Why does this happen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sampvt:

Just so you are crystal clear, I'll try to make sense of all of the techno data that makes no sense, this is real life and simple, all based on real life wine making experience.

Time in a carboy will eventually remove all CO2, as long as you don't mind waiting. If you will bulk age 6 months plus, don't sweat CO2 removal, it will happen, (just like a carbonated soft drink left open and sitting out), and clearing will progress more slowly also as the CO2 comes out of solution. Very little oxygen exposure to your wine in this process.

If you want to remove it quicker, try the AIO, I don't use one, but EVERYONE who does attests that their wine is CO2 free after a few rackings, two of which you have to do anyway before you bottle, again takes time but less than the method above. Very little oxygen exposure to your wine in this process also.

If you just can't wait to degas and clear, there are numerous agitation methods to try, spoons, drill mounted devices, shaking the carboy, basically whipping the CO2 out of the wine. You will get a physical workout, it's not immediate, but persistence with this method if you choose it will result in victory. Oxygen exposure here is greater than the two above, so take care to minimize it.

You can combine agitation with a Vacuvin hand pump or hand operated brake bleeder, it WILL work, but again, takes persistence and physical effort. A hand operated brake bleeder will pull a vacuum of 30 inHg, if your hand power can keep up the pumping. Less head space makes it easier.

An electric (or compressed air driven, LOL) vacuum pump capable of 25inHg + vacuum also works. It's the fastest of all methods above, I've done them all. Wines are CO2 free in minutes. You CAN vacuum too long, so when you see big bubbles coming up that look like boiling wine, stop, it's that simple. I've never vaporized or eradicated a wine. I fitted my pump with a gage, so I know just what I'm pulling and for how long. Oxygen exposure with this method, like the top two, is minimal.

Lastly, I've drawn a 29 inHg vacuum on a completely empty 23 l Italian glass carboy, it did not implode. I suppose a carboy with an internal flaw, or a crack or something could fail, mine did not, and I only did it once.

Being in the refrigeration/hvac field in the past, I have a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set. I rigged a setup with them and had to throttle air input via the manifold to limit the vacuum in/hg. It was time consuming and a bulky setup that wasn't worth the effort. Steve graciously donated an Allinone in a contest on here that I won. This is a great piece of equipment for amateur wine makers. If I'd have known the convenience of racking and bottling with it, it would have been the first thing I purchased. My wines have been degassed with just 2 or 3 rackings. I highly recommend the Allinone for your racking, bottling, and degassing needs.

Allinone pumps are probably very very good indeed, but over here in the UK they are not available and the postage is prohibitive. I could sell loads of them at the price quoted in the USA, but we cant get them here unless we take a mortgage out for the postage and import duties (if there are any)

This is a simple case of trying to copy one, not to compete with one, due to the simple fact that the UK hasn't got them YET.

iM ALL EARS IF SOMEONE WANTS TO APPROACH ME WITH A FRANCHISE DEAL

Back