Will wine degas in the bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasK

Reaction score
I recently bottled a batch of my apple.

Apparently there was more CO2 in there than I thought, because when I poured a glass tonight, there was some fine bubbles rising for a few seconds.

The question is, will the wine degas itself in the bottles over time? I don't have any problems with corks unseating, so it's not bad and the wine is very clear.

Hey DasK congrats on your 101rst post! The wine will not degas in the bottle. You are at risk of having your corks popping out. For now I would watch them every few days and see what happens. I had a cork pop on one bottle of an entire batch of apple last year. I believe it started refermenting again but all of the other bottles were fine.

It could increase pressure and explode. If there is a small amount it's okay but will be fizzy. If there is sugar in the wine and yeast it could be increasing day by day.

I don't think I'm at risk for the corks popping. It's been a couple of weeks with no change in cork status.

It fermented completely dry and I don't back sweeten my apple.

I'll just be sure to "vino vac" before serving and decant a little.

Be careful - rise in temps can cause the pressure build up. I had a friend make blackberry wine - i had a bottle at the house for a few weeks - the temp got quite a bit warmer one day and "POP!!!!".

So be careful..

How was your sulfite levels? If not high enough you could have an MLF (malolactic fermentation) beginning which will increase pressure and does create lots of tiny bubbles in the bottle. If your free sulfite levels were above about 20-25 ppm, it isn't mlf. Just thought I would toss that possibility out there. Apple has lots of malic acid in it and you can get spontaneous mlf going in undersulfited apple wines.

Latest posts

Back