Coconut wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On crops like corn the grains go through milk stage into dough and then dehydrate making dent corn. very likely that coco nut also does this sequence.
Occasionally the lab would run something as tissue culture on plant material. For this the exterior would be sanitized, cut open with sterile knives and then “collected” . ,,, The interior of plants as well as animals is assumed to be sterile. If there are microbes in the tissue it is diseased.
Wow. Just before your post I found a scientific paper long and very scientific paper about that - Development and evaluation of a fermented coconut water beverage with potential health benefits - and it mentioned washing and sterilizing the nut etc. the end take is fermented coconut water can be good for you.

Here’s another article about how people prepare it like kombucha or kefir or whatever. It says it gets a vinegary taste after you see the fermenting bubbles as it uses the natural sugars up. I’m worried I might get coconut vinegar, but I have the advantage that I added sugar to it and I can hopefully backsweeten any nasty taste down Benefits Of Coconut Water + How To Ferment It

Hers an article that describes what I tasted 2 days ago. “
During this time, the bacteria in the culture eat the sugars in the water, grow beneficial probiotics and create a bubbly, tangy drink with far less sweetness than the original coconut water and many more benefits, mainly probiotics. Fermented coconut water is just teeming with beneficial microbes.

A dry champagne spritzer!”

Dave,it’s from the make sauerkraut website !
https://www.makesauerkraut.com/fermented-coconut-water/

Still not any good information on coconut water wine. 🤷‍♂️ I might be making vinegar, or …..

all those healthy kombucha people out there. Seems like it’s like Gatorade slightly fermented and chilled. I’m not gonna join gatorademakers forum.

Last edited:
I was going to bottle the mango wine batch this weekend so I had some room for coconut in secondary, and hopefully start a new batch of something.But the Fed ex delivery that was supposed to happen today is going back to label peelers. Fed ex says “ delivery exception. oops something apparently broke and Box is going all the way back. I would have been happy to take what was still OK and wait for replacements. No bottles no yeast etc etc. arrrgggh !

good news is I found a local B&M wine supplies about 8 miles away. Prices are a little higher but without shipping it’s about the same. If you don’t consider nearly $5.00 gas.

Color a little more toward the light yellow side.
SG 1.030
now the taste….

still a decent taste. I sipped and tried to think what the tang was since it seemed familiar.

then I remembered a few nights ago when I was drinking a dark and stormy. It tastes a bit like ginger beer now !

I was going to bottle the mango wine batch this weekend so I had some room for coconut in secondary, and hopefully start a new batch of something.But the Fed ex delivery that was supposed to happen today is going back to label peelers. Fed ex says “ delivery exception. oops something apparently broke and Box is going all the way back. I would have been happy to take what was still OK and wait for replacements. No bottles no yeast etc etc. arrrgggh !

good news is I found a local B&M wine supplies about 8 miles away. Prices are a little higher but without shipping it’s about the same. If you don’t consider nearly $5.00 gas.
I don't know what's going on with FedEx. I'll get "on truck for delivery" messages one day, and then "operational delay" for 2 or 3. I feel your pain.

This afternoon SG 1.020

have a nasty toothache - getting root canal on Monday.

have to see how I feel. Monday might be move to secondary day

tooth currently getting an alcohol bath with coffee rum 🥃

have a nasty toothache - getting root canal on Monday.
Sorry to hear it! Been there twice. You'll feel better when it's over. [The worst part is holding your mouth open for 2 hours.]

Take ibuprofen (or your favorite pain killer) with you and take it immediately afterward. I found that the faster it was in me, the faster the pain relief.

Today 1.013
tasted a little sharper. Or maybe that’s all the ibuprofen I’ve been eating.

what do you experts think ? Should I move to secondary ?
there’s really nothing to eat in there except yeast. It’s been 8 full days. Although SG still dropping a little should it remain exposed to the air ?

Today 1.013
tasted a little sharper. Or maybe that’s all the ibuprofen I’ve been eating.

what do you experts think ? Should I move to secondary ?
there’s really nothing to eat in there except yeast. It’s been 8 full days. Although SG still dropping a little should it remain exposed to the air ?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that there aren't a boatload of opinions concerning SG and moving to secondary. Where is everybody?

Personally, if I think there's going to be a lot of gross lees I might delay. But generally, if it's in the ballpark of 1.0ish I go for it.

No expert here but I’ll share my opinion from limited experience… if you’re SG is that low and you’re concerned about oxygen issues, transfer to a carboy with an airlock. Off gassing of CO2 will fill the headspace and disperse out the lock, and your yeast can keep doing their thing until they’re done. You’re probably past the potential volcano stage so moving to a carboy won’t be life threatening.

As far as lees goes, moving off what you have is ok to do, and any more that are created aren’t a problem, just rack again. You don’t have solid fruit in there so there probably aren’t any gross lees. You have several months anyway with them from what I understand. Then you’re left with fine lees. You could delestage, there’s a whole posting on that. Or, when it’s completely done (no SG movement for several days) rack again.

OR… if you have the container space, rack to two different carboys, one that contains fine lees and do delestage, and one that does not. Compare the tastes of the two as they progress and see what you like.

You could also airlock it and wait until you’re off the ibuprofen.… LOL

I’ve sampled from the bottom of the bucket, or close to it and there weren’t gross lees. Really no lees to speak of.

I’m probably going to move it to secondary later today. SG should be even a little lower. 🦩 🦷 🤕

Last edited:
Well there you are. Under bubbler now.
SG 1.006
Sorry I didn’t taste this time.
if this doesn’t clear much when fermentation stops, I won’t be totally disappointed. This kind of looks like “coconut wine”

9C0AC759-28BD-4725-9DCD-DCD2DF68D90F.jpeg7C9BD3F8-5AC4-4FB4-A896-D91A93931324.jpeg
Here is what was in the bottom. Looks like all yeast.
D57ECA32-C787-4DEC-9915-42B83DE3F55C.jpeg

Back