when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wines of Georgia

To tell you the truth the names of the wines are very hard for me to pronounce ,so let us just say that if you want to do a wine tour in local wine store , ask and see if they have any wines from Georgia ,, from the sweet, to the dry, to the semidry, to the fortified.

When we think of wines usually think of Italy , , California or S Spain, Australia and other parts of the world try thinking Georgian wines sample a few if you dare remembering this is a part of Europe that has been making wine since biblical times .

From Gino pintos and myself. Thanks for reading this thread...........................:brS

Do you remember??????????

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SORBATE AND KMET?:r

DO YOU RECALL THE EFFECTS OXYGEN HAS ON WINE AND HOW TO AVOID IT?:w

WHEN TO USE SORBATE ,WHEN TO USE KMET.? BETTER YET HOW MUCH TO USE?:ft

WE ARE TESTED EVERY TIME WE APPROACH:u OUR WINE MAKING PROCESS AND TRY TO GET SOMETHING DONE ..DO YOU REMEMBER?:pic

Lightning strikes

In the role winemaking everything is part ,and believe it or not light can affect the wine. Light struck wines and those that have had excessive exposure to ultraviolet light, particularly very delicate one , such as champagnes I generally worse affected ,with the fall, causing a wet cardboard or wet wool type flavor and aroma .wines are really become I struck because of low follow all the phenloic compounds present in the wine that protected it the fault explains why wines are generally followed: less, which blocks ultraviolet light, why wine should be stored in a dark environment....

All of the time when finished the carboy or even a fermentation buckets .. This help us block out the light and helps maintain some of the heat within the wine . Light also transmits heat and this can cause the aging process of wine to speed up theoretically not in a good way ................................ s So when you are done filling your carboys or whatever you store your wine in covered up . :gnP
.covering u

A Tour through Italian wine country

You know I come from Italian American descent and plenty of times on Sundays around my mothers or grandmothers table . They will be loud talking the clatter of dishes and accentuation of raise arms and hands and that was only after four glasses of wine ,the crescendo and then a pause, the conversation would get louder and louder and then a pause as people began to eat and drink before the next wave.

Part of that spectacle was the wine , who had made it ? When was it made? but nobody ever asked how good it was , because it was what it was only wine from someone's basement . (who cared) . The way it was supposed to be?

Many years later I took my first trip of four to Italy , . It felt like home away from home......what about the Italian wines?
you become so accustomed to them in the modern world we really do not stop to think. where did they get their start.? . So were going through some of the areas of Italy. there Types of wines that they make and which are Distinctive only unto them.,., I think you'll know some of the player. as well as Some of the areas. ., but let us go slow. an
if we can take this tour together.. and learn more :wy . Okay.

About Italian Wines

Last edited:
Act I scene one

Italy is home to some of the oldest wine producing regions in the world and is the world's second-largest wine producer behind France ,. That is only if you asked the French, Italian, one is exported around the world and is also extremely popular in Italy, imagine that. 10/25 on the world wine consumption list by volume 42 L per capita consumption. Grapes are grown in almost every region of the country and are more than 1 million things under cultivation. :r

N
Etruscans and Greek settlers produce wine in Italy before the Romans started their own vineyards in the 2 second century BC . Roman grape growing and wine making was prolific and well-organized , pioneering large-scale productions and storage techniques like barrel, making and bottling . :bG

Not remember the last little trip to Georgia their history of wine making was 400 BC . So these are the new kids on the block Etruscans and Greeks and then along came Romulus and Remus, in a New Age began. Now before we get too deep into a history lesson, which I do not want this to be ,but still above the wine regions.:h

Italy's 21 regions correspond to the 20 administrative regions .understanding of a time line becomes clear with an understanding of the differences between each region, their cuisine reflects their indigenous wines, and vice versa. The 36 dOCGA wines are located in 13 different regions but most of them are concentrated in Piedmont and Tuscany. Among these are the appellations appreciated and sought after by wine lovers around the world , Barolo,barbaresco, and Brunello di montalcino affectionately known as the killer bees .:tz.
How many of you out there Made the above wines ? in Italy there are wine regions and districts within the regions and they in turn have wonderful wines within them .We will get to that.

