Removing Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Before I divulge too much embarrassing information regarding my innocent ignorance… I have a statement and a question. I need to remove four 3 year old vines. I attempted one… this isn’t so hard the whole thing was moving earth and then stopped solid. It has two 3/4” thick roots that will not budge. Who knows how far under the earth they are and in what direction they go. I cut them off and the ends are a good 12” under the top of the soil. Will they grow back? I intend to plant new vines where these are. Can find nothing on the internet about removal of a vine.

Dave

I have used a bumper jack in the past to pull up vines. Wrap a chain around the vine base and the shoe of the jack then pump it out. There are always remnants of root left. I try to dig out what I can. Sometimes the roots will push out vines away from the mother plant, but it is ususally easy enough to attack those as needed.

My process has been to not worry about the root. I will clip closet to ground level then knock shoots off the stem a few times over summer. It takes a few seasons but they eventually give up.

If I was anxious I would cut close to the ground and then paint the fresh cut with vine and brush killer.

Latest posts

Back