Clearing Agent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcqueen

Junior
Reaction score
Today my muscadine wine reached S.G. = 1.020 in the primary. I transferred the wine into a glass carboy with an “S” water trap for secondary fermentation. At this point I’ve done nothing more. It has been 30 years since I’ve done any wine making so I still have questions.

At what point do I add “Sparkalloid” to clear the wine. As I understand it this is a clearing agent. Do I add at the start or ending of the secondary fermentation or just let it set for a month or so and see what happens?

You need to let the wine go dry 1st.
Then add your stabilizers (meta / sorbate)
Now after that you need to degas
If you plan on adding a f-pac or backsweetening this is the time to add..
Then add the clearing agent...

Today my muscadine wine reached S.G. = 1.020 in the primary. I transferred the wine into a glass carboy with an “S” water trap for secondary fermentation. At this point I’ve done nothing more. It has been 30 years since I’ve done any wine making so I still have questions.

At what point do I add “Sparkalloid” to clear the wine. As I understand it this is a clearing agent. Do I add at the start or ending of the secondary fermentation or just let it set for a month or so and see what happens?

Let your wine finish fermenting. Once fermentation has stopped, add 1/4 teaspoon sulfite and rack into a clean carboy and fill to shoulders. Add clearing agent, I use sparkelloid. Stir very well to thoroughly mix. Fill almost to top with wine and add another ounce of clearing agent, stir top area. Place under airlock for 4 -6 weeks.

Yes Degass also after fermentation is finished.

Thanks for both of your quick replies. I will save that information and use at the proper time. Again Thanks.

Back