Who has pruned their vines already?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Number 8. I have tried both and I think the number 8 is more comfortable in my hands for me. The number 7 just seemed a bit weird to me, but the guy that owned them liked them.

LoneStarLori that vine certainly is very overgrown. I would be sure to prune it next year well before it buds out, otherwise it will soon stop bearing because of the shade it creates on itself.

I live in MN, 25 miles NW of Minneapolis. There is still ~1 foot of snow on the ground.

I have some Marquette vines and this year am planning to prune them to double trunks.

Forecasts still show it getting down to the high teens and low 20's in evenings for the next week. How much longer should I wait to prune them?

Thanks

You have more snow than us! Did you have a lot of winter kill this year? I think I've heard the frost line here was up to 8 feet deep in places. We've had a lot of frozen sewer and water pipes this year.

Anyway, you still have plenty of time. I would probably wait at least a few more weeks.

I pruned about a week ago. Central Alabama. No snow and temperate climate.

I pruned some of my table grapes the other day and decided it was maybe better to wait a lil longer glad I did snow covered the ground again and the temps dipped below freezing but the forecast for next week is mostly rain but with higher temps but we always get an Easter snow it seems to melt fast though

We just pruned our small vineyard over the past week! In NW Oregon at about 550 ft elevation.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Since it was 6 degrees this morning, I'm still a bit away from pruning.

BUT, since we're on the subject . . . Favorite pruners anyone?

I am going to buy some but am torn between the Felco #7 and #8.

Did you get your Felco #8 pruning shears yet Greg? If so how are they working out for you? I bougth a few pairs last year of a cheaper Japanese knockoff for about 2/3 the amount as the Felco #8 I have had for 8 years. The Felco's have some wear, but still work well. The knockoffs are already going bad and have chips all over in the blades. You get what you pay for. I just ordered 2 more pairs of the real Felco #8.

I went out this AM to check the bud damage from the cold winter. Any zone 5 vines are pretty bad with up to 90% of the buds dead. Zone 3 and 4 are looking in good shape. I want to start pruning soon as the snow is down to a bit over a foot deep. Only thing is now we are expecting another dump of snow tonight.

No signs of pushing here, I should probably prune but want them to sleep as long as they can. We are still freezing (most days but not all) in the AM but warming up in the PM (50-60's)

Felco 8 on order but they haven't arrived yet. We're supposed to get 18 inches of snow tomorrow so it looks like I won't be needing them quite yet.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Yeah we woke up to about 7 iches of ver, very heavy wet snow. It packed as you try to push it. I just roughed it out so I can get through it alright and figure that the rest will melt this coming week as it will hit the upper 40's. We now have about 18 inches or so on the level again.

Pruned mine today. Looks like I might have 1 that is dead. Will wait and see before I dig it out and replace.

Classic Texas Mustang grape fence line! Ours are well on there way here in the Houston area also. Can't eat them, pick with gloves - very acidic. Makes a nice wine! Most are never trimmed as they are wild.

Yep,
Topkeg. I learned real quick last year to use gloves. I made some wine that is still bulk resting. It was my first batch ever. Although I don't think it will ever be drinkable, at least I got introduced to the love of wine making.

Sent from my iPhone

We had a foot of snow last night, but looks like I will finally prune them this weekend. Supposed to be in high 50's and maybe even 70 one day next week!

I was going to prune this weekend and then we got a forecast for a blast of cold air to hit us this morning. Sure enough, we got down to around 28 this AM and we have had snow off and on all day. Its melting pretty fast. Will be interesting to see what tomorrows low is after everything clears out. Could be colder. I am just now starting to see some small signs of swelling on the buds yesterday. We had some nice warm temps (75 F degree highs) most all of last week.

I began to prune here last Friday and am about 15% done now. It will go faster when I get some help and am feeling better. I am a week and a half out of a chemo treatment and that always slows me down a bit for a couple weeks or so. It hit 80F today, a high of 63 tomorrow and then 38 for Wednesday. I feel like a YoYo.

Latest posts

Back