What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will drink white wine tonight as i have to attend a party and it looks good having a chilled glass of white wine with ice in parties.:h

Give me all you numbers.

What was the volume of the wine sample?

Did you add distilled water to the sample? If so how much?

What what the Normality of the NaOH?

How many ML of NaOH did it take to reach the endpoint?

How did you detect the endpoint? Color change or pH meter?

UPDATE TO THIS POST
But it took 7.8ml on this wine...

Hi all - this is my first post. I'm so excited to have found this site. I'm drinking a wild muscadine wine I made in 2008 from grapes in my back yard when I still lived in the suburbs. The age really helps, but this one is past its prime now, starting to oxidize.

Give me all you numbers.

What was the volume of the wine sample?
3cc
Did you add distilled water to the sample? If so how much?
yes...6cc
What what the Normality of the NaOH?
0.10 NORMAL
How many ML of NaOH did it take to reach the endpoint?
7.8cc
How did you detect the endpoint? Color change or pH meter?
Color change using two different Titration kits, one being newer than the other. And pH meter, using the newest solution of 0.10 Normal with the pH meter....So this would be 3 tests in all.

Not enough sample. Use 5ml minimum.

Not enough water. Use at least 25-50ml distilled water depending on how big your test vial is. Should be 50-66% full with the mixture of wine and distilled water. Has to be distilled water, not spring, not purified, distilled.

Use a pH meter that is calibrated with 4.01 buffer solution as a minimum and if you have 7.0 buffer do a two point calibration using both.

Color change using two different Titration kits, one being newer than the other. And pH meter, using the newest solution of 0.10 Normal with the pH meter....So this would be 3 tests in all.

In my case I use .02 solution and no water but instead 6cc of wine (If my memory serves me right...lol)
I shoot for an endpoint pH of 8.2

Not enough sample. Use 5ml minimum.

Not enough water. Use at least 25-50ml distilled water depending on how big your test vial is. Should be 50-66% full with the mixture of wine and distilled water. Has to be distilled water, not spring, not purified, distilled.

Use a pH meter that is calibrated with 4.01 buffer solution as a minimum and if you have 7.0 buffer do a two point calibration using both.

Yes on the 8.2 pH meter end point.

Yes on the distilled water. This is what I used.

And yes on the calibration and buffer solutions, went and bought new solutions to double check calibrations and they were spot on.

Also later that nite and next day the roof of my mouth and throat were sore, 1 day later a small patch of blister like bumps arose on upper right side of my palate about 3 days latter they must of burst and looked ulcerated. Wife and son wanted me to go see Doctor, I didn't, it healed in two weeks. The pain was almost unbearable for the first week.

Too much info I know, this is why it confused me so.

I have purchased a small amount of lab equipment for titrating acids.

But I feel their (Titration kit) instructions and formula will be very close to if not the same as other methods.

You didn't drink the titrated sample afterwards did you! :sh

Also later that nite and next day the roof of my mouth and throat were sore, 1 day later a small patch of blister like bumps arose on upper right side of my palate about 3 days latter they must of burst and looked ulcerated. Wife and son wanted me to go see Doctor, I didn't, it healed in two weeks. The pain was almost unbearable for the first week..

You didn't drink the titrated sample afterwards did you! :sh

No LOl

This wasn't a sample, it was a blended wine bought from the wine store for around 13 dollars. After I started drinking it I had to go take a pH and a TA so I could see why it tasted so odd. It had a capsule over the cork , and the cork was the brand of the wine. it was not tampered with in any way.

My son didn't feel the wine was the reason for the blistering of my palate, but my palate being tender from drinking it, he thought was reasonable. He felt it was just a coincidence. He's in Pharmacy, so ...

In my case I use .02 solution and no water but instead 6cc of wine (If my memory serves me right...lol)
I shoot for an endpoint pH of 8.2

Yes, I started using the 0.2N solution also, using the little titration box kit the # of ml = TA . So 6ml would be 0.60% TA, and I use the pH meter with it also.

I'm switching to using the burette and the formula @ibglowin and others use. My son likes the accuracy of it better than these kits. I feel they will be close, he (son) disagrees, we'll see.

2013 Miro Pinot Noir. One of my favorites.

IMG_20160223_184758.jpg

2013 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Indian Wells

Nothing to write home about.

IMG_20160804_203011.jpg

LR Sauvignon Blanc Rose. Needs some time to settle out, but its good. A little sorbate and just a touch of 'rough'. Enjoyable, but I know that this time next year it'll be excellent. I'll limit myself to 6 or so bottles this summer/fall.

LR Sauvignon Blanc Rose. Needs some time to settle out, but its good. A little sorbate and just a touch of 'rough'. Enjoyable, but I know that this time next year it'll be excellent. I'll limit myself to 6 or so bottles this summer/fall.

When I bottled I also tasted that sorbate, also hoping to go away with time; haven't touched mine since.

Latest posts

Back