Auto Siphon...3/8" or 1/2"???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosa321

Reaction score
Sorry if this was already covered....I tried searching and reading the forum and couldn't find it.

Anyway........I'm up late, browsing wine making equipment and "toys" and I am considering purchasing an Auto Siphon. It's inexpensive and I am not very good at getting the siphon started by filling it with water. AND I always make a mess :D

Other than a few dollars, I am curious what the difference is between 3/8" siphon and 1/2" siphon.....The time it takes to rack? Is there any difference in how well they work? Is this a worthwhile purchase?

As always, I am just curious. :i
Thanks!!!
Rosa

If you are racking the 1/2 inch would be faster. But if you are using a curved racking tube or a bottle filler... the 1/2'' auto siphon takes a 1/2'' hose and would be useless... because they are compatable with the 3/8 inch auto siphon and the 5/16'' hose it takes.

Rosa...I own and use both.

I use the large one for racking. The small one is used when bottling because as fedup pointed out that's what the normal bottle filler fits. However, I must point out that there is a large bottle filling wand available that fits the large hose and is great for filling 2 litre pop bottles (some beer makers do this), and gallon jugs.

Please note that the proper hose sizes are 5/16" id x 7/16" od and 7/16" id x 9/16" od (id means inside diameter and od means outside diameter).

Steve

Rosa...I own and use both.

I use the large one for racking. The small one is used when bottling because as fedup pointed out that's what the normal bottle filler fits. However, I must point out that there is a large bottle filling wand available that fits the large hose and is great for filling 2 litre pop bottles (some beer makers do this), and gallon jugs.

Please note that the proper hose sizes are 5/16" id x 7/16" od and 7/16" id x 9/16" od (id means inside diameter and od means outside diameter).

Steve

ok..........Trying to decipher posts! :)
So the 3/8" Auto Siphon takes 5/16" tubing? (But the 1/2" auto siphon takes 1/2" tubing?)

My LHBS only carries 3/8" and 1/2" auto siphons.....so if the 3/8" is more practical and has more uses, I will go with that one. Just not sure what kind of tubing would work with it.......as I don't think I'm seeing 3/8" tubing. lol
So much to learn! :) :b

I agree with Cpfan, get both, I use the big one most times, the difference in the time it takes to rack is worth getting the bigger auto siphon.

I agree with Cpfan, get both, I use the big one most times, the difference in the time it takes to rack is worth getting the bigger auto siphon.

ok.........I see they have different purposes now..........

Do you still use the racking cane with the auto siphon? Yes, right?
I'd have to get another one of those, too......

I love new toys! :mny

Auto siphons

ALL THREE SIZES SHOULD BE IN YOUR TOOL BOX IN TIME THE NEED WILL ARISE FOR TRANSITION AND YOU'LL HAVE IT AT THE READY....................................:wy

BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN ?

19 siphon with wedges.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

Winexpert Pinot Noir Contents.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

20140109_183841.jpg

Last edited:
ok..........Trying to decipher posts! :)
So the 3/8" Auto Siphon takes 5/16" tubing? (But the 1/2" auto siphon takes 1/2" tubing?)

My LHBS only carries 3/8" and 1/2" auto siphons.....so if the 3/8" is more practical and has more uses, I will go with that one. Just not sure what kind of tubing would work with it.......as I don't think I'm seeing 3/8" tubing. lol
So much to learn! :) :b
Rosa:

If this is the Fermtech Auto Siphon, the packaging will say 7/16" tubing. I haven't seen a package in a couple of years, so it may have changed. Tubing with 1/2" inside diameter will not fit, it will be loose, and it won't work.

If you only wish to buy one, get the 3/8" (Regular) size one. As I already said, it takes 5/16" x 7/16" tubing. They call it 3/8" because 3/8 is the same as 6/16 which is halfway been 5/16 and 7/16. Similarly 1/2 is the same as 8/16, halfway between 7/16 and 9/16.

BTW, before I quoted tubing sizes above, I actually looked at the tubing attached to my auto siphons.

PS: joeswine: great pictures. One comment. I put a piece of 2x4 under the edge of that pail prior to inserting and starting the auto siphon.

Steve

Last edited:
Do you still use the racking cane with the auto siphon? Yes, right?
I'd have to get another one of those, too......
A racking cane comes with the auto siphon. It is different from the standard one because it has a different bottom end. Once you get comfortable with the auto-siphon, you will never use a regular racking cane again.

Steve

I have the large size racking cane but i bought an adapter at the hardware store so I could use my small bottling wand. The larger wand 1/2" leaves a lot of headspace in the bottles

I have the large size racking cane but i bought an adapter at the hardware store so I could use my small bottling wand. The larger wand 1/2" leaves a lot of headspace in the bottles
Very true. The large bottling wand is great for 2 litre pop bottles and gallon jugs but very poor for 750ml bottles. That's why I use a regular auto-siphon and bottling wand for bottling.

calvin can you provide a picture of the adapter?

Steve

siphoning

there are two wedges designed for that purpose under the bucket and yes I', very causes about balance, in the beginning it was a real learning curve...............:slp

Well..... I got both! I'm looking forward to learning how to use them! Gotta be easier than the traditional way.

Thank you for the pictures calvin. I never thought of that type of adapter.

Steve

Your welcome. I had to cut like a 3" piece of my 3/8" hose to make it work

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'm sure when my equipment comes in, I will be grateful to have the pictures, too! Right now, I can't even envision anything! hahaha

My LHBS only carries the 3/8 and 1/2 inch sizes.......I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on the 5/16 size.

Latest posts

Back