What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Date night with Mrs. Boatboy last night. We tried a new restaurant and caught the Phillip Phillips show at Wolf Trap. Anyway, I had a cocktail before dinner called the "Bone". It is Knob Creek bourbon, fresh lime juice and tabasco, garnished with a bacon lollipop. Oh, man, was it good!

2011 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Cold Creek Vineyard

I believe last time I posted I also had an Indian Wells Chateau Ste. Michelle Cab and noted that that Chateau Ste. Michelle had better wines. This one is better.

IMG_20160811_194834.jpg

2010 - Redbanks Farms (that's me) Cab Franc, Mouvedre, Touriga. Smells of fruit fly taint and taste lacks fruit and body... Like a good Georgia wine!

wine&still.jpg

Too hot for red wine - at least right now. I'm starting off with a New Belgium Heavy Melon. Grilling steak tonight and decided to make a red wine reduction and some sautéed 'shrooms with it. So I grabbed a bottle of Dreaming Tree "Crush". Half of that will go into the sauce, the other half into the chef. :i

Something I grabbed on my way out of the wine shop. No tasting notes taken. It is interesting though, but needs to breath a little bit. I expect to improve in about 30-45 minutes.

79qgOgj1w6F8pOo95WDxAKxvc9TCSXaNXUuag5swcPMf_XdHCoy24lpgXI9KlrUhI7k7ktFJQZJUrMi6-vA13pzWpoBko5h67eWEjlkajsM4_cp5-tF4XZ5xAq8yaSXsypRjtdEYMaYTfebmwoF704fai5JUOSqUOdVxgtAbQ9Zx2ZHBNNMODR8JbRFAAKjeMpG-KRYozPO8NJM_-bCgpL52YEi6EVuCSbcDYD5HufbCubz1P0h4z4r8V9O9niWgHxBJNAK2PyHpPzm-tOW9Bg3WuWq5hCsrL5qkbNclTjt3w0ZJZOVol2vBtM2m16pre04KYYh-7xoGaTeq3XnhiBOt-tJeA6bRh8KP-2a05W0nKKtN1AcaeLX7kPRMKjpSmK7zufpbMqcnnMUBg1bBgVVfQuk2XANsWq7CWbdBN71KiJqWqGIpTenvr2hIX1-yaaTly7JalaVxqg2N88cmoQoOUw_L80vKR-R8NUNGFm7txAouBqXV6QmYdvF-xYQRKa5OWXrws2yX5eQ8cKDw1MkG7DUDLQgII8tp0sTeVK6vhaQrt9seSYxWU2LQ_gKiuafUvKb-UGvQ18SAoiuLTe6RTXp8BnjE=w735-h979-no

Too hot for red wine - at least right now. I'm starting off with a New Belgium Heavy Melon. Grilling steak tonight and decided to make a red wine reduction and some sautéed 'shrooms with it. So I grabbed a bottle of Dreaming Tree "Crush". Half of that will go into the sauce, the other half into the chef. :i

I chill my reds down to 65F and I stay inside where it's always 72F when it's 90F + 90H outside! :sh

btw, is it just me or does anyone else hate it when you order a red at a restaurant and they serve it near 78F. I do not like big heavy reds served that warm.

I chill my reds down to 65F and I stay inside where it's always 72F when it's 90F + 90H outside! :sh

btw, is it just me or does anyone else hate it when you order a red at a restaurant and they serve it near 78F. I do not like big heavy reds served that warm.

I've only done it a few times, but I have sent wine back because it was too hot. Occasionally, I'll walk into a restaurant, see where there wine is stored, and decide I'm drinking something else that night.

@David - Yes I hate that, but I put up with it all the time. I like to taste as the temp changes., especially the other way around - sitting out on the deck on a cool fall evening as the wine opens up it is cooling (I like to do this with Spanish reds).

My other pet peeve is a bottle that has been open overnight (or longer) and oxidized, or sat in the sun and went over 80F. Seems like most of the bartenders/waiters at restaurants out here in the country are young and/or inexperienced with wine and have no idea why you would turn it back. I let them know as politely as possible and give a big tip ($$ not lessons).

Something I grabbed on my way out of the wine shop. No tasting notes taken. It is interesting though, but needs to breath a little bit. I expect to improve in about 30-45 minutes.

I've never had that particular one, but am definitely a fan of the blend.

I've never had that particular one, but am definitely a fan of the blend.

It turned out even better than I expected. Bold and jammy like a big Shiraz is, yet all the beautiful nuances provided by the Viognier. I think I may go grab another two bottles and cellar them. I was surprisingly happy with once it relaxed.

Latest posts

Back