TheThe regions, roughly from northwest to southeast

aosta valley,lomdardy,trentino-alto adige/sudtirol
piedmont ,friuli-venezia gulia,veneto,emilia-romagna
liguria,tuscany,marche,umbria,lazio,abruzzo,molise,
campania,basilicata,apulia,calabria,sicily,ans sardinia.
Now that should give you an idea of how vast the wine making effort is in Italy . What will attempt to do is take some of the regions that are most familiar with you and your wine making pick out the ones that are made in that area given description to the winds and you tell if the wines that you have made sound like the descriptions :ftI know from trading wines for members on this form that wines like amarone ,valopoliceia, and others were all quite good, stay with me will take a tour through wine country, Italian wine country.............:sm

Joe I'm ready for the italian wine tour. Great job on this thread, love reading it and it is very informative. Thank You. A Presto

Flame145

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY,IT SHOULD

:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy
resize_0.gif

resize_1.gif

BE INTERESTING ,HOPE MY THREADS HAVE BEEN INFORMATIVE AS WELL AS SOMEWHAT EDUCATIONAL..STAY TUNED...:try

looking at italian wines

:) Although Italy has many wine growing regions let take a look at the most prominent of them.

:se The region of Tuscany(tosocana) ,around the city of Florence (firenze) ,is famous for producing red wines,primarily from the sangiovese grape.the most famous wine from Tuscany is the most famous wine from all Italy Chianti. you will also hear of other famous Tuscan wines,including brunello,montepulciano . there are also the non-super Tuscan,experimental red wines that are often highly regarded.:rdo

:mThe region of Piedmont,in northern Italy close to the french border,produces the greatest variety of fine wines in Italy. this is where the red barolo and barbaresco come from,as well as the sparkling asti.:i

:i lastly, the regions around Venice (venezia/.veneto)are well known for producing whites wines ,including Soave and pinot grigio.:pee

So we"ll start our tour in Tuscany and the fine wine s that they produce,.
:i
Stay tuned............ :gb

Chianti-- black rooster

:try CHIANTI IS A SANGIOVESE- BASED RED WINE AND IS EASILY THE BEST KNOWN WINE OF ITALY THE REGION OF CHIANTI IS BROKEN DOWN INTO SEVERAL SUB-REGIONS;THE BEST KNOWN ARE CHIANTI CLASSICO AND CHIANTI RUFINA. IF YOU SEE A BOTTLE OF CHIANTI AND IT HAS A BLACK ROOSTER ON IT THAT'S A SYMBOL OF QUALITY,A CHIANTI THAT IS LABELED (RESERVA) MUST HAVE BEEN AGED AT LEAST THREE YEARS.:dg

LETS LOOK AT YEAST: LALVIN-BOURGOVIN RC 212
IS A GOOD CHOICE FOR HEAVIER STYLES OF WINE IS LOW FOAMING MODERATE FERMENTED WITH SPEED AN OPTIMUM FERMENTATION TEMP. BETWEEN 68 AND 86 DEGREES AND HAS GOOD ALCOHOL TOLERANCES TO 16%, .........GOOD ALL AROUND RED WINE YEAST.:try

LIKE MOST ITALIAN WINES CHIANTI IS ESPECIALLY GOOD WITH PASTA,VEAL AND HEAVIER FARE.:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB
THE WINES OF THE TUSCANY REGION ARE AMONGST THE BEST IT THE WORLD AND THE FOODS ARE TO DIE FOR ,SITTING IN A TOWN SQUARE,MARVELING AT ALL THE HISTORY AROUND YOU AND THEN HAVING A GLASS OF WINE ,CHEESE,OLIVES AND CRUSTY BREAD IS A MEAL BY ITSELF.ANTIPASTO IS A KEY ELEMENT IN ITALIAN FOOD USUALLY SOME FORM ,ALONG WITH A ANOTHER GLASS OF WINE ,HAVE YOU EVER TRIED RIPASSA,GOOD FIND ONE IN YOUR LOCAL WINE SHOP EXCELLENT...............................:fSECOND PRESSING:d

Joeswine, you look like an expert on Italian wine. A few days ago, in a store, the manager told me about wine Italian wines Sange di Giuda, which apparently he sells a lot for women. I was looking over them in google and there is considerable controversy about the grapes used for its production. You know them? Thanks!

Catador77

NO NOT A EXPERT BUT I DO LOVE ITALIAN WINES AND COOKING,SO I'll TELL YOU WHAT I DO KNOW.

