grape group buy in S' nah GA area?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
Morning everyone, looking to see how much interest there might be in a group buy of Washington state grapes for fall 2014.
This year I had to drive 5hrs one way to get grapes.

Anyone interested?
Paul

Bump. Is there no one here from around charleston, SC to Jacksonville, FL?

Both are about 2hrs from Savannah, GA.

Washington state grapes is the goal...

Paul

What time frame are you looking at for delivery. My problem is that I also live in Alabama and don't have a schedule for when I can be in Florida. If I knew about when we would take delivery, I may be able to do it.

It will be fall 2014, probably late Sept or October. That is a ways out I know but there is no way I can do it on my own so currently just wanting to get a sense of whether I should invest any time in the project.

Paul

It is something we can consider. I will try to find more wine makers here in NE Florida

It is worth considering. I will try to find some more wine makers here in NE Florida.

I'm in the Atlanta area. How many grapes would I have to buy to get in? I'm trying to find a local place in GA I can buy from for next year but I'm not sure where I can buy from.

If you want Atlanta based purchase try Barley and Vine in Stockbridge. 770 507 5998. This year it was CV fruit.
I am trying to figure out a way to get WA state fruit, hopefully in Savannah. I have little info yet other than minimum order will be 500lbs, no info yet on shipping.

Paul

The purchase is not from barley and vine, they simply coordinate the buy. I paid a Dr that apparently has some kind of wine school there in the Atlanta area. I paid for the actual fruit via paypal, payment to Dr. I then paid for shipping, to Dr, once I got to the warehouse, as there is no way to know accurately what shipping will cost until the order is completed. Taking part would be a good way to meet Atlanta area home winos.

Paul

Paul, I just realized you are talking about grapes, not juice pails. I would not be able to participate in that. I don't have a crusher.

What do you think the final price be for say 5 gallons of juice would be. or any amount of juice for that matter.I suppose if you did that you would want considerably more than 5 gallons of juice.

Hey Olusteebus, you don't need a crusher to do fresh red wine grapes. It helps but isn't really needed unless you are doing a butt load of grapes. Stripping grape clusters by hand generally crushes the grapes, and a little stomping with your clean feet or a hunk of clean oak and you are ready to adjust the must and pitch yeast. As far as juice goes I buy from either midwest or M&M and generally get a 5 gal pail for about $70, plus $25-$35 for shipping, each pail. Fresh grapes are a better deal in my mind as it makes better wine than juice buckets. Most folks won't process frozen must or juice unless it is from higher quality grapes to make it worth the effort. So more money for must but that should result in a higher quality wine.

FWIW, Paul

I have not found anyone near me other than fruit wine makers. I could get use of a grape press that would juice it nicely. I was thinking about destemming but I guess that is not a real problem.

order one bucket of frozen must and try that, you can jerry-rig some kind of home press or just use your hands. The bucket inside a bucket press would be fine for a first try. If you are encouraged by the wine you make, then consider buying a proper press. As far as fruit goes, getting fresh grapes is a challenge for sure. Try local fruit, muscadines in your area I would guess. Or do the frozen must and juice buckets.

Paul

Latest posts

Back