Wine won't degass - cross-posted

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
Also posted this in a thread in the MM forum regarding my Renaissance Rosso D'Avola. I'm at day 20 with this kit - had a ton of sediment when I racked today (lost about two bottles of wine). Temp is at 80F and SG was 0.993, so I felt that fermentation was done.

I beat the wine mercilessly for 10 minutes and couldn't get the wine to bubble at all, except the few bubbles that resulted from my extreme stirring. Could the wine have "degassed itself" by just sitting in the carboy? I'm used to a lot of bubbles and having to degass for a long period, but the fact that the wine had fermented all the way down to a SG of 0.993 let me to believe that fermentation was done (and all of the CO2 had been released) and the fact that there was so much sediment (and that CO2 bubbles hadn't held sediment in the wine) seemed to reinforce this - the only answer I can think of is that the wine naturally degassed itself and mother nature didn't need my help. Thoughts?

I agree with Bob. What was the temp of the must? It's possible that it was just to cold to let go of the gas. But the fact that you had so much sediment makes me think the wine did the work for you.

Alex, I agree that the wine has probably de-gassed. How is the clarity of the wine? While you were racking or after you racked, how did the wine look, i.e clear, hazy, etc? I would put it under airlock and watch it for a week or so. I think any residual sediment will drop out and the wine will clear completely. Watch the bottom of the carboy for signs of sediment. Make sure you are topped off. Personally, I do not add anything to the wine. I down size my container(s).

Alex, I just read over the instructions for the Rosso D'Avola and since you say you are on day 20, I am assuming that you racked off the gross lees on or about day 14. Did you add the Potassium Metabisulfite, Siligel and Liquigel after you racked off the gross lees or were you planning to bulk age and just added the Potassium Metabisulfite? I see that the instructions take you in different directions if you plan to bulk age.

Thanks everyone.

@Rocky - wine was still a bit hazy. I racked off the gross lees on day 7. I added liquigel and siligel on day 20 after the attempt at degassing. I'm trying Tim Vandergrift's 5-20 method, but wanted to ferment to dry in the primary.

A few days later and there's even more sediment at the bottom of the carboy. I think it's degassed.

Latest posts

Back