Finer Wine Kit Primary Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillcapper

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got my first red kit on the way, and only my second kit total. My first was a Riesling that turned out well. I plan to do double skin packs and I’m thinking my 6.5 gallon primary fermenter will not have enough volume. Will I be good with a 8 gallon bucket? Just want to say thanks to Alex from Label Peelers for his help and also Bryan (winemaker81) for his input and help.

I take no chances, I split the juice into two 8g buckets, with a skin pack in each.

I like to give the must a good, vigorous stir after 24 hours after yeast pitching. Also at every cap punchdown.

Last edited:
Had a Tavola kit delivered today. I already have two packs of grape skins. As I opened the box it occurred to me that I will toss all the enclosed packets of fining agents, yeast starter (which is table sugar), nutrients, etc. I prefer to use my own nutrient Fermaid O and Go Ferm for the starter. I wonder if Matt would be open to selling the juice alone at a reduced price.

Those ingredients are only a few dollars of the total cost. Also I don’t think the yeast starter is table sugar.
I called them and asked. The answer was, “table sugar”. On that same call I asked them to identify all the packets labeled A B C D etc. The nutrient is DAP which is nothing but junk food for yeast.

Had a Tavola kit delivered today. I already have two packs of grape skins. As I opened the box it occurred to me that I will toss all the enclosed packets of fining agents, yeast starter (which is table sugar), nutrients, etc. I prefer to use my own nutrient Fermaid O and Go Ferm for the starter. I wonder if Matt would be open to selling the juice alone at a reduced price.
I also toss everything @wineview mentions. I also use Fermaid-O & Go-Ferm. So far I've been pleased with the results

So basically you and I are using the juice, not a kit. I’d like to see a lower price for a juice only order.
Actually I do use the yeast & oak, but those are easily obtainable. I have the oak on hand as I always double up anyway. If I could just order the juice & skins pack I'd happily supply my own yeast and oak. Might get me to try different yeast strains and different toasts of oak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back