Beer/Wine sanitizer question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojabri

Frequent Lurker
Reaction score
I use a Campden Tabs/Citric Acid mix as sanitizer on my wine equipment.

The hubby has recently started his first batch of extract beer. We purchased him a small bottle of IO Star, then realized, it has to be made fresh each time. Uuuugh. Not only does this mean making a new solution during each step of his brew, BUT it's rather expensive in comparison to the Kmeta/citric mix AND it stains!!! Double uuugh!

Can he use my sanitizer, or should we change him over to a sanitizer that will be able to be stored, such as Star-San?

I'm aiming this query at Julie and CMason because I know they both brew, but I'd be glad to hear any feedback from anyone who would have an answer. I asked at the Home Brew Talk forum, but they were generally unhelpful as very few were familiar with the Kmeta/citric, as a sanitizer.

Not really a quote, just trying to get your attention
Not really a quote, just trying to get your attention

^ Sorry Guys, I didn't know how to "tag" you ^

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Last edited:
Star San will keep in a squirt bottle or empty water bottle just fine. And I believe for a longer period of time.

And I didn't read what you asked very well. No he can't use a k-meta based sterilizer. The yeast used to make wine is much weaker than the yeast used to make beer and k-meta will almost shut it down.

Last edited:
Star San will keep in a squirt bottle or empty water bottle just fine. And I believe for a longer period of time.

And I didn't read what you asked very well. No he can't use a k-meta based sterilizer. The yeast used to make wine is much weaker than the yeast used to make beer and k-meta will almost shut it down.

I'm afraid I don't read you very well either. What do you mean by weaker? I was under the impression that wine yeast, formulated for higher ABVs, would be stronger.

I have used K-meta for both wine and beer for over 25 years for sanitizing with no issues.

cheers

I'm afraid I don't read you very well either. What do you mean by weaker? I was under the impression that wine yeast, formulated for higher ABVs, would be stronger.

I never should have tried to type this on my phone while watching the hockey game last night and there was alcohol involved. Wine Yeast is stronger than beer yeast. You want to use star San on anything that touches your beer wort.

I apologize is this is bad form to post in your thread but I have a somewhat related question. I started as a beer brewer first so of course was well indoctrinated on using Starsan for everything. I am just starting to get into wine making and Starsan is pretty much never mentioned. Is there a good reason not to use Starsan when sanitizing equipment for wine?

I apologize is this is bad form to post in your thread but I have a somewhat related question. I started as a beer brewer first so of course was well indoctrinated on using Starsan for everything. I am just starting to get into wine making and Starsan is pretty much never mentioned. Is there a good reason not to use Starsan when sanitizing equipment for wine?

That's all I use and have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I think most people use kmeta as that is cheaper and more traditional. I use star San. They're just different. Kmeta works by off gassing and is good for containers while star San works on surfaces and so might be more suited for tools. They both work well for everything winemaking though, as I understand it.

Back