when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smiley19.gif
lost the post and had no time to go back and replay..but i will continue threads soon.......................
smiley32.gif

WELL HOPEFULLY THIS WILL STICK,
smiley36.gif

WHEN GOOD WINES GONE BAD WAS FIRST WRITTEN IT WAS TO ASK A QUESTION WHAT IF ,NOW i KNOW THIS HAS NEVER HAPPEN TO YOU YET ALONE ME BUT WHAT IF YOU DID MAKE A WINE THAT WAS A LITTLE OFF? I KNOW THATS JUST AN OFF CHANCE BUT WHAT IF?
smiley17.gif
DO YOU HAVE A FIX IT KIT AT THE READY?

smiley36.gif
HERE'S WHATS IN MINE,RED AND WHITE GRAPE CONCENTRATES,FRENCH OAK CHIPS,POWDERED OAK FOR LAYERING,EXTRACTS=ORANGE,LEMON,CITRUS,CINNAMON AND COFFEE,ACID BLEND,SUPPER KLEER,NITROGEN,RAISINS(BLACK AND WHITE) FROM WHOLE FOODS PURE CABERNET JUICE VACUME PACK
smiley3.gif

I KNOW THATS A BIT EXTREME BUT THATS ME),KMET AND SORBATE......
smiley32.gif
WHATS IN YOURS?????????

Superkleer!
Oak chips, beans, sawdust, both Hungarian and French Med toast and Med+ toast
Tartaric acid, Sulfite powder, Sorbate
Lots of yeast strains other than EC-1118, DAP, GoFerm, Fermaid-K, Optimalo Plus, extra MLB
Lots of chemicals for testing TA, SO2
Chromatography Kit for testing MLF
Argon gas
And of course lots of wine on the racks that could be used for topping off or blending.

see there's always something else,,getting old can"t remember it all
smiley19.gif
is there aNything else???????????????????????
smiley32.gif

THATS ONE REPLY ,WHAT DO YOU SAY???????????

Ifthe wine isa little off, I just keep it and drink myself!

I'd say Superkleer is one of the top items to keep on hand, although can't think of anything that was an emergency to have that couldn't wait a day or so.

Well except band-aids, right Appleman
smiley2.gif

It doesn't have to be an emergency just supplies on hand in case you have to take corrective measures or adjustment, whatever you choose go, then and now. Also most of the stuff on hand should be things that you would use all the time in wine making.

Super kleer, is a good element to have on hand.

what say the rest of you??????</font>

I'm new to wine making and have only done a few standard kits. I loved my sweet sherry batch andhope to have some bottles left when itis properly aged....startedtasting/drink after only 3 weeks old......6 weeks now and l love the taste.......anyway.....I thought Iwould make some wine frompineapple juice. I read a dozen or so receipes and made a 3 gallon batch. At time of clearing i used Super Kleer and it started clearingright away and now it is only 3 days and looks crystal clear! All the receipes I read talked about natural clearing and no chemical clearing agents....6 months to clear...rack..clear..rack clear..etc.Is this wine going to taste like crap now? I know I have to back sweeten it. Is there anything you suggest to add for flavoring? I used pineapple juice/sugar/water/acid blend/tannin/pectic enzyme/yeast nutrient/LALVIN K1V-1116 yeast for the must. A little sweet to start ....SG 1.1 ended with .990 ....yea probably a little too alcholic...huh?

</font>

Hi and welcome to the form, good to hear from you, superkleer should never impede the taste just the clarity, that's was designed for. As far as the flavor enhancement if you feel you need more than I would go to the grocery store and pick up a can of frozen pineapple juice defrosted and places in thewine, allow it to settle outa few days starting the set a few days at more superkleer and that should be that you should not even have the backing.... Try that Ithink it will work, if you could take the time to read good wines gone bad, it will give you the basis of one making corrections at least in theory when lease mine on how to take corrective action what to look for as you go along, let me know how you make out please do stay in touch I get lonely out here, yours JP</font>

What's been a while as he did any real discussion so I thought I would go back over good wines gone bad ,going back to the fix-it column.

Let's start with the subject that seems to be ongoing stuck fermentation, what is stuck fermentation exactly, it's a condition in which yeast has not started becoming active or has prematurely cease converting sugar in the grape juice INTO alcohol, this is a very common occurrence. its a result of one or more of the following factors if using grapes ,
moldy, sugar concentration is too high , alcohol content is too high, fermentation temperatureisToo low or too high , free sulfur dioxide content is too high or lacks nutrients .

A good alcohol fermentation requires a favorable environment for yeast to become active to multiple. otherwise, fermentation may fail to start or may stop before completion , resulting in a sweet,low alcohol wine, stuck fermentation is easily detected by measuring the sugar content with a hydrometer. The specific gravity or SG of a dry wine should be 0.995 or lower . it is above 1.000 and remains unchanged for more than a day , in your fermentation is most likely stuck .
Choosing the right yeast for your wine is especially important for specific strains have characteristics that will with stand high alcohol wine, and will add the correct characteristics that you're looking for, remember the part when we talked about partners- if not go back and read it, for the right yeast is critical to develop the wine, nutrients are also key in developing the bodyand the structure of wine, there are times you need to help the yeast by providing additional nutrients that the yeast needs to survive and not go into stuckfermentation , if the conditions call for but then this is where you ,come in.

to be continued. To be continued

Still learning to use Dragon it's a great word tool but it does haveits drawbacksor I'm not sure sometimes I say what I mean but it prints when it thinks crazy.

