Blue plastic barrel (HDPE-2) after transporting iodine powder ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a chance to purchase blue plastic barrels with open lid that were originally used to transport iodine powder. After that, according to seller, they were cleaned using isopropyl alcohol solution.

They are food graded, HDPE-2 barrels. Pretty wide used in US home winemaking. I actually have these types of barrels, just need more. Usually, I bought these barrels carrying food supplies, additions, like milk supplements, sugar, etc.

I am wondering of how bad is the fact that iodine powder was there? Generally speaking it is not good, but who knows? Iodine based sanitizers for home wine and brew makers have existed on the marker, so iodine itself should not be so bad to ferment a wine into it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Iodine is a sanitizer in the milk and beer industry. Iodine is a essential nutrient.

My mode of operation would be wash then fill with water so that it is visibly clean and let it sit over night so anything in scratches can dissolve, ,, then use it.

by the way, welcome to WMT

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have a chance to purchase blue plastic barrels with open lid that were originally used to transport iodine powder. After that, according to seller, they were cleaned using isopropyl alcohol solution.

They are food graded, HDPE-2 barrels. Pretty wide used in US home winemaking. I actually have these types of barrels, just need more. Usually, I bought these barrels carrying food supplies, additions, like milk supplements, sugar, etc.

I am wondering of how bad is the fact that iodine powder was there? Generally speaking it is not good, but who knows? Iodine based sanitizers for home wine and brew makers have existed on the marker, so iodine itself should not be so bad to ferment a wine into it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I can't comment on the iodine, but others have. In the past, I have bought 50+ gallon plastic barrels for $5 each that were used to import lime juice from South America. I sawed the tops off and they made a great "lid" for the barrels during fermentation. I also took them to a self serve car wash, washed them with oxy-clean and rinsed them with clear water under pressure. Finally, I added stainless steel spigots at the bottom. Never had a problem with them.

Latest posts

Back