What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popped a 187ml bottle of my first wine, a Mezza Luna Red. It was pitched 5 months ago, so still quite young. Don't know whether to be disappointed or pleased. It is less "green" than my last sample, with the greeness faded out entirely on the finish to some rounded black cherry flavors. Still not much on the nose. Also, I think I detect what must be the dreaded KT, sort of an "artificial sweetness" somewhere in the mid-palate among the harsh greeness of young wine.

On the bright side, its better than before and will probably be enjoyable down the road. In a couple months I'll do a side by side comparison of this version and the version I added Tannin FT Rouge to.

On another positive note, I sampled my CC Sterling Pinot Grigio a couple days ago (that I started in early December) and it is drinkable verging on pleasant with some hints of interesting (some floral tones are coming out, and less lemon/citrus more pear). Will wait a couple months to let it develop (and the weather to get hot) to start opening full bottles.

Last edited:
had a single glass of strawberry champange, made out somewhere in the fingerlakes region of Good ole NY!

I am not a champange person, but it was not that bad

Drinking my 2014 winexpert Cab Sauv Vintners Reserve.

Only in the bottle two weeks, it still tastes... Young. The oak tastes like when I Oaked the juice during primary fermentation. It's got a very smooth mouth-feel. It's got a low-low/medium sweetness followed by dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Oh dear, nothing yet. Drinkies + Power Tools = A BIG No-No! I'm building a rack to put the ones that are aging out-of-site/out-of-mind. I know me well enough to know that if I don't stash it away, it will never see a year.

I'm sure I'll be finding something nummy to sip on later.

Original Skeeter Pee. 3rd bottle from this batch....love this stuff!

A new one for me. I have never tasted a vranec grape before. Found this in a local shop today. I suspect it is the only Macedonian wine within 250 miles.

1926672_10100426139480199_7746239207032812699_n.jpg

finished off a red Cinquain, and now a bottle of Kolsch from Two brothers brewery. Cleaning out the fridge tonight.

Greg, I'd love to get my mitts on that wine. A couple with whom we are good friends are Macedonian, and I bet they would get a kick out of it.

Their families made wine growing up, and they have shared memories of it. One thing that amused me, for some dumb reason, was that they called the wine either "white" or "black" (not red). I was trying to decode the Cyrillic on the label to see if I could figure out if the wine was described as "red" or "black." The first two words obviously translate to "Quality wine." I cannot identify the third word ("so"), but I think it then says something like "geographica protected." (Not at all sure about the "protected" part, but it makes sense.)

How was it?

As for me, I opened a bottle of my "Pan-American Meritage" wine. Very delish.

It was delicious. I think this is often described as a cousin to Zinfandel. Dark fruits, intense complex flavors with subtle hints of vanilla and cinnamon.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Okay, I ran it past my Macedonian friend, and this is his response:

Paul,

First, the name: "Vranec", implies something black and shiny, most commonly used as a synonym for a black stallion. It comes from the word "vrana" for crow, or raven, and the sufix "ec" implies a masculine quality.

The writing "КВАЛИТЕТНО ВИНО СО ГЕОГРАФСКО ПОТЕКЛО" literally translates to "Quality Wine with Geographic Origin", meaning it's specific to a geographic region. Tikves, or as it's properly pronounced as Tikvesh, is known for wine production since Hellenic/Roman time.

I am going out for a celebration. Heading to the local "english" pub for some fish and chips.
Washing it down with:
Double Chocolate Stout
Jamesons spicy pickle back shots!!!!

:dg

Going to try some of my red currant. (Thanks Arne for the currants)

Latest posts

Back