when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iM HUNGREY

:hug FELLOWS THE FOOD OF ITALY CAN BE VERY SIMPLE YET OUTSTANDING IN EVERY ASPECT,i REMEMBER LUNCH IN THE PIAZZA,WITH CAPPUCCINO, PROSCIUTTO AND CHEES,E MELLON ,AND WATCH THE WORLD GO BY,THIS i THOUGHT MUST BE HEAVEN,DINNERS WERE A FEAST OF 5 COURSES,STATING SOUP,FOLLOWED BY ANTIPASTI,FOLLOWED BY PASTA,FOLLOWED BY MEAT,FISH, POLO AND THEN DESERTS AND LETS NOT FORGET THE WINE..:hugBY THE END OF THE FIRST TRIP i NEEDED TO LOSE 5/7 LBS.:)

Italy

:hug NOT ONLY IS A FEAST TO THE EYES, BUT AS WELL AS A GASTRONOMIC ADVENTURE WITH THE FOOD THE WINE AND THE CULTURE, AS I COULD SEE , YOU BEEN THERE, IN FLORENCE STANDING ON THE BRIDGE OF GOLD AND WATCHING MY WIFE BURN A HOLE IN OUR CREDIT CARDCARD, JUST MARVELING AT THE HISTORY WE WENT BACK TO our hotel THAT NIGHT WE HAD TO TWO BOTTLES OF WINE BOTH WHITE,. I HAD A PLATE OF SPAGHETTI WITH LITTLE GARLIC and oil,. MY WIFE HAD A PLATE OF RAVIOLIS AND BLUSH SAUCE, BOTH OF THE WINES CAME FROM VENITO, I REMEMBER WHERE THEY CAME FROM BUT COULD NOT REMEMBER THE VINEYARD , crisp and VERY FLAVORFUL, LIGHT AROMA WHAT A NIGHT ,BUT I GUESS YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. :se

Last edited:
Joe,
When I lived in Italy, a goodd friend took a group of us to a place that i'll never forget, it was way back in the woods, a small place that didn't look like much, but let me tell you...you talk about 5 courses, this was no lie, there was sooo much food, it just kept on coming and coming, cheese, antipasto, fruits, chick, fish, meats, made in various ways, pasta......the wine never stopped! 3 hrs later they had to roll us out of there...lol...

?????????????????????????????????????

Its a thought bootlegger,that's one way!:dg

Utaly recapped

:reSO FAR WE TALK ABOUT THE TUSCANY REGION,WITH THEIR CHIANTI,BRUNELLO AND MONTEPUCIANO ALL GREAT WINES UNTO :)THEMSELVES.THEN WE MOVED ON TO PIEDMONT,WHERE NIBBIOLO IS THE KEY WINE MAKING RED,IN BAROLO AND BARBARESCO EACH WINE HAS A LITTLE DIFFERENT BALANCE AND FROM ITS ON REGION.:i

LETS NOT FOR GET THE GREAT WHITES OF THIS REGION,ASTI,WHICH IS MADE FROM MOSCATO ,IT IS SWEETER THAN A FRENCH CHAMPAGNE,ASTI SPUMANTE OR JUST SPUMMMANTE AS IT IS ALSO CALLED .:i:dg

MOSCATO,IS THE ITALIAN VERSION OF A PARTY WINE IT CAN BE MADE DRY,SWEET OR AS A DESERT WINE,THE GATEWAY WINE FOR PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY DON'T LIKE WINES?THE ORIGINAL PARTY WINE.:i,WINES OF THIS REGION ARE DISTINCTIVE IN THERE OWN RIGHT,IF YOU NEVER TRIED MOSCATO OR ASTI GIVE YOUR SELF A TASTE TREAT..TRY ONE.:i

Last edited:
The italian bounce?

