What to grow where?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alwayswhining

I am in Seattle WA, and was wondering what will grow well here. and when. we are avid gardeners, we have a small indoor greenhouse, and also a 500 gallon aquaponics garden. i read something about zones?

I find that the stark brothers catalog (as with most all seed catalogs) will ID the zone you are in and also tell you what will/will not grow there.

thanks! according to their page im 7B and only somerset grapes will grow here

I think the problem is the amount of sunlight is low. That will affect your growth and ripening.

You should be able to grow vinifera varieties but I would look for early ripening varieties.

Pinot noir might be ok. Lemberger (Blaufrankish) is another grape which might do ok. I think there may be some planted near Seattle. I know there are some wineries on Bainbridge Island and Whidbey Island. You could see what they are growing.

Perennial Vintners on Bainbridge are growing cold climate varieties. I see from their web page these are being offered:

Müller Thurgau, Madeleine Angevine, Lemberger, Viognier, Muscat, and Syrah. I don't know if the syrah comes from Eastern WA or not.

Edit: Here is their vineyard page with more varieties: http://www.perennialvintners.com/vineyard/

Check out the book "the grape grower". I believe that the author is up there and it has detailed descriptions of certain grapes. It's an excellent book also.

Latest posts

Back