There's Life!!! (Now what???)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Villa Niagara

Junior
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for reading and those who guide :)
New Cab Franc plantings, located in Niagara. 3 weeks in the ground and growth appears strong.
I've read a few threads about pruning and am unsure where this practice fits into my "reality" this year.
The picture below represents pretty much all my vines. All vines seems to have multiple shoots,
This vine has 2 strong shoots from the graft, some have 3-4.
Should I tie the them both to the stake or just 1?
Should I allow all the shoots to grow this season, or should I be pruning this year (and when)?
Any direction or links to a good video would be super-appreciated!!
(I apologize for sounding like an expectant father!)

IMG_4172.jpg

Last edited:
I’m on year two with my vines. The first year I let them grow however they wanted. The purpose is to have a lot of leaf area to grow good roots. This year I selected the thickest shoot land pruned it back to 3-5 buds. I ended up thinning these to two dominant shoots and left a few smaller ones. I’m training the big ones up the stake.
image.jpg
Next year I will remove the sub-dominant shoots and leave the two big ones as trunks. Starting next year I understand that I should strip off all growth below the two canes so I have bare trunks.

Last edited:
Back