Chilean Wine Making Class

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any folks in the NW Pennsylvania area, I will be hosting a Chilean workshop on the 18th of this month at 10am. It will be held at Presque Isle Wine Cellars. Charles from Luva Bellas, Kris from 21 Brix, and Doug Moorehead will be joining me.
We will cover the origin of the juice, the use of different yeasts, tannins and oak. I will be doing a session on blending and making port. Feel free to bring your Chilean pride or problem wine. I will be pulling some of mine from the library from several years ago for tasting. No charge but you must call to register. You will also be given a chance to preorder your juice at a one time price offer.

Dan, you're killin' me!

Wish I could be there!
Have fun, who ever makes it!
Should be an awesome Class

Dam it, I'm going to be out of town that weekend or I would have talked Mike in driving up for that!

I second that! Dan, If I make it up there, do ya think that I could whine and beg long enough to get a walk through of the winery when the class is over? Not to put ya on the spot or anything...LOL!
It's no fair, you get to work at a dream job!

Dan, You know I want to be there, I just cant make it in my shorts and flip flops!

Geez Dan! Could you video it so we can watch?

I would love to attend, and horn in on Tom's tour, but it's just to bloody far!

(seriously, think about the video thing!)

OK Folks some great news:

The class date has been changed and will be announced. Probably the 8th or 22nd of February.

I am working with the American Wine Society clubs in Pittsburgh for two things. 1. To hold a Chilean workshop at their conference 2. to add another section to their wine competition for Chilean juice. This is very preliminary but they seen very receptive to it.

This sounds very interesting and will keep my eye open to see if I can make it. But, have one (possibly silly) question...
Is there something extra special about Chilian wine/juice, or just a regional thing that you have a vested interest in?

Is there something extra special about Chilian wine/juice, or just a regional thing that you have a vested interest in?

Chile is in the southern atmosphere.. They're having summer right now.

Chilean juices come in, in our spring
American, etc, juices, come in, in our fall.

It's a way to make more grape wines, without trying to stress out & over-do it every fall, all at once.

This would be one of those opportunities that I'd love to get in on but can't. I am partial to some of the Chilean wines I've tried (commercially made) and even the Chilean Cabernet/Merlot kit that I did. I've just recently had several tastes of a Chilean wine that I found quite interesting and might be fun to try and either duplicate it or at least get as close as I could. It was simply called "Epica" Chile Red Wine made by San Pedro out of Santiago, Chile. Stated to have flavors of cherry and dark cocoa. Actually, I got barely a hint of that and found it had more of an overtone of sweet raisins ??? and was a bit heavier similar to a port style ??? Interesting. There is no mention of the grape variety so I wouldn't know what base to start with and how to get the cherry/cocoa hint or how to replicate the raisin/port effect. I'd sure like to hear from yourself or others that are able to attend, that may be able to help out on this question. Jerry :dg

It was simply called "Epica" Chile Red Wine made by San Pedro out of Santiago, Chile. Stated to have flavors of cherry and dark cocoa. Actually, I got barely a hint of that and found it had more of an overtone of sweet raisins ??? and was a bit heavier similar to a port style ??? Interesting. There is no mention of the grape variety so I wouldn't know what base to start with and how to get the cherry/cocoa hint or how to replicate the raisin/port effect. I'd sure like to hear from yourself or others that are able to attend, that may be able to help out on this question

From here:

"A blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Carmenere, and 5% Syrah"

From here:

" For the Cabernet Sauvignon, we chose the Maipo, Colchagua and Maule Valleys, while the carmenere and Syrah grapes were sourced exclusively in the Maule Valley"

Seen another website that said 60% Cab Sauv. & 20% each of the other two

Chilean Wine Making - Epica Red

From here:

"A blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Carmenere, and 5% Syrah"

From here:

" For the Cabernet Sauvignon, we chose the Maipo, Colchagua and Maule Valleys, while the carmenere and Syrah grapes were sourced exclusively in the Maule Valley"

Seen another website that said 60% Cab Sauv. & 20% each of the other two

Thanks Deezil. I will focus my searching/research in these areas. Might be difficult for me here to the proportions of the 3 different varietal grapes (or juices) where I am. But I will try! Jerry :dg

Latest posts

Back