Coconut wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And we’re off !

Step one, gather your coconuts. Young coconuts full of water. The brown outside is frost burn from a month or so ago.20AB4C91-898A-4EE2-BE8D-AD15DB0B716A.jpeg
8F284DBD-329D-477A-8B0A-4E8F21F74F65.jpeg143A37A1-7F43-4392-B787-431D05FF14BE.jpeg
Then skillfully chop off their top so you can get the water out. 09DBC831-1FF3-4E95-879C-B51E996C528B.jpeg
a little over one gallon in the bucket.C0DCF5FB-EFA9-4100-AD32-73EA21C87340.jpeg

Couple of small chunks of grass floating in there and a few little tiny pieces of husk that fell in. They will ferment out. 😮. Enzyme and energizer are now stirred in.
Not sure if I should wait for 24 hours to pitch the yeast. Not too sure what the enzyme will be acting on in there. ill check the coconut water SG shortly and then add sugar.

10 -15 young coconuts required. Depends on how big you’re nuts are. 😉

Last edited:
You remember when you were little and you’re friends dared you to do something ? Jump your bike off an ironing board ramp, shoot an arrow in the air and run, eat something weird, ? You know That feeling ?
🥥🍷😥
in the back of my mind I hear my Mom saying…”if all your friends told you to make coconut wine does that mean you should do it ?”

Last edited:
OK 2 more 1 gallon jugs on the way. I’m resisting the urge to make 3 -6 gallons at a time. My house isn’t that big.

stay tuned for pictures this afternoon. 🌴🥥🥥🥥🥥🥥🥥🥥🍷

I've been reading your posts with interest: fresh pinapple, mango, and coconuts. I love mango! Very different from what grows in my neighborhood: berries, apples, peaches, pears. We make wine from what we have available to us.

OK. Now there doesn’t appear to be fermentation going on.
less than 15 hours later.

now what.?
Exercise patience. And use your hydrometer to judge progress. If the SG is dropping, there is activity.

Your yeast may be shy and not want to reproduce in front of you

413D16FF-EDCB-4A57-A629-25C0132805FB.jpegSG 1.072 today. I’ll take it.
sharp smell when sniffing bucket, but not in glass.
It tasted wonderful. Sweet of course, since still a lot of sugar not eaten, but coconuty and yummy.
I'm hoping……

color is now a cloudy semi clear. It’s actually a nice color.

I had to go back for a second sip.

if this works out I WILL be asking friends for coconuts.

View attachment 86174SG 1.072 today. I’ll take it.
sharp smell when sniffing bucket, but not in glass.
It tasted wonderful. Sweet of course, since still a lot of sugar not eaten, but coconuty and yummy.
I'm hoping……

color is now a cloudy semi clear. It’s actually a nice color.

I had to go back for a second sip.

if this works out I WILL be asking friends for coconuts.
That looks like a wonderful base for all your other tropical goodies 😋

OK. This is really getting interesting. It’s been bubbling nicely all day today so I just let it be.
took an SG reading tonight, and of course I HAD to taste it.
oh my goodness. The taste ! It was almost like a coconut soda at this point. Very flavorful and almost carbonated. This is shaping up to be a keeper. Color similar to yesterday. Maybe just a little milkier, not much. Kind of opaque.

1.036 tonight. 👍🏼

tastes a little different now. Not bad, just different. More like mature coconut water than young coconut water. I’m wondering if coconut water ferments a little in older mature fruit on the tree ?
managed to spill a little on the floor. Sticky stuff. Guess who will be mopping the kitchen tomorrow. 🪣🧹

I'm following your experiment with great interest!!

I'm pretty sure the coconuts on the tree would need oxygen and yeast to ferment. Whack with your machete or drill a couple holes, protect from bugs, see what Mother Nature does. The drops from my fruit trees are a favorite with yellow jackets, raccoons, and deer. The entire area smells "boozy".

Last edited:
On crops like corn the grains go through milk stage into dough and then dehydrate making dent corn. very likely that coco nut also does this sequence.
Occasionally the lab would run something as tissue culture on plant material. For this the exterior would be sanitized, cut open with sterile knives and then “collected” . ,,, The interior of plants as well as animals is assumed to be sterile. If there are microbes in the tissue it is diseased.
1.036 tonight. , , tastes a little different now. Not bad, just different. More like mature coconut water than young coconut water. I’m wondering if coconut water ferments a little in older mature fruit on the tree ?

Latest posts

Back