THIS WINE STYLE COMES FROM NORTHERN ITALY IT'S MADE FROM THE CROATINA GRAPE,THE WINE ITSELF IS LIKE A PARTY WINE SWEET AND FRUITY IT IS A OFF BEAT WINE VERY DARK ALMOST BLACK IN COLOR,A LITTLE BUBBLY AND SOMEWHAT SPICY,A GREAT PARTY WINE TO TRY ,IT PARES NICELY WITH SPICY /HOT FOODS,

THANKS FOR THE VISIT WHAT DO YOU THINK OF WHEN GOOD WINES GONE BAD?

Last edited:
Joeswine,
Having lived in Italy, and been around Italian wine all my life, it is nice to see your passion for great Italian wines!

Heritage

:mnyIT'S WHO I'AM ,ITS WHAT I DO AND HAVE BEEN THERE MANY A TIME,FEELS LIKE HOME.:iTHERE IS NO BETTER FOOD ON THIS PLANET ,LIKE ITALIAN FOOD.........FOR A ITALIAN:)

WE NEED TO CONTINUE...........HOPEFULLY TONIGHT................................:br

Tuscany region

THE MANY GREAT WINES OF THIS REGION ALSO INCLUDE BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO,A COUSIN OF SANGIOVESE THAT IS GROWN IN MONTALCINO.THE GREAT BRUNELLO'S ARE AGED AT LEAST FOUR YEARS OR FIVE .:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try

VINO NOBILE DI MONTEPULCIANO,IS A BLEND OF SEVERAL GRAPES,OF WHICH SANGIOVESE IS DOMINANT.:try

CAN YOU SEE PATTERN WITH THE SANGINOVESE GRAPE BORN AND BREAD TO THIS REGION,ANY GOOD DISH OF PASTA OR HEARTY FARE IS EXCELLENT WITH THESE WINES.:HB

AS WITH CHIANTI,GOOD QUALITY YEAST IS REQUIRED TO EXCEL THE AROMAS AND DEEP COLOR AND FLAVORS OF THESE WINES.:dg

NEXT WILL TRAVEL TO THE PIEDMONT AREA OF ITALY.....................EXCELLENT...:wy

great wines of italy cont.

PIEDMONT,the region of Piedmont ,in northern Italy close to the french border,producesthe greatest variety f fine wine in Italy.

:brBarolo,this wine,made entirely from nebbiolo,is a very rich and complex red wine,if occasionally too tannic and astringent. the barolo region is tiny.
:br Barbaresco,more nebbiolo-based wine,and a bit more balanced than BAROLO;ANOTHER TINY REGION.

:br GREAT FOOD SURROUNDS THIS REGION,FROM PASTA TO SEE FOOD AND CHEESES TO CRY FOR.......TO BE CONTINUED:br

CAN YOU SEE HOW THE DIFFERENT REGIONS HAVE DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS YET ARE SIMILAR?..............:br

"THE WINES OF THE TUSCANY REGION ARE AMONGST THE BEST IT THE WORLD AND THE FOODS ARE TO DIE FOR. SITTING IN A TOWN SQUARE, MARVELING AT ALL THE HISTORY AROUND YOU AND THEN HAVING A GLASS OF WINE, CHEESE, OLIVES AND CRUSTY BREAD IS A MEAL BY ITSELF."

I will second this, Joe. And don't forget a little salt on the Tuscan bread along with olive oil, shaved garlic and black pepper.

Rocky, when I lived in Pisa, within 2 blocks of us, there was a panetteria (bread shop), Salumeria (deli type store, but soooo much more), Cafe', on our way to school in the morning, we could smell the fresh breads being baked, the cheese from the Salumeria, the espresso being brewed at the cafe', makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
We would stop and get what they call Schiacciata, literally means smashed or squashed, it is basically pizza dough that is worked until it is about an inch or two thick, they put dimples in it with their fingers, a light coat of olive oil (obviously extra virgin) is brushed on, and sea salt is added...it doesn't sound like much, but right out of the oven on the way to school....WOW! Or even better, The folks at the salumeria would slice it open and put a little Prosciutto or Mortadella and Provolone on it....now that's a sandwich!
Growing up, wine was always on the table, we were encouraged to taste it with dinner from a very young age.

Back