Wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz14

Junior
Reaction score
Is it possible to just use 1 fermenting bucket and not do the racking system as this will be my 1st and last wine making experience

You still have to have some container to get your wine out of the fermenting bucket into another container so that all of the lees ( all the gook on the bottom ) will not be in your wine. If I were you and this was my intent not to do it properly, I would forget the whole idea and go out and buy me a bottle of wine. What you are probably going to end up with is a mess and you will not have a product that will be worth consuming. As they say around here "not fit to drink".

Poormanfarm said:
You still have to have some container to get your wine out of the fermenting bucket into another container so that all of the lees ( all the gook on the bottom ) will not be in your wine. If I were you and this was my intent not to do it properly, I would forget the whole idea and go out and buy me a bottle of wine. What you are probably going to end up with is a mess and you will not have a product that will be worth consuming. As they say around here "not fit to drink".

I will be transferring to bottles!!!

My advice would be to transfer to another sanitized container (bucket, stock pot, etc), clean the bucket and then transfer back into the bucket.

Then you would need to be able to attach an air lock onto the closed bucket as to not allow oxygen to enter and ruin your wine. I'm sorry but making wine is not the same as making kool aide, and if this is your first time, you need to understand what it is in making a drinkable wine. I suggest you go back and read some post on making wine and deside from there is you really want to make wine. If you do I wish you all the best, and you might find out you've been bitten by the bug and make more. But please read and gain some knowledge and understand what it takes to make wine,,it will be well worth it. The best of luck!!

Good News,,now enjoy the obsession!! Any questions, concerns, or information ask away. There is always something there to help. That is what is so great about this site, everyone is willing to help out another!!

Is it possible to just use 1 fermenting bucket and not do the racking system as this will be my 1st and last wine making experience

Possible, yes. The first wine I ever made was in a crock. Did exactly as you have stated above. It made wine, would light you up with the alcohol in it, and was not really very good. We drank it all, never bottled and didn't try making any for a long time there after. (like years). Then our cherry tree went balistic one year and I decided to use the cherries for wine. Did some research and found you can make a pretty darn good wine If you follow some of the instructions you can find here. Anyway, yep you can do it. I would not do it that way unless there was no other alternative and I needed something to drink. Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back