Degassing Kit Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malisk

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to add the chitosan, stabilizer and one other chemical (kielosol?) to my kit wine. It had been about 21 days or so since I first started and the gravity was about .95 or so, I forget exactly. I stirred it for about 10 mins off and on to degas as required per instructions but something came up and I had to rush things. There were still little bubbles forming when I added the last items and racked again. Since I didn't want to top off and introduce a different wine or add water I instead added it to a 5 gallon carboy.

My question is, at this point, is it even possible to degas more or will the inclusion of oxygen resulting from that ruin my wine? What should I do?

Vino Italiano 4 week valpolicella

Last edited:
The first thing I'd do is test to see if your wine is degassed. There's a poof test: shake some wine in a vile (like a test tube or hydrometer holder) to see if you get 1/2 inch of bubbles or a substantial "poof" when you release it. You can also taste the wine to see if you sense gas.

Beyond that, my other suggestion is to let the wine age in the carboy under airlock and it will degas naturally. There's no need in my mind to fool with the wine any further.

Latest posts

Back