Ideal primary fermenter for aromatic whites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktop

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, starting to look for equipment to start a boutique winery, about 1200 cases per year.
Looking for advice on the ideal primary ferment tanks for my whites which will be mostly Pinot Gris and Gewurtz. I am looking at 1000 to 2000L sized tanks. I know I want chilling capability to keep the ferment temp down and preserve aromatics, but I am unsure if chiller plates are a viable alternative or must it be jacketed tanks?
Would you go sealed top or use variable capacity so they can be used for storage tanks too?
Brands and other option advice appreciated.

RT

I have limited experience but I think these might fit the bill. (No connection with the company other than I use their tanks). They have sizes ranging from 180-550 gal (682-2082 L)

The ones I've used have glycol jackets on 2 sides, which is good for temperature-controlled ferments as well as cold stabilization. I'd be inclined to ferment in one tank and rack to another (smaller, full) tank for storage, with any extra going to stainless steel barrels and/or kegs.

Latest posts

Back