when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Adding to the mix

the reason i don't buy a luge of grapes of a certain TYPE is that a luge is usually 18lbs.and i don't need that quantity at any time when i can make a fpac at will and use it when i want suppose you don't have freezer space to give up for grapes and if you don't vacuum seal them properly they can crystallize and taste burnt.on the other hand if i could buy say,chardenay grapes by the pound then i would considerate and I would do just that ,IT's a matter of preference and space.

Last edited:
SHARAZ with Corinthian grapes

follow the flow will be ready to bottle in a week ,great color and aroma you can do this too with planning and thought.:ib

1 Wineexpert Shiraz kit.jpg

2 kit contents.jpg

3 Corinth Grapes.jpg

4 yeast.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stir.jpg

7 SG reading.jpg

8 chapitalization.jpg

9 add yeast.jpg

10 add oak.jpg

Sharaz with black corithian grapes

the flow continues.................:d
Wineexpert Shiraz Kit

Here is our kit that we received from Wineexpert. This kit had the bulk of the items listed below included (we added the Corinth grapes, simple syrup, different yeast, and extra tannins).

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 1 Lb Corinth Grapes (we crushed them)
· 1 Package of ICV-D254 (this kit came with a red-star premium yeast packet, I choose this packet. More info below.)
· 2 Ball Jars of Simple Syrup (each ball jar equates to 1% abv)
· bentonite
· Metabisulphite
· Sorbate
· Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· 1 Hungarian Oak
· 1 tbsp wine tannins
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.080.
· Now, here comes the Hungarian oak!
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! This kit came with a Red Star Premier yeast. I however choose to use ICV-D254. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.

These are the characteristics and the reasons why we choose the yeast we choose:
ICV-D254 (when used with Shiraz) makes wine that has a big mouth feel and rounding of tannins, intense fruit, more dried then fresh along with a nice spicy quality if present in the fruit. Helps with color, stability and its useful for adding body to blends.

(from here on down is still info for amarone, we have to still edit it. We are not yet in the secondary for the shiraz)
Secondary Fermentation:
Now that we fermented dry (SG reading is 1.010), now it’s time to rack it.
Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formed from the grape skin packet that was provided in the Wineexpert Amarone Kit, along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).
We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’m going to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over the weekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashioned stir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with the potassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet of Chitosan (clearing agent).

11 one lb of corinth grapes.jpg

12 gently crushed grapes.jpg

IMG_20140816_132107459 - Copy.jpg

Sharaz and corinthian grapes

flow to the finish.............:spm
this wine although young has a good solid foundation on which to mature, dry and deep yet you can still taste the fruit coming through, good alcohol balanced out the oak and tannins ,add great color and decent aroma for this kit which most don't have any aroma to speak of that's were the CORTHINIAN grapes hold there own as a stabilizer good value at $60.00 plus labels.don't be afraid to put your touch on your wine what's the most that can happen you fail and learn for the next time we all do.

IMG_20141001_151914715.jpg

IMG_20141001_151937005.jpg

IMG_20141001_155306154.jpg

IMG_20141001_165816081.jpg

IMG_20141001_165838502.jpg

IMG_20141001_165941006.jpg

IMG_20141001_171443736.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there!

My uncle's just found that there was a piece of newspaper in the bucket. Should it be discarded?

Thanks
Hani

Sharaz with black corithian grapes

lets take this from the top ,if you can find the Corinthian grapes use them if you can find ZANTES currents their the same only hydrated, fresh have a very different profile though.:wy
follow the flow till the end ,planning and knowing your process even with the TWEAKS is paramount .remember this was a $44.00 kit and it turned out ,outstanding if I do say so myself.:ib

2 kit contents.jpg

3 Corinth Grapes.jpg

4 yeast.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stir.jpg

7 SG reading.jpg

8 chapitalization.jpg

9 add yeast.jpg

10 add oak.jpg

Last edited:
Shiraz with Corinthian grapes

the process continues follow the flow......remember plan your work and work your plan.........:br
Wineexpert Shiraz Kit

Here is our kit that we received from Wineexpert. This kit had the bulk of the items listed below included (we added the Corinth grapes, simple syrup, different yeast, and extra tannins).

· Large bag of juice
· 1 Package of ICV-D254 (this kit came with a red-star premium yeast packet, I choose this packet. More info below.)
· bentonite
· Metabisulphite
· Sorbate
· 1 Hungarian Oak
· 1 tbsp wine tannins
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! This kit came with a Red Star Premier yeast. I however choose to use ICV-D254. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.

