Where to put the primary fermenter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfmonk

Reaction score
I started my first batch of wine on Saturday and thanks to the help from the people on this forum, it's going good so far :)

I have a question about the surounding environment. My primary fermenter is a translucent bucket. What I mean is that it's not one of the white buckets that you can't see through. In this case you can see the must but it's not clear, like a carboy. I have it in a room that has a lot of windows but no direct sunlight on the fermenter. The temps in the room avg around 75, a little higher in the late afternoon. Is this a good location?

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:
I started my first batch of wine on Saturday and thanks to the help from the people on this forum, it's going good so far :)

I have a question about the surounding environment. My primary fermenter is a translucent bucket. What I mean is that it's not one of the white buckets that you can't see through. In this case you can see the must but it's not clear, like a carboy. I have it in a room that has a lot of windows but no direct sunlight on the fermenter. The temps in the room avg around 75, a little higher in the late afternoon. Is this a good location?

Thanks,
Gary

that location should be fine, but even though it's still during primary fermentation, and light isn't AS important, i would still take an out shirt, or a towel, and cover the enire primary and keep as much light away as possible....

Thanks for the response!! My one concern about a towel was warming up the must too much. How concerned should I be about the temperature?

Thanks for the response!! My one concern about a towel was warming up the must too much. How concerned should I be about the temperature?

A towel will insulate it from room air temp change. I always use towels around my carboys.

When I make beer I alway cover the carboy, I just wasn't sure when it came to the bucket, thanks!!

Back