Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborah

Junior
Reaction score
I've always made my wine from the kits and I ordered two from your site yesterday. If I go strictly by the kit instructions and bottle age without any additional preservatives when is the wine normally drinkable and how long will it last. I have been under the impression that you drink 6-12 months after bottling is that correct?

Also please tell me a little more about bulk aging as I've never tried that. How long do you normally leave in the carboy before bottling if you use that method and is protecting it from lightbeneficial in that process? I would think the bulk aging would be better for reds?

I bulk age, away from light(5 or 6 gallon) in glass,all of my wine for at least one year. The heavier the body the longer the shelf life, also if the alcohal is 12-14% the winewill age longer. I just had a bottal of 1991 Vidol,Michigan white wine, it was past its prime but was still good wine.

Not that I know much, but I'm letting mine bulk age 6 months before bottling. I'm also oaking the reds during that period. I'd let them go longer, but I need the carboys.

I am bulk aging three kits now, that Cabsauv( that I almost discarded during the learning phase) a Merlot and a Sauv Blanc.They are in the wine cellar at 57 degrees. {got that ChillR 600 installed
smiley4.gif
)Do I need to rack during the aging process,if so,how often?

George, I am looking forward to the Crushendo! Thank You again!

Judy

I myself have just started bulk aging my reds at the end of last year to try and improve the final product. In the bottle I have found most reds need at least 8 months to really get good. My problem with bulk aging is the same as others...lack of available carboys!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Here are some older posts that cover bulk aging and oak:<O:p></O:p>

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1 1&amp;KW=bulk+aging

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3 4&amp;PN=1

More Info:

http://winemakermag.com/departments/468.htmlEdited by: masta

Tim Vandergrift, the Technical Services Manager for Winexpert states there is not much difference between bulk and bottle aging, except one very important point. Bottled wine is much easier consumed that wine still in the carboy!

Masta is correct in that the 15 liter red kits really need about 6 months to open up. The whites from 3-6. This is not to say you can not enjoy them before. It is just that it is worth the wait!

I have gathered some 5-gallon carboys recently so I guess a test is in order for bulk aging vs. bottle aging of some of the reds I am making now. I plan to bulk age 5 gallons and bottle the remanding gallon then taste test side by side.
smileycheers.gif
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

If it is true that there is no true difference in the end result of the wine then I seetwo advantages to keeping the wine in a carboy longer: <O:p></O:p>

Addingmore oak to your red wines before bottling and like George passed along...not as easy to graba bottle and open it before it is ready!
smiley36.gif
<O:p></O:p>

Edited by: masta

Masta,

I used to bulk age my kit wines about 6 months before bottling. After reading comments by Tim Vandergrift on bulk aging, I have shortened my bulk aging period to 2-3 months. I find that this brief period provides two advantages in addition to those you have noted in your post. First, any additional matter in suspension has more time to settle out resulting in a clearer wine at bottling. Second, the wine has time to naturally release additional CO2 in case my vigorous stirring was not vigorous enough.

Joseph

I agree with Joseph on the bulk aging. Not getting the CO2 out of your wine seems to be one of the bigger problems. By bulk aging, you allow more of the CO2 to escape and, as a result, not bottle it with your wine.

Good point George and Joseph on the C02. I know I have had some issues with that when I first starting making wine. It certainly gives a funky taste to the wine....but will fade away after it can breathe a bit.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I have a Vacu-vin I use on opened bottles I am not going to finish right away and could be used to test the amount of CO2 in the wine. When you pull vacuum on a bottle of wine any gas will come right out of solution.<O:p></O:p>

Sounds like a plan for all the new red wine kits starting this year. Bulk age a few months with some oak, test'em and bottle them up.<O:p></O:p>

Maybe the new cellar will look a bit fuller come next winter!<O:p></O:p>

Edited by: masta

My first wine kit was a Selection Pinot Noir that I bottled 8 weeks after starting. Apparently I did not stir vigorously enough and bottled CO2 with my wine. The result was a very funky, musty,yeasty taste and aroma. Although it faded after letting the wine breathe an hour, I still knew it was there.

Since this experience, CO2 has become my number two concern after sanitation. As part of my degassing routine, I use the Vacuvin on the carboy. After stabilizing and adding the finings but before topping up, I use the Vacuvin. I pull a vacuum and leave it about 15 minutes then pull a vacuum again. I do this foran hour and then top up and replace the air lock. It seems to pull a lot of CO2 out of suspension.Edited by: Joseph

What do you use for a stopper to allow you to pull vacuum on the carboy?

I used the Universal Carboy Cap. The Vacuvin stopper fits over theshorter of the two stems. George has them as item 2610.

Thanks Joseph...I will have to try this. Degassing and getting all the C02 out of your wine is certainly critical to a good final product!

A vacuum is not necessary if you are using proper degassing procedures. It is a waste of time, unless you just find it fun. You should be stirringwith a drill mounted degasser.Also, if you filter just once with a minijet, you will likely have no more CO2 saturation. A proper racking schedule will also eliminate your CO2 problems.

I have to agree with CW on this one. Maybe the vacuvin thing works on 1-gallon jugs okay, but not with anything more. It's a total waste of time for me, at least.

I bought a thing called a "wine whip" and it broke (snapped right in the middle of degassing and fell into the carboy). It seems like the fizz-ex is the way to go.

I promise if you try and rush any wine, the CO2 monster will reach out and knock you sideways right when you least expect it.

Yes, I remember only too well.There is still evidence of my wine-turned-into-volcano in the basement.

Constantly.

This is how it usually goes around my wines:

"Should I bottle yet?"

Look up at the ceiling, pondering this question. I see the spot where it all flew up.

"No, wait a little bit"

Look at the wine.

"But it hasn't done anything in months"

Look at the spot.

"Neither did that one."

Leave the basement.

Latest posts

Back