BOGO! BOGO! Coastal white - no limit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HMMM now you guys got me thinking here instead of just a strawberry wine I can use what I got thus far frozen and toss this in with one of the kits....decisions decisions

I am definitely doing this with my remaining strawberries to see what happens.

Last edited:
okay im down for that as well, sounds like fun, should we all follow the same recipe? or at least try to stick within the same amount of strawberries?

What an awesome idea! I say to each his/her own! Two rules only:

1) Must use the aforementioned Wine Expert Vintner's Reserve Coastal White (White Burgundy Style) Wine Kit.

2) Must use strawberries.

Come the Fall, we'll choose an appropriate impartial judge. Maybe Dan or Julie. Winner gets massive kudos and bragging rights for a year!

Who's in? <this is fun already!>

I'll do it like they do with the Mezza Luna kits - put the oak chips in primary and rack off it into secondary. Without the oak, the wine misses structure.

Looking at it another way, this is a cheap way to get a known must for use with experimental wines, which is what I am going to do with one of the kits.

do you have to sanitize the oak?

I wouldn't think so if you have kept it in a secure environment. I simply poured four ounces from their (zip locked) bag into the primary. I might add I have not seen a lot of visible yeast activity. If I didn't have my hydrometer in there I couldn't tell they are eating away. Went from 1.085 to 1.070 in the first 24 hours.

They are out of stock. Anyone willing to share one of their kits? I will pay for the kit plus your shipping.

do you have to sanitize the oak?

quick easy way to do this, put in a bowl add water to cover the chips leave plenty of room, cover the bowl with a plate or something of the likes, place in the microwave boil for a bit, let it cool and repeat, then add contents of bowl to your wine. then there is nothing to worry about

I always just add the oak straight in. Never a problem.

About the out of stock comments, yep, what happens with the BOGOs is that Midwest gets a big load in and when it is gone, it is gone. I can't recall them ever putting a limit on how many you can buy. I try to post them here as soon as I get notification, but you've gotta jump on it the first or second day or yer out. Some are so popular that the website freezes up. In that case, don't wait. Call the 800 number and get yours, or you probably won't.

Those who have bought and opted in for notices will now get word of the coming ones. I think they do this 2-3 times a year.

I can't wait for the day something good comes up and I actually have the coin to get 4 or 6 of them, instead of just the 2. Hmmm ... that may take a lottery win. :D

I had purchased a BOGO from Midwest through the website and arranged to pick it up this weekend. When I called today they said they hadn't set the two kits aside for me and they were all out.

He said when a purchase is made they don't set those aside. When someone comes in for pick up they just get them off the shelf. I glad I called. Now, I'll have to call next week to see if they have them in.

I hope this works out.

I am now drinking this wine I made the last time they offered that. It was good about a month ago but I noticed a significant change yesterday. It is really good now. I am going to make myself age this next batch 6 months.

I am now drinking this wine I made the last time they offered that. It was good about a month ago but I noticed a significant change yesterday. It is really good now. I am going to make myself age this next batch 6 months.

I'm curious, did you follow the Kit instructions exactly or make any changes. Mine are on order and since I will have two I was thinking of experimenting.:D

Latest posts

Back