DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, speaking as a wine snob who loves his big tannic reds and old world European wines, I find myself drawn to my blueberry dragon blood over and over again. Especially after working in the vineyard on a hot day I so look forward to an ice cold blue blood. And, my friends all love it too. I need to make more!!!

From what I've read, the right thing to do is have a measurement taken of the acidity, and then adjust up or down using either acid blend to make it more acidic or calcium carbonate to make it less acidic. The downside of adding calcium carbonate however, is that too much will alter the flavor. Acid adjustments should probably be done before primary fermentation. But don't quote me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Tbh, I would use potassium (bi)carbonate instead of calcium carbonate. 1) it's adds another source of potassium to you nutrients, and 2) calcium carbonate can give a "chalky" flavor to some wines.

I have to say, speaking as a wine snob who loves his big tannic reds and old world European wines, I find myself drawn to my blueberry dragon blood over and over again. Especially after working in the vineyard on a hot day I so look forward to an ice cold blue blood. And, my friends all love it too. I need to make more!!!

Greg, since it sounds like you have at least one batch of blueberry dragon blood under your belt, can I ask you a couple questions?

1. How much fruit do you use?
2. How much lemon juice?
3. What starting gravity do you shoot for?
4. Have you ever made it from "home grown" blueberries? If so, did you treat them with Campden or another sulfite before fementation? And if yes to that, how much did you use?

Of course, I would be happy to hear from anyone who wants to chime in!

Thanks in advance! I picked about 20 pound of berries the other day and just through them in the freezer so I'm hoping to start a blueberry DB sometime this week. :h

I just bottled my blueberry yesterday. I followed exact recipe with 48oz lemon juice and double blueberrys to 12lbs frozen from walmart. I back sweetened to 1.040. It sat 2 months and is the best I made yet. I'm starting another batch today cause if will b done very soon. I have a lot of blueberrys but they're so damm good to eat fresh I can't get myself to make wine outta them yet.

I just bottled my blueberry yesterday. I followed exact recipe with 48oz lemon juice and double blueberrys to 12lbs frozen from walmart. I back sweetened to 1.040. It sat 2 months and is the best I made yet. I'm starting another batch today cause if will b done very soon. I have a lot of blueberrys but they're so damm good to eat fresh I can't get myself to make wine outta them yet.

Was that 1.040 or 1.004 that you backsweetened to? I am planning to double the blueberries so glad to hear that you really liked your batch that way.

I am debating about whether to go pick some more blueberries on Monday. As it stands, I have enough for 1 batch of wine, 3 pies, and a couple pounds to eat...but if my DB turns out as good as yours, I may be wishing I had more fruit in the freezer! ;)

Greg, since it sounds like you have at least one batch of blueberry dragon blood under your belt, can I ask you a couple questions?

1. How much fruit do you use?
2. How much lemon juice?
3. What starting gravity do you shoot for?
4. Have you ever made it from "home grown" blueberries? If so, did you treat them with Campden or another sulfite before fementation? And if yes to that, how much did you use?

Of course, I would be happy to hear from anyone who wants to chime in!

Thanks in advance! I picked about 20 pound of berries the other day and just through them in the freezer so I'm hoping to start a blueberry DB sometime this week. :h

I used 2 liters of organic "Italian Volcano" lemon juice, 8 pounds of frozen blueberries, 5 gal water, 11.25 pounds sugar to SG 1.084 (21 brix), 1g k-meta, 2.5 tsp pectinase.

After 24 hour I added some yeast nutrient and EC-1118. I'm trying another batch similar amounts (10 pounds fruit) with organic lime juice and 71b yeast.

I'm sure someone has already thought of this, but DB makes awesome Sangria. Really, any wine makes an awesome Sangria though... I chopped up a couple of fresh peaches, some meyer lemons, tossed in some sugar... tasted pretty good to me... ;-)

I put on a 4-berry blend earlier. Have racked off the lees but haven't sweetened or bottled. Been sitting in bulk for about a month now. Drew out some for dinner this evening and I thoroughly enjoyed it "unsweetened". I'm not a fan of the big, bold reds or harsh tannins. This was dry put not puckering with nice fruit flavor. Went well with our dinner.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Was going to start my first DB today printed the recipe off but then I thought I seen where you change a few things. I have 1 bottle of lemon juice 20 cups sugar 1 tap tannin 3 tap yeast nutrients 1 top yeast energizer 3 top pectin enzyme water to 6 gallon 6# of fruit is all this right

Val I wud say semi sweet. Doubling the fruit really brings out the fruit flavor more. If I were to recommend a first timer I'd say double fruit right away. It does cost alittle more but it's well worth the flavor.

Was going to start my first DB today printed the recipe off but then I thought I seen where you change a few things. I have 1 bottle of lemon juice 20 cups sugar 1 tap tannin 3 tap yeast nutrients 1 top yeast energizer 3 top pectin enzyme water to 6 gallon 6# of fruit is all this right

I've been using the recipe that is in the very first post of this thread. I believe Dave has kept it current but even if not it has worked for me with great results. Two batches nearly finished drinking and gifting and my third batch into "secondary" just yesterday.

Glad to see most people like the blueberry version. So many varitions to enjoy. At my house, I always have lots of DB original (current "perfected version" v3.0). My wife also really enjoys the strawberry/lemon (96oz lemon juice) and the raspberry version, while I'm a big fan of the blackberry. Shoot, they're all delicious, IYAM!

Vint on, vintners! :br

Called March Farm, a local pick your own apple, etc. farm here in Connecticut, to ask about when their peaches will be ready. They're thinking around the second week in August. I'm psyched! I'm really excited about making a peach DB variant for my wife.

Thinking about the likely color of a peach DB variant might it have to be thought of as Dragon Pee?
smilie.gif
Sorry if I've offended you SP fans.
smilie.gif

Last edited:
Called March Farm, a local pick your own apple, etc. farm here in Connecticut, to ask about when their peaches will be ready. They're thinking around the second week in August. I'm psyched! I'm really excited about making a peach DB variant for my wife.

Thinking about the likely color of a peach DB variant might it have to be thought of as Dragon Pee?
smilie.gif
Sorry if I've offended you SP fans.
smilie.gif

:h Hey, Bill I'm sure you have noticed the looks on peoples faces when you say the name Dragon Blood. If I tell them that I have a wine called Dragon Pee they may just loose it.
Will

Glad to see most people like the blueberry version. So many varitions to enjoy. At my house, I always have lots of DB original (current "perfected version" v3.0). My wife also really enjoys the strawberry/lemon (96oz lemon juice) and the raspberry version, while I'm a big fan of the blackberry. Shoot, they're all delicious, IYAM!

Vint on, vintners! :br

Where can I find the recipe for the blueberry version?

Latest posts

Back