Wine too Zesty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie2

Reaction score
My clemantine wine is just too zesty, any ideas as to what to blend it with or what to add to calm it down a bit? Thanks

How old is it? I've read many times that what seems too zesty when young mellows to perfection given a bit of extra time.

Pam in cinti

oh it's very new just ready to bottle soon, thought maybe I should blend before bottling but you think I should just bottle and let it age?

I made an orange wine about two years ago and it was very bitter. I added chocolate and backsweetened it. It is still not a favorite but it seemed to move up a notch in drinkability. Have you measured the pH? or the citric acid in the wine? You may need to add K-carbonate to neutralize some of the acidity.

I made an orange wine about two years ago and it was very bitter. I added chocolate and backsweetened it. It is still not a favorite but it seemed to move up a notch in drinkability. Have you measured the pH? or the citric acid in the wine? You may need to add K-carbonate to neutralize some of the acidity.

The pH is 3.7.

I've taken a few little testers to add try mixing and I did try some cocoa powder to see if the flavour would be nice, wasn't impressed with it! Seemed to be ok with some strawberry in it but not sure I want to sacrifice my strawberry wine. Maybe it was the sweetness in the strawberry that improved it although generally I don't back sweeten as we like dry wine.

The pH is 3.7.

I've taken a few little testers to add try mixing and I did try some cocoa powder to see if the flavour would be nice, wasn't impressed with it! Seemed to be ok with some strawberry in it but not sure I want to sacrifice my strawberry wine. Maybe it was the sweetness in the strawberry that improved it although generally I don't back sweeten as we like dry wine.

You are going to have to sweeten that one. I made wine from Calamondins which should be similar. Undrinkable dry, quite nice slightly sweetened.

Your best bet is to let it bulk age--give it at least 6 months and give it a taste then. If you think it's improving, but not quite there yet, then let it bulk age some more. You'd be surprised how enough time in bulk aging can eliminate offending esters, bitterness,etc. It also brings the flavor more forward. So just be patient with it--you really can't evaluate a young, green wine very well.

Your best bet is to let it bulk age--give it at least 6 months and give it a taste then. If you think it's improving, but not quite there yet, then let it bulk age some more. You'd be surprised how enough time in bulk aging can eliminate offending esters, bitterness,etc. It also brings the flavor more forward. So just be patient with it--you really can't evaluate a young, green wine very well.

Or in this case Orange.....I was going to say the same thing. It needs to age out then be back sweetened to taste.

Latest posts

Back