Back sweetening DB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Reaction score
OK So as not to hijack an earlier thread, to what SG do you back sweeten your dragons blood? My first 2 batches of db were taken to a 1.04 =/-.01 after fermenting dry. Very popular.
My brother, who I've corrupted, likes his a bit drier.
My hypothesis is a little drier tends to make it more appealing to those red wine snob types. Agree or disagree?

Backsweeten it to 1.010 and leave it sit for a few days and try that. To be honest 1.040 would be on the syrupy side.

Tess adding 4 cups of sugar is not going to give you a consistent sweetening level. You really need to sweeten to a hydrometer level.

To be honest 4 cups works for me because it dont last that long

Did I miss the volume here, are we talking about 5 gallons. I have found that if a wine goes dry then about 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon works for me.

Im usually at 6 gals fig but its all up to what the individual likes if you like 6 cups add it!!

As long as you let it go dry you add what is your taste. this will never stay in my wine rack a year!! Im already out and working on a new batch

I know Im gonna get hammered for this. Maybe even banned but it is what it is. Most wines I agree with sticking with the wine rules but this is a DB. Its simple, not pretentious. Follow the recipe and add 4-5 cups to back sweeten to taste. Im telling you it works!! I hate that Im afraid to speak my mind with out having the wine world fall on me but it is what it is!!

I add a bit at a time and go by taste, when I get to the point I think it could use just a little more I stop without adding that little bit more, usually winds up perfect...1.015-1.020 for me. When I've added that little bit more it usually winds up too sweet later.

I know Im gonna get hammered for this. Maybe even banned but it is what it is. Most wines I agree with sticking with the wine rules but this is a DB. Its simple, not pretentious. Follow the recipe and add 4-5 cups to back sweeten to taste. Im telling you it works!! I hate that Im afraid to speak my mind with out having the wine world fall on me but it is what it is!!

That's why I don't drink wine while on Wine Making Talk. :)

yeah ......................ok thats all I live for!!

But prudent. :)

Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with what you posted, there's many ways to reach the finish line.

You r right!! that's exactly right!!. There is!! Especially with DB

I am in the " no hydrometer " club.
I usually follow the following formula for sweetening: 1 cup of sugar per gallon minus a half cup!

I had a 5 gallon batch I used 3.5 cups of sugar and it was still dry. The flavor really came through but it was not sweet enough.

Another 5 gallon batch I used 4.5 and the flavor came thru with a really nice blend of sweetness.

I follow the same thing for pee ( just tonight).
Seems to work for for me
So 5 gallon would be 4.5 cups.

Just eye ball it and drink up!

I understand it is DB and it is not going to last, but I also believe in consistency. I do not care what wine I am making. If I like a certain sweet level I want to know what sg that is not depend on my tastebuds.

Tess, I do not recall anyone hammering you or being banned because you posted an opinion.

I totally disagree with all of you. LOL
I use not hydrometer to use as a gauge for sweetening, are a pre defined amount.
I use my tongue and taste buds...i add simple syrup 1 cup at a time until it taste good. (to me)....

I also use my wife. :w
I randomly hand her glasses of liquid and ask her if it is too sweet.
She has a sweet tooth and if it is too sweet for her, I am have a flushable wine!

I only sweeten SP, DB and fruit wines. All other reds I may stay dry. If anything I may add 1 cup for 6 gallons to take the cotton ball effect out of the dryness of a wine.

However when sweetening DP and SP. I am Unscientific and a cretin!
I just dump, stir, guzzle, repeat!

:r

Latest posts

Back