:dgWHERE GOING TO BOUNCE AROUND ITALY AND TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT THE REGIONS AND THE WINES .

northern Italy.:HB Valle d- aosta,Lombardy,liguria and Piedmont,regarded by some as the significant Italian wine region,barolo is a big contender here,barbaresco another red wine made from nebbiolo,also Merlot and Cabernet,some say Merlot is the king of wines.:try

we already know Piedmont is the home of asti a great sparkling wine made from moscato grape,pinot grigio a light dry white wine crisp with citrus note,Soave from veneto near Venice floral fragrance popular wine there and abroad,the super tuscans as they are loving refers to,Chianti,mostly sangiovese,,:try

and for my part the true king of king wines from near by vaploicella amarone made with air dried grapes,predominantly the carvina variety,and fermented out to dryness for the amarone.it is a concentrated ,complex and frequently beguiling,a taste of wine heaven.:try

have you ever tried a ripasso DI vapolicella. this is done by runn9ind valpolicella once made through the lees of a recioto or amarone wine,take my word for it if you can't afford a bottle of true amarone say starting at $55-THEn TRY THE RIPASSo AT $18-20 ,what a treat,then use that as a bench mark when you make your own..will continue later I'm getting hungry for some...will continue with central Italy:try

Italian wine s to try

:dbIF YOU EVER HAVE THE URGE TO INVEST INN A GOOD BOTTLE OF ITALIAN WINE FOR DINNER,HERE ARE A FEW,TO LOOK INTO.:db

2007 TEDESCHI,AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA $50.00

2006 TOMMASO BRUSSOLA,AMARONE DELLA VALAPOLICELLA CLASSICO $55.00

2008 LA COLOMBAIA,AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA $45.00

2008 ALLEGRINI AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA $65.00

:tz THESE ARE SOME OF THE BEST ,THERE ARE EVEN BETTER,MY THEORY IS i FIRST BUY A BOTTLE OF WINE THAT i WANT TO MAKE AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN THOSE PRICE RANGES LISTED ABOVE,BUT A WINE WITH A DECENT REVIEW,THEN TASTE ,MAKE NOTES AND NOW i HAVE THE BASIC WINE CHARACTERISTIC IN MY HEAD AND HAVE TASTED IT. this is now my taste profile I'm shooting for ,EVEN IF IT DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT WAY i CAN THEN IDENTIFY WHAT PART OF THE WINE FLAWS i HAVE OR DON'T HAVE.:ft

amarone

:u I don't remember but a club member of ours works for the catholic church and travels to Rome quite often,she bought me back a different one ,that I wrote about but, Tomaso,is my favorite and the one I keep stocked at least one bottle for myself :h ripasso styles are excellent,and affordable,keep one of those on hand to have with my olives ,cheeses and salamis,along with tomatoes and ricotta cheese,and of corse a great french baggott!:db while Im cook dinner :db

when ever!

:u just let me know ahead of time and my casa your casa,we will have good wine and food the timing is yours,always pumpkin man.:r

Italian wines

ITALIAN WINES AND THERE ORIGINS AT A GLANCE:wy

THE REGIONS ARE ,ROUGHLY FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHWEST.:wy
AOSTA VALLEY ,PIEDMONT,LIGURIA,LOMBARDY,FRIULLI,VENETO,EMILIA,TUSCANY,MARCHE,UMBRIA,LAZIO,ABRUZZO,MOLISE,CAMPANIA,BASILICATA,APULIA,CALABRIA,SICILYAND SARDINIA,VAST GROWING REGIONS, DISTINCTIVE ONE FROM THE OTHER AND YET DIFFERENT IN FLAVOR BUT WITH STILL A COMMON BOND.......LETS SEE WHAT THEY HOLD.:wy

A GREAT WHITE FROM FROM THE PIEDMONT REGION NOT COMMON TO THE STATES IS ARNISE,CRISP AND FLORA VARIETY,WHICH HAS BEEN GROWN THERE SINCE THE 15TH CENTURY. .SEE IF YOU CAN FIND ONE IN YOUR LOCAL WINE SHOP.:try

