Coastal White Variations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
This past spring, when the BOGO sale on the Wine Expert Vintners Reserve Coastal White (White Burgundy Style) Wine Kit was posted, I bought four.

The first one went to my soon-to-be award winning Strawberry Coastal White (dubbed "Fat Flamingo"). Four weeks to shipping time folks! Get those wines cleared and in the bottles!

The second one became a nice mango blanc. I made the kit, then steeped some dried mangos in it for about a month, and back sweetened with some sugar. It turned into a nice semi-sweet white wine with a hint of mango, and took on the beautiful amber color of pure honey!

I still have two kits left, and they need to be made. One is slated for a straight kit with some oak, to become my "Lazy Dave's" California Coastal White.

Here's what I'm thinking for the last one. I want a nice cinnamon-apple wine for Fall. So, I make the kit, back-sweeten with some apple juice concentrate and soak some cinnamon sticks in the carboy. I'm just not sure how much cinnamon and for how long in the carboy.

Has anyone tried this for a six gallon batch? Any advice would be appreciated.

That sounds tasty! I haven't used cinnamon sticks for wine, but when I make mulled apple cider, I use about 6 to 8 sticks for a gallon of cider. Granted, that's heating the cider, so I have no idea how much of that flavor would impart into the beverage at room temp.

I've seen where some folks have used an cinnamon stick in the carboy, post-fermentation, while others have used cinnamon powder in the primary. I'm leaning towards the post-ferm option, as that seems better to control the outcome. I can taste it as the cinnamon blends, while the powder would be an all or nothing venture.

Yeah, adding the stick in whole (vs. the powder) does sound like better control and therefore a better method. I wonder how long it would take to impart the right amount of flavor. With the mulled cider, perhaps more is used in order to attain the flavor rapidly. =) Taking its time, though, might produce a more balanced taste.

mmm .. i have one of the white kits left too ... after all the troubles so many of you had with strawberry glad i didnt try that ... but cinnamon apple would be fabulous. please do keep us updated!

I've seen where some folks have used an cinnamon stick in the carboy, post-fermentation, while others have used cinnamon powder in the primary. I'm leaning towards the post-ferm option, as that seems better to control the outcome. I can taste it as the cinnamon blends, while the powder would be an all or nothing venture.

Dave, When I make Apple Wine I add 3 - 4 cinnamon sticks while it is ageing. This is for a 3 gal. recipe so you would want to add or subtract if you are making more or less wine. Sample the wine when you rack it and if the taste is not strong enough add some more cinnamon and age an additional 2 - 3 months. This works for me but tastes differ. I like for the cinnamon to add a little flavor to the apples but not dominate it. Hope this helps a little.

Larry:br

I've been cooking a lot longer than winemaking so I can only offer advice from the cooks perspective. I think it will greatly depend on the type and freshness of the cinnamon. I have been using Saigon cinnamon in my cooking since I discovered it last year. It is stronger and has a more complex flavor. Almost a little smoky. If you can find it in sticks, thats what I would use. But probably not more than 3 sticks per 5 gal. to start.

Great info, all. Thank you very much! I started the two kits yesterday. One per instructions---to become the apple-cinnamon, and the other with a dose of elder flowers. I really like the flavor and aroma the the elder flowers lend to a good white wine.

Latest posts

Back