Wine Ready to Bottle - Can I Leave in Carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themottspot

Junior
Reaction score
Making a red blend from a kit. First time making wine.

According to the wine kit's instructions it was ready to bottle 2 days ago, but my friend and I have been too busy to bottle so far. How long can we leave it in the carboy before bottling? Will it harm it?

It's been at a steady temp of 73-75 degrees and out of the sunlight.

We're planning on bottling this coming Sunday, but if there's any danger in leaving it in the carboy we'll get on it sooner.

Thanks

TMS, no problem at all in waiting. I am assuming that you have added k-meta (and possibly k-sorbate plus some clarifiers, although these are not strictly necessary). Just keep it under airlock and it is good to keep light away from it if possible. Your temp is a bit on the high side, but not an issue.

The best thing you can do to a wine kit is to add more time to each step of the process. There are some limitations, but you are far from them. You can leave the on the lees for a month or two. Once the wine has fermented and treated with sulfite, you can leave it sit for months. Wine is one of the few things that benefits from being delayed. So, relax and enjoy the wine making.

Latest posts

Back