GARGANEGA- THE MAIN GRAPE VARIETY FROM WHICH SOAVE,THIS IS A CRISP ,DRY WHITE WINE FROM THE VENOTO WINE REGION OF ITALY.IT'S A VERY POPULAR WINE THAT HAILS FROM THE NORTHEAST OF ITALY AROUND THE CITY OF VERONA.....SOAVE.....A GREAT WHITE TO ENJOY ANY TIME:try

THW GREAT WINES WILL CONT.:wy

Super tuscans

:try THE KING OF ITALIAN GRAPES AND THE BACKBONE IN MANY OF THE MODERN "SUPER TUSCAN'S":try

ITALY'S CLAIM TO FAME ,THE PRIDE OF TUSCANY.TRADITIONALLY MADE, THE WINES ARE FULL OF CHERRY FRUIT,EARTH AD WOOD.IT PRODUCES CHANTI :try(CLASSICO),MONTALCINO,BRUNELLO,MONTEPULCIANO,MONTEFALOCO ROSSO AND MANY OTHERS.SANGIOVESE IS ALSO THE BACKBONE OF MANY OF THE ACCLAIMED "SUPER TUSCAN'S",WHERE IT IS BLENDED WITH BORDEAUX VARIETALS (CABERNET SAUVIGNON,MERLOT AND CAB.FRANC AND TYPICALLY AGES IN FRENCH OAK BARRELS ,RESULTING A WINE PRIMED FOR THE WORLD MARKET AS WELL AS THE AMATEUR WINE MAKERS.:wy

OAKY,HIGH -ABV -AND RIPE ,JAMMY,FRUIT FORWARD PROFILE....:try

WE HAD A WINE MAKER IN OUR GROUP WHO USE TO WIN GOLD AFTER GOLD METALS ACROSS THE COUNTRY FOR HIS ITALIAN WINES, AND WHAT HE LEARNED HOW TO DO WAS TO BUY GOOD QUALITY:try KITS AND BLEND THEM TO CREATE HIS OWN SUPER TUSCAN,AND THEY WERE ALL GOOD,BLENDING WITH A KIT,GREAT IDEA..............................:try

A timewine tour

Of all the times I have been in Italy I cannot remember ever having at that cup of coffee, piece of pastry, desserts, lunch and or dinner its always been a wholesome experience a delight for the taste buds and a treat for the senses ,. We will continue our trip through the wine countries of Italy I hope you will stay with me in 2013 when I hope to display pictures that is my goal ,. The wines of Italy are extensive an impressive . Not all of them are great. Some are excellent, and some are for everyday .

So until we meet again. Thank you for following me

Merry Christmas to alland a safe and healthy new year:f1:f1:f1:f1:f1:f1:f1:f1

Sagrantino

:mny SAGRANTINO, IN NATIVE TO UMBRIA, IS ONLY PLANTED ABOUT 250 HECTARES,, BUT THE WINES PRODUCED FROM IT ARE EITHER BLENDED WITH SANGIOVESES AS RUSSO D MONTEFALCO OR AS A PURE SAGRANTINO, AND THEY ARE WORLD-RENOWNED. INKY PURPLE, WITH RUSTIC BROODING FRUIT AND HEAVY TANNINS , THESE WINES CAN AGE FOR MANY YEARS .:br

:sh EVERY NOW AND THEN I WOULD TREAT MYSELF TO A WINE AND WELL DO IS DUE TO OUR ARE LOCAL SPIRIT SHOP, IN THIS CASE IT WAS CANALS AND JUST BROWSE UP AND DOWN THE AISLES TAKING MY TIME TO READ WHERE THE DIFFERENT WINES CAME FROM NOW FOCUSING ON A CERTAIN AREA IN THIS CASE WAS ITALY . I LOOKED UP AND DOWN THE AISLE LOOKING AT THE LABELS READING THEIR REVIEWS AND I PICKED UP ONE THAT I THOUGHT MIGHT INTEREST YOU IT WAS $13.99 AND IT IS A EXCELLENT RIPASSO,. REMEMBER THAT NAME OR TERM ? :br