These are the characteristics and the reasons why we choose the yeast we choose:
ICV-D254 (when used with Shiraz) makes wine that has a big mouth feel and rounding of tannins, intense fruit, more dried then fresh along with a nice spicy quality if present in the fruit. Helps with color, stability and its useful for adding body to blends.

(from here on down is still info for amarone, we have to still edit it. We are not yet in the secondary for the shiraz)
Secondary Fermentation:
Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formed from the grape skin packet that was provided in the WinexpertKit, along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).
We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’m going to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over the weekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashioned stir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with the potassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet of Chitosan (clearing agent).

IMG_20140927_182826287 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140927_182854502 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20141001_151914715.jpg

IMG_20141001_151937005.jpg

IMG_20141001_165813224.jpg

IMG_20141001_165937190.jpg

Last edited:
-good-wines-gone-bad-

Joe following up on a couple of points:
1. if you have the fresh Black Corinth grapes, use them as you have in the primary
2. If these are dehydrated Zante Corinth grapes, would you just add them to the primary and let them re-hydrate themselves

would you add the above to the secondary ? If you did, what options would you take and what do you think the outcome would be?

I have read your previous posts on add to the primary versus the secondary but sine these are dehydrated vs. real grapes? Conjecture?
Thanks
Corinth

corinth

QUESTION 1. I WROTE A THREAD ABOUT PARTNERSHIPS BETWEEN ADDITIVES IN THE PRIMARY AS APPOSED TO THE SECONDARY AND THE ROLL THEY PLAY IN THE TASTE AND FINISH OF THE WINE.
ZANTES- IN THE PRIMARY, ADDS TO THE OVERALL TASTE PROFILE, MIXING WITH THE JUICE BASE AND BECOMING A BLENDED WINE.USUALLY 1 LB. TO SIX GALLONS IS A GOOD BLEND.
ZANTES- IN THE SECONDARY WILL DO THE SAME THING ONLY WITH NOT HAVE AS MUCH IMPACT TO THE TASTE OF THE WINE BUT TO THE STRUCTURE,A POSITIVE AFFECT.THEY WILL PARTNER BETTER. RE-HYDRATE IN THE SECONDARY JUST BEFORE FERMENTATION IS COMPLETED.
FRESH FRUIT SUCH AS GRAPES ALWAYS DO BETTER IN THE PRIMARY AS A DIRECT PARTNERSHIP IN THE FINIAL OUTCOME OF THE PROCESS.
ANY HELP FOR YOU ?.....:br
ZESTING IS ALWAYS BEST DO IN THE SECONDARY OR EVEN THE THIRD RACKING ,1 MONTH BEFORE BOTTLING AND IS A POSITIVE ENHANCER.:tryTHIS ACTS AS AS A ACIDITY BOOSTER AS WELL AS CONTRIBUTING TO THE BRIGHTNESS IN THE FINISH.

/when-good-wines-gone-bad-

Thanks Joe,
i do have all your notes and read through them but I just needed to hear it one more time as this time, there a couple of things I obviously missed but fill in the gaps.
Again, thank you.
Corinth

SHARAZ with black CORTHINIAN grapes

good back and follow the flow ............

3 Corinth Grapes.jpg

Sharaz with black corinthian grapes

Excellent way to give a decent kit a sparkle and a fruity finish,chorinthian grapes are easy to work with and taste great.follow the flow................

3 Corinth Grapes.jpg

4 yeast.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stir.jpg

7 SG reading.jpg

8 chapitalization.jpg

9 add yeast.jpg

10 add oak.jpg

SHARAZ with black CORTHINIAN grapes

FLOW CONTINUES..............:se WE'LL
Wineexpert Shiraz Kit

· Large bag of juice
· bentonite
· Metabisulphite
· Sorbate
· 1 Hungarian Oak
· 1 tbsp wine tannins
The Process:

Secondary Fermentation:
Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formed from the grape skin packet that was provided in the Wineexpert Amarone Kit, along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).

BE READY TO BOTTLE VERY SOON

Last edited:
Sharaz and corinthian grapes

go back and review the flow.......tasted this last night you won't believe the great taste from a cheap kit with just a little thought and planning..:mny

IMG_20141001_165937190.jpg

sharaz with corthian grapes

TOOK this wine out for the first time to a dinner along with my 2008 AMARONE to a party of 37 men (retirement party ) the SHARAZ was a hit and the AMARONE was gone in a flash, this was a mid priced kit with a twist give it a try, you'll like it.

2 kit contents.jpg

3 Corinth Grapes.jpg

4 yeast.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stir.jpg

7 SG reading.jpg

8 chapitalization.jpg

9 add yeast.jpg

10 add oak.jpg

Back