WINTER WONDERLAND

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to take a picture of the vineyard in the snow, but can't get over to it yet so here are a couple near the house. The one where I plowed the snowbanks are about 6 feet high pushed up(don't have a loader or they would be higher). The picnic table will need to be shoveled out and off for the barbeque tonight
smiley36.gif
The wind is picking up more. I looked out the windows hearing a howling noise and everything dissapeared. The fuel tank ran out of fuel last night for the house and when I went to getsome this AMthe store was getting a delivery as I pulled up.They couldn't get it because the lock on the tank was frozen. Had to go elsewhere. Trying to get the fuel supplier now, but the phone has been busy all morning.

20071217_073748_100_3482_Medium.JPG

20071217_074000_100_3481_Medium.JPG

Thats a whole lot of snow...If you get any more snow you'll need a tractor loader or a snow blower.

Are you out of fuel in your house furnace??? Damn!!!! Hope you have the oven on.

Storm is over....Know you have a busy day ahead.

I hope I am wrong about this coming weekend, I still have to try to get a couple gifts. I am predicting a good possibility of a follow up storm to last weekend- maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more than this last time. The tricky thing is how long the High pressure will keep the air cold. It is generally warming a slight bit this week toward the weekend. The low pressure systems are in place, the jet stream is still right over us, cold air in the center of the country to push the storms northeast, High pressure to our northeast and over two feet of snow on the ground to keep cold air at ground level. The forecasts call for mixed precip on Sunday. Time will tell more.... stay tuned.....beeeeeppppp.....

We had a tiny cell sit over Lake Champlain yesterday giving us small lake effect snows. Got a couple inches out of that. Today through tonight-3-5 inches. We would need a freak HOT spell over the next weekend to melt all the snow...otherwise we are pretty sure to get a white Christmas here.

If anybody is intersted just send me a SASE(self addressed stamed envelope)and I will fill it with snow for you and drop it back in the mailbox.
smiley36.gif

Well winter was here about 3 days ago. It was 42 F.and today It's 72 F.
I have been working in my shop in a short sleave T shirt.
smiley1.gif

Harry,
Beautiful Schlumbergera. I have several and they are blooming right on time....amazing, isn't it?

Ramona

Harry said:
smiley1.gif

Gee, Harry!

Funny how things are different depending on how you look at it!

I can say the same: winter was here about 3 days ago -- it was about 21* -- today it's 42* !!!
smiley36.gif

OilnH2O said:
Harry said:
smiley1.gif

Gee, Harry!

Funny how things are different depending on how you look at it!

I can say the same: winter was here about 3 days ago -- it was about 21* -- today it's 42* !!!
smiley36.gif

Yup, it's all relative. I can say the same: winter was here about 3 days ago -- it was about 4* -- today it's still here and 20* !!!
smiley36.gif
It may make it to 32 by the weekend! I've been working with longsleeved flannel shirts. I go for the Al Borland look!

Edited by: appleman

The weather is so cold and snowy outside rightnow, maybe I will go out in the greenhouse to cheer up!
20071220_055831_100_3487_Medium.JPG

Well maybe that won't cheer me up!
smiley5.gif
Those are 48" high sidewalls.

This is December20th right. I had to quit deer hunting today because I could see about 100 yards if I was luck. We are socked in again tonight. We can't get rid of the fog. They said on the weather that this is the wettest December on record and the month is just half over. They are talking like we may get more rain/ice/snow mix over the weekend. I don't know if we will ever get this ice gone. It is off of the trees now but it is still on the ground.

Rich, that is a serious pile of snow and my dog would love that. We very rarely get anything like that. maybe twice in my life.

Swill one thing you should watch out for. When we had the heavy icestorm in 98, the snow built up on a layer of snow below. I had over 500 small apple trees in a nursery I had grafted on rootstock to be planted the following spring. The layer of ice gave the mice a great travel root just above the graft line. They girdled every single tree and they all died the following spring from it. Also had hundreds of mature trees get girdled because of the superhighway above the tree guards around their trunks. What I am getting at is for you to be on the lookout for mice activity aroung you vines. You might want to buy a few boxes of moth balls and spread around your vines to try to drive the mice away. Good luck.

Went on a little road trip today to have lunch with some friends....

Our 'mighty Mississippi River was frozen over up at the headwaters...

missriverSmall.jpg

That looks like the headwaters of the AuSable and Saranac rivers. Today I noticed where the Saranac goes through town that there are Ice Jams about 8 feet high from all the cold weather and snow lately. By the way, where is all the snow?

The snow has really settled here...first it got blown around and into drifts...Now we have been having fog and drizzle.

I am missing out on so many things with the camera I have....

This is the closest I can get to my bird feeder with my little FUJI...
smiley19.gif

missingSmall.jpg

And with the Capture-View Binocular Camera...the feeders are too close and out of focus...[Things have to be further than 66']

focusSmall.jpg

Then things further away have to be larger than a bird...

birdsSmall.jpg
jaySmall.jpg

So...I ordered myself a better camera for Christmas....A Sony DSC-H/7.....It just got shipped yesterday, so won't have it for a long time....
smiley19.gif
Good things are worth waiting for...
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

THATS way to much snow for this guy,when I get my share I'll send it to you NW,OK
smiley36.gif

Northern Winos said:
Went on a little road trip today to have lunch with some friends....

Our 'mighty Mississippi River was frozen over up at the headwaters...
Was that picture taken from Hwy 2?

Latest posts

Back