What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, that sounds heavenly.

I made a corned beef brisket sous vide, but I used a twist. I dried off the beef with paper towels, then browned it on all sides before the sous vide cooking. About 4 minutes/side in animal fat on med. high heat. Then sous vide at 171F for 16 hours.

The result was quite nice. Very flavorful, and a wonderful texture. Plus, the fat cap was somewhat, but not entirely, rendered by the browning. Delish.

This was served with a creamed spinach+parnsips casserole, and roasted potato slices and roast fennel wedges. Oh, yes, and an avocado salad to start off, with pumpkin seed oil, soy sauce, and sriracha. Washed all of this down with a Napa rosé (Toad Hollow) and a Cali Pinot Gris (Kendall Jackson).

My Stifado (Greek chicken stew) recipe.

Sauteed chicken strips with garlic powder, salt and pepper, cut up. sauteed onions, artichoke heart quarters, on cup of quinoa, teaspoon of lemon zest, juice of one lemon, celery seeds, garbanza beans and covered with chicken stock.

along with some Pinot Grigio I made from concentrate.

It was good.

I love tri-tip. Unfortunately it is hard to come by in central Ohio. That one looks pretty much perfect.

It's not exactly plentiful here either. Trader Joes is only a couple miles from the house, but I've never really liked theirs - seems chewy for some reason. Wegman's sells them, but they want $11.99/lb for Angus TT. I just recently realized that the Giant near our house carries Angus TT at $6.99. There are two other Giants nearby that don't for some reason. :?

Jim, that sounds heavenly.

I made a corned beef brisket sous vide, but I used a twist. I dried off the beef with paper towels, then browned it on all sides before the sous vide cooking. About 4 minutes/side in animal fat on med. high heat. Then sous vide at 171F for 16 hours.

Just yesterday, I read a post on the The Virtual Weber Bullet where a guy took a 4lb Tbone, seared it first, then sealed it and brought it to 130F in the SV. It looked absolutely amazing.

Just finished a huge bowl of duck and smoked venison gumbo, game harvested from my property this past season. I can take credit for the ducks and deer, but my lovely wife is responsible for the creation. That Cajun can cook!!!!

Wow! I love Cajun food!

After reading this, and after I stopped drooling, I just could not take another bite of my PBJ sandwich or another spoon of my canned chicken soup. You made me realize that it was not a dinner fit for a 53 year old wine snob!

Too bad you didn't post a pic!

Make a friend out of the butcher! Spend some time getting to know them, have them cut you some steaks that are on sale to your desired thickness, then leave them a glowing review on the stores customer feedback site. That worked for me and the butcher at my local Smith's (Kroger) now always has a smile and the time to find me the best cut of meat. Win/Win! :db

It's not exactly plentiful here either. Trader Joes is only a couple miles from the house, but I've never really liked theirs - seems chewy for some reason. Wegman's sells them, but they want $11.99/lb for Angus TT. I just recently realized that the Giant near our house carries Angus TT at $6.99. There are two other Giants nearby that don't for some reason. :?

Wow! I love Cajun food!

After reading this, and after I stopped drooling, I just could not take another bite of my PBJ sandwich or another spoon of my canned chicken soup. You made me realize that it was not a dinner fit for a 53 year old wine snob!

Too bad you didn't post a pic!

JohnT:
I apologize for ruining your dinner, mine was quite good!. As for the pic, my wife pretty much already thinks I've completely lost touch with reality, as the carboys keep multiplying, barrels have made an appearance, and new wines keep showing up. I'm afraid that taking a picture of dinner to post on the wine forum might just send her over the edge!

I will, however, commit to post a picture of dinner Saturday evening, as we're having our first crawfish boil of the season, been craving for a few weeks now and just can't wait any longer...........

JohnT:
I apologize for ruining your dinner, mine was quite good!. As for the pic, my wife pretty much already thinks I've completely lost touch with reality, as the carboys keep multiplying, barrels have made an appearance, and new wines keep showing up. I'm afraid that taking a picture of dinner to post on the wine forum might just send her over the edge!

I will, however, commit to post a picture of dinner Saturday evening, as we're having our first crawfish boil of the season, been craving for a few weeks now and just can't wait any longer...........

ooooooh man! Crawfish!

There is nothing I wouldn't do for real, fresh, crawfish! All we get up here is that frozen garbage that has been sitting around since last year..

Man.. Crawfish...

I would crawl on my hands and knees through ground glass just for a single tail. I would lick Rosie O'Donnell's arm pit after she has taken a sauna for just a handful!

Why, I would even chug a glass of Welch's for a full plateful!

Definitely! I want pictures!!!!!

Just yesterday, I read a post on the The Virtual Weber Bullet where a guy took a 4lb Tbone, seared it first, then sealed it and brought it to 130F in the SV. It looked absolutely amazing.

My "rule" for whether to sear before or after sous vide-ing used to be that I would only sear beforehand those cuts that I would normally sear before conventional cooking, e.g., lamb shanks or short ribs. Everything else (steaks, chops, roasts, etc.) would get seared after SV, just before serving.

However, I may be coming around to your friend's point of view. One problem with searing after SV is that the meat is a bit wet after SV. (This is from moisture loss during cooking -- see Harold McGee.) This wetness makes the sear difficult; it is not impossible, by any means, but the character of the browning is slightly different than "normal" browned meat. I think I am going to have to give your friend's method a try!

Last edited by a moderator:
ooooooh man! Crawfish!

There is nothing I wouldn't do for real, fresh, crawfish! All we get up here is that frozen garbage that has been sitting around since last year..

Man.. Crawfish...

I would crawl on my hands and knees through ground glass just for a single tail. I would lick Rosie O'Donnell's arm pit after she has taken a sauna for just a handful!

Why, I would even chug a glass of Welch's for a full plateful!

Definitely! I want pictures!!!!!

Wow!! That's quite and endorsement for the little mud critters. I have to say though, you're going a bit too far with the Rosie O'Donnell arm pit thing, not even my crawfish could overcome that taste bud damage!!

If you ever get down this way, look me up, we'll eat some crawfish and indulge in some serious wine snobbery.

My "rule" for whether to sear before or after sous vide-ing used to be that I would only sear beforehand those cuts that I would normally sear before conventional cooking, e.g., lamb shanks or short ribs. Everything else (steaks, chops, roasts, etc.) would get seared after SV, just before serving.

However, I may be coming around to your friend's point of view. One problem with searing after SV is that the meat is a bit wet after SV. (This is from moisture loss during cooking -- see Harold McGee.) This wetness makes the sear difficult; it is not impossible, by any means, but the character of the browning is slightly different than "normal" browned meat. I think I am going to have to give your friend's method a try!

Here, check out the pics. But not if you're hungry!

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?64271-SousVide-first-attempt-I-love-it-!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pics look delish Jim, however too rare for me, I like it well done...:sh

You are just buying time so that you can move those carboys out of sight so they don't show up in the picture...

Crawdad's sound like an idea. I'll have to email my brother and see where he always orders them from. My kids love them (though they have races with a few while they are waiting for the first few batches to get ready. Told them not to exercise them too much, makes them tough).

Edit: He orders his from canjungrocer.com (1-888-CRAWFISH) - they are very good!

Last edited:
Crawdad's sound like an idea. I'll have to email my brother and see where he always orders them from. My kids love them (though they have races with a few while they are waiting for the first few batches to get ready. Told them not to exercise them too much, makes them tough).

"Kids!! I have told you a thousand times not to play with your food!"

Latest posts

Back