DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recipe is the same as the original triple or quad-berry, but only blueberries are used. The recipe can be read and downloaded from Post #1 on page 1.

Thanks Dave!!!

Glad to see most people like the blueberry version. So many varitions to enjoy. At my house, I always have lots of DB original (current "perfected version" v3.0). My wife also really enjoys the strawberry/lemon (96oz lemon juice) and the raspberry version, while I'm a big fan of the blackberry. Shoot, they're all delicious, IYAM!

Vint on, vintners! :br

DanngerDave,

I just finished my 6th or 7th or 8th ? , I think, batch of Dragon Blood Wine. This one was a 5 gallon batch made with 6 pounds of fresh hand picked Blueberrys and 1 pound of frozen Blackberrys. Best yet!!! The original recipe was awesome and I have been making it with anything and everything I can put in my freeze bags and not a bad batch yet. I just wish to express my appriciation of your kindness to share your recipe and your knowledge with others. :hug

Joe

I'm still shocked! All these DB makers and so few participating in the contest.

OhMahGoodness! I saw this earlier and now I want to make a series of DB variants just so I can name them after the Game of Thrones dragons (BTW, I LOVE Daenerys Targaryen, she's HAWT!)

t600x390.jpg

But what variants would be suitable for Viserion (cream and gold), Rhaegal (green and bronze), and Drogon (black and red)???

Best I can think is:
Cream/gold- maybe a tropical
black/red- blackberry
green/bronze- only legal in a few states?:sm Really, I got nothing else...

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Drogon

You are very welcome, Joe. I'm glad it's working for you. Thank you, too.

And Gina, I must agree, Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) is pretty smokin'! :db

Well......I don't know anything about this contest, so I'm guessing that could possibly be why :?

I too am blessed with AMAZING property! And this year, the blueberries are WONDERFUL! I've already picked 4 freezer bags full. I plan on starting another blueberry version. Never thought of adding some blackberries in there.
Thanks for the suggestion, Joe! :)

Yes she is my Brutha from anutha mutha ::

Ummm... well her brutha was kind of an abusive POS.

Well......I don't know anything about this contest, so I'm guessing that could possibly be why :?

I too am blessed with AMAZING property! And this year, the blueberries are WONDERFUL! I've already picked 4 freezer bags full. I plan on starting another blueberry version. Never thought of adding some blackberries in there.
Thanks for the suggestion, Joe! :)

Well Rosa, and anyone else interested, the thread for the WMT (Unofficial) Dragon Blood Variant Contest is here. There is still plenty of time to join in. The dates for entries to be made began May 31st and they need to be to the judges (myself and Chasemandingo) by Labor Day weekend. At this point, one still has time to run a DB batch start to finish. The only caveat in entering (in my opinion) is shipping can be a bit tricky and a touch expensive. If you would be interested in joining any contest, you should definitely read up on shipping protocol.

It's always worth a shot, who knew I would have placed second in the very first contest I ever entered, with an experimental wine that I made just for fun in spirit of the contest (because I was too shy to submit it) after only making wine 2 days less than 3 months. To be honest, I was so unsure, that it took a few encouraging forum members to nudge me to enter. See, even noobs have a shot.

I may be hunted down and shot by Dave while I'm in his neck of the woods this weekend for that last statement. I swear Dave, I'm only trying to be encouraging.

Also, we have rocked out 3x 1ltr quad-berry bottles and it's almost 5AM, so I'm a little loquacious.

OhMahGoodness! I saw this earlier and now I want to make a series of DB variants just so I can name them after the Game of Thrones dragons (BTW, I LOVE Daenerys Targaryen, she's HAWT!)

t600x390.jpg

But what variants would be suitable for Viserion (cream and gold), Rhaegal (green and bronze), and Drogon (black and red)???

Best I can think is:
Cream/gold- maybe a tropical
black/red- blackberry
green/bronze- only legal in a few states?:sm Really, I got nothing else...

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Drogon

Name one Viserys and pour a gold wax over the cork hole...

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Speaking for myself... Contests and competitions are a level or aspect of wine making that I've no interest in pursuing. That said, I believe I can readily understand and appreciate other's interest in competing.

A lot of wine making is having confidence in your abilities. I think that even the smallest recognition by one's peers can be a great boost---as I am sure Gina could attest.

Speaking for myself... Contests and competitions are a level or aspect of wine making that I've no interest in pursuing. That said, I believe I can readily understand and appreciate other's interest in competing.

I am about in that boat with you.
I signed up, but now I find myself too busy with other things.
Not to mention taste is a very subjective thing.
I compete on a golf course,
Wine I drink for fun!
:se

Busy today with my third DB batch. Stabilized, back sweetened, added clearing agents and now in the process of following up stir degassing with Vacu Vin hand pump degassing. Starting SG was 1.082 on day 2 and today was 0.992 (Before back sweetening. Once again forgot to take SG after sweetening.) so according to the online ABV Calculator 11.81% ABV.

Last edited:
A lot of wine making is having confidence in your abilities. I think that even the smallest recognition by one's peers can be a great boost---as I am sure Gina could attest.

Attesting! I was only 6 months in when the Welch's competition started. Who knew?!?

Well I have been making wine for 6 months now and DB wine for 5 months. I just back sweetened the 4th batch Sunday and it is a tropical version.
A while ago I mentioned to Dave that I just didn't have the confidence yet to enter a contest. Well after seeing Gina's post that she entered a contest after her first 6 months I say what the heck.
Gina, Dave do you have room for a rookie? If so count me in. I will be entering in a bottle of the Three Berry Original and hopefully a bottle of the DB Tropical if that turns out ok.

Will

I have one issue lately. My DBSP has been having an after taste and smell that I can only describe as "plastic". The only plastics I use in my winemaking are the primary and the nylon mesh bag I use for the fruit.

The plastic taste is only present when the bottle is first opened. Once the wine is poured into a glass it takes about 15-20 mins for the taste to go away.

This is only the case with my DBSP. What could the problem be?

All batches/bottles were aged several months. Could the nylon bag be the issue or something else?

Last edited:
Well.....you've heard of farm to table, right?
Well I'm going from farm to ferment tonight! ;) New batch of blueberry underway!!!!

2014-07-29 20.21.57.jpg

Back