Bulk Aging my first kit...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troezen

Junior
Reaction score
I've been reading around and I'm thinking about giving my first kit (WE Selections International Chilean Malbec/Shiraz w/ Grape Skins) about 90 days of bulk aging before bottling.

Will I need to be able to measure SO2 to ensure that my sulfite level is decent enough? If I keep the bottle capped with a solid bung with little headroom will I have to worry about it?

Anyway if anyone can give me any recommendations on this subject I would greatly appreciate it. I've heard good things about bulk aging these reds and I have an extra carboy so I figure why not? I can let it clear up even more and develop a bit better even before bottling.

Thanks in advance.

Once you rack off your fermenting carboy, add 1/4 tsp of meta. I assume you'll be racking a few more times in this 90 day period as your wine clears and drops sediment. Measuring S02 before bottling is best but if you do not have a way of doing so, I would add another 1/4 tsp a few days before bottling.

Once you rack off your fermenting carboy, add 1/4 tsp of meta. I assume you'll be racking a few more times in this 90 day period as your wine clears and drops sediment. Measuring S02 before bottling is best but if you do not have a way of doing so, I would add another 1/4 tsp a few days before bottling.

Well, I could conceivably pick up a kit for measuring SO2 but the ones I've found seem very expensive for only 10 tests... anyone have any experience with good economical options?

I'm not hard up for cash or anything (if I was I wouldn't be taking this hobby up) but there's a limit to what my wifey will let me blow up front :)

Running wolf: when is the best time to add the meta? How long before botteling?

Sorry I do not have any experience with any of those test kits. I use the vinmetrica which costs $250.00. Unless if your making a lot of wine I would be spending money on more carboys and juice.

I purchased those test kits and used them---Once! That's all it took for me to buy the Vinmetrica setup. Depending upon who looked at the samples, and the lighting conditions, there was a huge disparity as to the protection level of the wine. They aren't worth the money---IMHO :b

Latest posts

Back