smiley2.gif
I know I have experienced stuck fermentation more than one occasion ,it seems to be the natural order of things in winemaking that something that we have to be very aware about I have some wine in the basement at the moment that is long flavor and short on alcohol .

smiley3.gif
There are ways that I can correct this problem what is to try and start the fermentation by warming up the wine adding yeast, yeast nutrient, testing the SG and starting over this should not impair the flavor of the wine at this point . however if I wanted to cheat I could use a little Everclear 1 ounce at a time just to give it bite. I Know in some cases if you're not careful this method can result in a good brandy ? how many of you have run into this problem? I would say quite a few from the threads that I have read on various forums, I think I will try warming the wine with my heater strip and try two restart fermentation . I know from reading this thread and other forms that some people have a problem meeting a hydrometer, in some cases that's true, knowing how to use one is a very important tool in your toolbox - just asked it's fun we learned together .
smiley32.gif

joeswine said:
Still learning to use Dragon it's a great word tool but it does haveits drawbacksor I'm not sure sometimes I say what I mean but it prints when it thinks crazy.

smiley2.gif
I know I have experienced stuck fermentation more than one occasion ,it seems to be the natural order of things in winemaking that something that we have to be very aware about I have some wine in the basement at the moment that is long flavor and short on alcohol .

smiley3.gif
There are ways that I can correct this problem what is to try and start the fermentation by warming up the wine adding yeast, yeast nutrient, testing the SG and starting over this should not impair the flavor of the wine at this point . however if I wanted to cheat I could use a little Everclear 1 ounce at a time just to give it bite. I Know in some cases if you're not careful this method can result in a good brandy ? how many of you have run into this problem? I would say quite a few from the threads that I have read on various forums, I think I will try warming the wine with my heater strip and try two restart fermentation . I know from reading this thread and other forms that some people have a problem reading a hydrometer, in some cases that's true, knowing how to use one is a very important tool in your toolbox - just asked it's fun we learned together .
smiley32.gif

Let's talk yeast There is a world of information out there, all's you have to know is what your looking for an the Internet will direct you to it, yeast and all types of yeast go on to lalvins website you find a great chart on the chart you will find five differenttypes of yeast , take for example dry whites, BC – 1118 has very good characteristics ICV D – 47 has thebetter characteristics for whites if you're aging reds that young RC 212 is good to use as opposed to K-1 B – 1116 Saturday the chart stock fermentation will will this help you out. Check across their EC – 1118 is the highest alcohol content you'll notice that the late harvest it's also very good.

There is a whole world of yeast manufacturers out there from dry yeast to liquid yeast it all depends on your research the type of wine finish you wish to achieve and the time you want wine to age or set up or if it's young the same protocol. So what you need to do is once again know your partners, which wine types are best with which types of yeast, almost like blending, which partners go together best or don't .talk you later..PLAN,THINK ,AND DO....THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Hi there, let's talk about cloudiness in wine thiscould result from improper racking, when sentiment is disturbed and allowed to go into suspension, or from improper clarification, such as incomplete finding or filtration with to course a pad, or a high fruit pectin content. Cloudiness may reappear in a perfectly clear and brilliant-color wine during aging. This will happen in one's that have not improperly stabilized.

To reduce cloudiness, let the settlement settle to the bottom of the container and then carefully wrapped the wine. The wine can be clarified by finding. Using your favorite fining agent, followed by another racking. Always allow a minimum of two or three weeks before racking. Occasionally, why can be filtered, particularly if cloudiness process.

Pectin may be another source of problems for me making wine from grapes fruits .a clear wine with type-content make cause the wine to turn cloudy in the bottle. Pectin enzymes can be used to reduce excessive pectin and particular cloudiness problems. Be sure to dissolve powder in cool water before adding it to the juice. We have all experienced the cloudiness in the wine we've all experienced tartaric crystals also and that's a will talk about next .good night

smiley2.gif
from Lucille and me merry christmas
smiley31.gif
to
all,be safe out their........
smiley32.gif
</font>

smiley32.gif
It's a new year time to start when good wines gone bad for 2012...............................................stay tuned</font>
smiley2.gif

So what started with when good wines gone bad, have you evermade a wine and smelled something that smelled like rotten eggs I have smelled that burnt sulfur smell, will welcome aboard let's talk about .

The dreaded, common sulfur smell found in problem wines is a result of over-processing with sulfite. It is easily detected by its distinctive pungent burnt -match smell, and, at high concentrations, it can be overpowering. If the sulfur smell is detected and fermenter, aerate the wine by successive vigorous raccoons and you can no longer detected. If detected in the bottle, aerate the wine by decanting it into another container, and repeat until you no longer to detect the smell. In both cases, but the wine splash at the bottom of the container. On the other hand and run a smell wines is caused by the presence of hydrogen sulfide, and may be cured depending on its intensity. if not treated early H2 S will react in the wine form first into mercaptains, followed by disulfides-both are foul-smelling compounds that cause wines of spoil. The presence of either compound is particularly reversible winemaking. Unless you have a wide chemical knowledge in the laboratory to correct the problem some specific type to grapes are susceptible to this problem prong aging the wine in the presence of sulfur deposits arising from burnt sulfur during barrel maintenance in the bowels will also cause H2 to form, your cases, aerate the wine bluntly by wracking against the wall container to reduce the amount of each to S. This has the drawback of accelerating oxidation and has to be assessed against the severity of the H2 S problem. See is not as easy as it looks and can get quite complicated when you're dealing with fresh grapes, most of us deal with wine in the former first use your we should have a problem unless we created ourselves, the fresh usually it is supposedly balanced out with the proper amount of acid, that these are not the only items that can spoil one.

To be continued

Latest posts

Back