DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea! I searched online and found about an even split between pitted and unpitted cherries for cherry wines. All said to be sure the pits were intact. Looks like I may have scored some cherry DB.

Thanks for the input.

Are you going to go with 6 pounds of cherry?

Hey Roger! Years ago, when I first started making DB, I tried a cherry/lemon version I called "Le Mon Cheri" (you like that, don't ya!). I can't remember how much fruit I used (my notes are at home), but I think it was either 6 or 9 pounds---as you suggested for yours. They were dark sweet cherries, and the end product did not have much "cherry" flavor, even after back sweetening. In the end, I flavored it with cherry Kool Aid, and it came out great. One of my best friends claimed it was his favorate. I haven't made it again.

That's just an FYI. You may need more cherries than you think to bring out some good flavor. Since I've only tried it once, I can't advise you much further. Good luck, my man!

Hey Roger! Years ago, when I first started making DB, I tried a cherry/lemon version I called "Le Mon Cheri" (you like that, don't ya!). I can't remember how much fruit I used (my notes are at home), but I think it was either 6 or 9 pounds---as you suggested for yours. They were dark sweet cherries, and the end product did not have much "cherry" flavor, even after back sweetening. In the end, I flavored it with cherry Kool Aid, and it came out great. One of my best friends claimed it was his favorate. I haven't made it again.

That's just an FYI. You may need more cherries than you think to bring out some good flavor. Since I've only tried it once, I can't advise you much further. Good luck, my man!

Thanks for the reply Dave. Of course I like Le Mon Cheri. I wish I had thought of it.

As for the Koolaid, I may have to resort to that to get the flavor. I appreciate the idea. As long as it tastes good. That's what really matters.:dg

My first batch for the dragon blood contest is cherry lime db. No cherry flavor at all so I sweetened with cherry kool aid. My wife has almost drunk the entire batch. I don't really think it tastes like wine. More like alcoholic kool aid. Not sure if I'm gonna submit it for the contest or not. But it is good. I could have just as easily made a batch of kool aid and mixed it with vodka. Could have saved some trouble

Anyone ever make a complete mess when filtering/bottling wine?

I just created a disaster filtering some raspberry wine I made earlier this year... Knocked over the jar of saved top-off wine which fell and hit another jar which shattered and then dumped all of its contents on the kitchen floor.

So glass shards + raspberry wine... Ugh. I don't even want to post the photo of it. :[

Maybe I need to switch to all plastic!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I just created a disaster filtering some raspberry wine I made earlier this year... Knocked over the jar of saved top-off wine which fell and hit another jar which shattered and then dumped all of its contents on the kitchen floor.

So glass shards + raspberry wine... Ugh. I don't even want to post the photo of it. :[

Have not broken any glass (Yet) but sure have spilled the wine a few times.

Will

Broke an Italian 23 liter carboy (more like 6.5 gallons) while in the process of washing the carboy. Nothing spilled except some rinse water and that went right down the sink drain. Turns out I did get just a little cut.

I prefer using my plastic carboys over my glass ones but still find use for the glass. I use them for degassing stage where I use a Vacu Vin hand pump over the course of a couple of days.

No carboys yet, but I've broken more than my share of hydrometers, and spilled more than my share of wine at bottling time, racking, and filtering. You should see the stains on the carpet I have in my basement winery....:sh

ps...the odds of me breaking a hydrometer go up exponentially with each batch I taste during racking.
sent from my old XP driven desktop computer.

I bottled my first batch of Dragon Blood on July 28th - just what, 4 days ago?! I did some sub-batches and ended up with 5 bottles of dry and 5 bottles of semi-sweet that I am putting away to age. Plus I am hiding 3 bottles of "regular" DB so I can at least try some that has had a chance to age. That being said, I am already dangerously low and in a panic trying to figure out how soon I can have some more ready if I start right away! My friends, even the ones who are normally dry red wine drinkers, are raving about it and have seriously depleted my supply over the course of several events in the last few days. I will definitely be running to Costco first thing tomorrow morning for some triple berry mix and, if the wine gods are smiling on me, I will be putting ingredients in my primary fermenter for the next batch by afternoon.

I just want to say thanks, Dave! I never dreamed I could make such a fantastic wine and it's all thanks to your awesome recipe and this forum! :h

Anyone have any experience with the Dragon Blood recipe using fresh blackberries? I have access to an abundance of fresh blackberries (the large berries) and I'm trying to decide on a recipe. I may actually end up having to freeze the berries until I come back from vacation in 2 weeks until I can do something with them. Any ideas?

Anyone have any experience with the Dragon Blood recipe using fresh blackberries? I have access to an abundance of fresh blackberries (the large berries) and I'm trying to decide on a recipe. I may actually end up having to freeze the berries until I come back from vacation in 2 weeks until I can do something with them. Any ideas?

No experience using fresh blackberries but my guess if you've liked DB with frozen tri-berry or quad-berry you'd probably be happy with the results using your now frozen (3 days or longer) blackberries. The quad-berry mix I got from Stop and Shop and the 2 penta-berry mixes I got from Costco all had blackberry as part of the mix.

I would use the same DB recipe after finding out if there is any concern with wild yeast from your fresh blackberries.

Even if the berries are fresh, freeze them, then thaw them in the microwave before you use them to make your DB. It helps the fruit to break down during fermentation. Better flavor extraction.

And you are welocme, Val. Glad everyone has enjoyed it. I make DB almost constantly. Gotta keep it coming!

No experience using fresh blackberries but my guess if you've liked DB with frozen tri-berry or quad-berry you'd probably be happy with the results using your now frozen (3 days or longer) blackberries. The quad-berry mix I got from Stop and Shop and the 2 penta-berry mixes I got from Costco all had blackberry as part of the mix.

I would use the same DB recipe after finding out if there is any concern with wild yeast from your fresh blackberries.

I used the quad berry blend in my first batch which has been bottled for about 6 months now. It's excellent!

Even if the berries are fresh, freeze them, then thaw them in the microwave before you use them to make your DB. It helps the fruit to break down during fermentation. Better flavor extraction.

And you are welocme, Val. Glad everyone has enjoyed it. I make DB almost constantly. Gotta keep it coming!

Thanks Dave. I have no choice but to freeze them at this point. I didn't even think of it helping break down. I have 4 quarts in my possession now, hopefully many more to come!:b

My peeps LOVE the BlackBerry only version. If I recall correctly, I just used 6lb per gal. Would have been fruitier if I has more at the time. But yes, definitely freeze the berries first!

I did a blackberry db and added 10 lbs plus a fpac afterwards and boy it is delicious. Yes I always freeze my fruit before using.

I did a blackberry db and added 10 lbs plus a fpac afterwards and boy it is delicious. Yes I always freeze my fruit before using.

10 lbs? How many gallons was that for? The original DB recipe was 1 lb per gallon but i doubled fruit on my first recipe.

why not post the recipe here for all, and for future DBer's. We love new recipes.

Latest posts

Back