:sh OKAY, LET US EXAMINE THIS WINE THE LABEL READS SOLANE IS A PRODUCT FROM CORINA AND RONDONINELLO THESE GRAPES GROWN IN THE HEART OF THE VALPOLICELLA AREA . . FOLLOWING TO A CAREFUL VINIFICATION IN A CONTROLLED FERMENTATION , IT WAS RE-FERMENTED ON THE FRESH MARK OF POTENTIALLY DRY WHOLE GRAPES TO ENRICH FRUITINESS- DELICATE AROMAS AND TO EXTRACT SOFTER TANNINS. . THE WINE IS AGED IN WOOD FOR ABOUT 15 MONTHS. SOLANE IS NOTED FOR ITS RICH AND FULL BODY STRUCTURE AND IS SUITABLE FOR LONG AGING :br.

:sh… NOW DOES NOT THAT SOUND YUMMY, FOR 1399 THIS IS AN EXCELLENT WINE TO DRINK AND GIVE YOUR TASTE BUDS A CHANCE TO TRY SOMETHING OUT-OF-THE-BOX , TAK TAKEN OUT TO DINNER WITH, OR JUST OPENED UP AND RENTED A HOME AN EXCELLENT LINE FOR ALL OCCASIONS AND PRICED RIGHT . :br

The tour continues

Question, how many of you have tried some, the wines we have talked about so far ?

Vermentino, . This is also wine that comes in juice buckets , vermentino is widely planted in northern Sardinia and also found in Tuscany and lugurian, coastal districts . Wines are particularly
.popular. accompany fish and seafood.. .If I knew how. I will post the amount. Italy.,. Sardinia . and Sicily,. With all the regions and between.. This way you be able to better. you can download a map of it yourself. a it would do the same thing. Interesting to see. HOW these WINES INTERMIX with their food. MAKES sense though DOESN'T. vermentino IS an excellent table as are most of the Italian white maybe not as renowned as Pinot Grigio it is still great wine UNTO ITSELF has anyone here made vermentino ? N

Last edited:
Piemonte italy

:mny A great variety of wines come from this region and one especially ,BLACK MALVASIA.:mny

:mny THIS WINE IS A STAND ALONE AND YOU CAN BUT IT BY THE 6 GALLON BUCKETS HERE IN NEW JERSEY,BASICALLY A FILLER WITH SANGIOVESE FOR CHANTI,HOE EVER IT CAN BE PART OF A SUPER TUSCAN TRIO,PAIRED WITH SANGIOVESE,BLK.MALVASI,AND MERLOT TO FORM A GREAT WINE .

:dbIF YOU EVER HAVE THE URGE TO INVEST INN A GOOD BOTTLE OF ITALIAN WINE FOR DINNER,HERE ARE A FEW,TO LOOK INTO.:db

2007 TEDESCHI,AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA $50.00

2006 TOMMASO BRUSSOLA,AMARONE DELLA VALAPOLICELLA CLASSICO $55.00

2008 LA COLOMBAIA,AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA $45.00

2008 ALLEGRINI AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA $65.00

:tz THESE ARE SOME OF THE BEST ,THERE ARE EVEN BETTER,MY THEORY IS i FIRST BUY A BOTTLE OF WINE THAT i WANT TO MAKE AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN THOSE PRICE RANGES LISTED ABOVE,BUT A WINE WITH A DECENT REVIEW,THEN TASTE ,MAKE NOTES AND NOW i HAVE THE BASIC WINE CHARACTERISTIC IN MY HEAD AND HAVE TASTED IT. this is now my taste profile I'm shooting for ,EVEN IF IT DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT WAY i CAN THEN IDENTIFY WHAT PART OF THE WINE FLAWS i HAVE OR DON'T HAVE.:ft

I like the way you think. I've been wanting to make an Amarone after reading so much about them here. I treated myself over the holidays and fell in love. I "only" spent about $40 on the one I bought. As luck would have it, Christmas day WTSO had an Amarone for $25! Free shipping on 4 or more. I happened to be standing next to my brother-in-law and father when I saw it (both wine lovers). So we went in on an order of 4. Now that I know what they are like, I'll be making an Amarone in 2013 for sure.

Latest posts

Back