DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one issue lately. My DBSP has been having an after taste and smell that I can only describe as "plastic". The only plastics I use in my winemaking are the primary and the nylon mesh bag I use for the fruit.

The plastic taste is only present when the bottle is first opened. Once the wine is poured into a glass it takes about 15-20 mins for the taste to go away.

This is only the case with my DBSP. What could the problem be?

All batches/bottles were aged several months. Could the nylon bag be the issue or something else?

Did you use frozen fruit in a plastic bag? What brand was it? I've noticed that some brands of frozen stuff has a plasticky taste... Haven't had it with fruit yet but I had to stop buying trader joes tater tots because they tasted like plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Well I have been making wine for 6 months now and DB wine for 5 months. I just back sweetened the 4th batch Sunday and it is a tropical version.
A while ago I mentioned to Dave that I just didn't have the confidence yet to enter a contest. Well after seeing Gina's post that she entered a contest after her first 6 months I say what the heck.
Gina, Dave do you have room for a rookie? If so count me in. I will be entering in a bottle of the Three Berry Original and hopefully a bottle of the DB Tropical if that turns out ok.

Will

Of course there is room!

And we were all rookies at line point, and will always be rookies on SOME point.

You are in, Willie. Everyone gets to play! Glad you feel like a little friendly competition, and you have confidence in your wines.

We'll be shipping wines in about 30 days, so if anyone needs to start a fresh batch for this contest, you had better get it going.

I have one issue lately. My DBSP has been having an after taste and smell that I can only describe as "plastic". The only plastics I use in my winemaking are the primary and the nylon mesh bag I use for the fruit.

The plastic taste is only present when the bottle is first opened. Once the wine is poured into a glass it takes about 15-20 mins for the taste to go away.

This is only the case with my DBSP. What could the problem be?

All batches/bottles were aged several months. Could the nylon bag be the issue or something else?

Hi Rotgut I hope this helps you find where your getting your problems.
enclosed is the Aroma Wheel.

View attachment Aroma Wheel.pdf

Did you use frozen fruit in a plastic bag? What brand was it? I've noticed that some brands of frozen stuff has a plasticky taste... Haven't had it with fruit yet but I had to stop buying trader joes tater tots because they tasted like plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I've used several different brands. Some from Sam's, Target, Stop & Shop even the Dollar Tree.

I haven't noticed any plastic taste or smell while in the package but I will definitely be on the look out from this point on.

Hi Rotgut I hope this helps you find where your getting your problems.
enclosed is the Aroma Wheel.

Thanks the aroma wheel is a nice resource.

I've been thinking I may have to use a systematic approach to figure this out.

I need to figure out if it is the fruit brand or type or if it is a mistake that I am making.

I think I'll make 2 batches simultaneously using 2 different brands of fruit AND this time I will use cheese cloth instead of the nylon mesh bag.

This may narrow down any contributing factors.

I use a regular 5 gallon paint strainer bag myself you find at Lowes, just wash and sanitize, lol I even use it more than once as long as it comes clean. And oxyiclean is some good cleaner.:h

My first batch of DB is about 6 weeks old. It has gotten much better. Actually, its pretty good. It still has an acidic/tart taste. More so than I want. I used 45 oz of lemon juice. Is there any way to fix this short of making another batch with no lemon juice and mxing the two?

Will it continue to mellow? Will more sugar help?

My first batch of DB is about 6 weeks old. It has gotten much better. Actually, its pretty good. It still has an acidic/tart taste. More so than I want. I used 45 oz of lemon juice. Is there any way to fix this short of making another batch with no lemon juice and mxing the two?

Will it continue to mellow? Will more sugar help?

I think it may mellow a bit but not likely a whole lot.

Try adding a bit of sugar to half a glass and see if the taste improves. If it does and your still in a carboy I'd add the sugar to almost where you want it to taste leaving some room for it to mellow out just a bit. I'd add maybe an 1/8 tsp. of sorbate and watch for a bit to see that your batch doesn't start to referment.

Mine was still tart at 6 weeks, but after 10 it was very good. So it does still mellow with more age.

Will be racking my third batch off its clearing sediment this morning. I probably could go straight to bottling as I did with the last two batches but think because I've some bottles left from my 2nd batch I'll bulk age this 3rd batch a bit.

Will be racking my third batch off its clearing sediment this morning. I probably could go straight to bottling as I did with the last two batches but think because I've some bottles left from my 2nd batch I'll bulk age this 3rd batch a bit.

I am doing the same today! Mine has been sitting for a few weeks on a light sediment. I have not added any sugar yet. I'd like to add the sugar, bottle some for drinking soon and bulk age about half.

How likely is refermentation with this recipe?

I am doing the same today! Mine has been sitting for a few weeks on a light sediment. I have not added any sugar yet. I'd like to add the sugar, bottle some for drinking soon and bulk age about half.

Have not had a problem at all with this recipe once it has gone to dry for three days straight at an SG of .990. The 4th batch is in a carboy now bulk ageing.

With DB I've only back sweetened right after adding stabilizing agents and some stir degassing. I believe you should be okay but maybe to be on the safe side add a pinch of sorbate and stir in before you bottle some?

It was nice to have some DB on hand to top off after this mornings (finished about a half hour ago) racking to a fresh carboy.

Wife has the kitchen all tied up with her cooking and baking stuff so just a quick rinse on the carboy and equipment - thorough cleaning and sanitizing will have to wait until this afternoon. LIKE HER FOOD PREPARATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY WINE MAKING!? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!?
smilie.gif

Thank you Willie and Bkisel.

I have added 500g of sugar to my 5 UK gallons (23 litres) which tastes just about right for me. I'll get some sorbate in there now and get to work!

Need some help from all you veteran DB makers. I have access to a bunch of frozen cherries, but they have not been pitted. Could I use that fruit, pits and all in a DB or should they be pitted first? Sure would make life easier if I didn't have to pit them but I don't want to waste them either. Thanks for your advice.

Need some help from all you veteran DB makers. I have access to a bunch of frozen cherries, but they have not been pitted. Could I use that fruit, pits and all in a DB or should they be pitted first? Sure would make life easier if I didn't have to pit them but I don't want to waste them either. Thanks for your advice.

I believe leaving the pits will add some bite to the wine which to some tastes might actually be a plus. Tough call without having tried it myself or hearing from someone who has.

I would suggest looking up a cherry wine recipe here in the recipe section first to see if the cherries were pitted in that, then follow that advice for your DB.

After re-reading through much of this thread. I'm thinking maybe not degassing enough could be part of my problem with the after taste.

I would suggest looking up a cherry wine recipe here in the recipe section first to see if the cherries were pitted in that, then follow that advice for your DB.

Great idea! I searched online and found about an even split between pitted and unpitted cherries for cherry wines. All said to be sure the pits were intact. Looks like I may have scored some cherry DB.

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back