What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Detroit-style pizza sets itself apart from Sicilian pizza with its cheese-covered crust, which is typically so crispy that the cheese is slightly burnt, and its long, vertical streaks of sauce on top of the cheese. The result of this unique pizza style is a gooey, doughy center with a crunchy outer crust and caramelized cheese hugging its edges."

Edit: Mike, what's the difference between a sicilian and a detroit style, or is it the same type made in a different region?

"Detroit-style pizza sets itself apart from Sicilian pizza with its cheese-covered crust, which is typically so crispy that the cheese is slightly burnt, and its long, vertical streaks of sauce on top of the cheese. The result of this unique pizza style is a gooey, doughy center with a crunchy outer crust and caramelized cheese hugging its edges."
Thank you for that. I'm still researching, and getting hungrier by the minute.

Also the sauce is always added to the pie after it comes out of the oven (Detroit style). Not cooked with the pie at all. Supposed to make the crust more true bread like and no chance for a soggy pie crust in any way.

So I got the right pan, it's square!

A squirrel finds a buried nut every now and then...

Also the sauce is always added to the pie after it comes out of the oven (Detroit style). Not cooked with the pie at all. Supposed to make the crust more true bread like and no chance for a soggy pie crust in any way.
I've seen that most of the NY style pies use a small amount of sauce on a precooked crust, then cheese and more sauce added on top for the last 5 minutes or so.

Then some precook the crust, cool, add all the sauce, then cheese for the last couple of minutes.

Sounds like the wild west, do what you want to do, lol.

Sicilian = Square Pie

Detroit = Rectangular Pie

If that makes any sense!
Not to nitpick, Mike, but a square is a rectangle, just a special case where the sides are of equal length. So, I suppose one could say all Sicilian pies are Detroit pies, but not all Detroit pies are Sicilian pies. I won't even get into round or oval shaped pies.

When my mom made pizza at home, long, long ago, the pie was free form, looking like a huge amoeba. This was like it was made in Campania, where pizza originated and consisted of the bread, canned tomatoes, chunks of garlic, oregano and anchovies (and occasionally black olives). The only cheese on the pizza was Parmesan, no mozzarella. It was great and even better the next day when we would warm it in a frying pan with a little olive oil, just enough to soften the bread. Great memories.

Go for St. Louis style: The ultra thin crust of St. Louis-style pie is made with unleavened, yeast-free dough, giving it a texture that is more akin to a cracker than traditional pizza crust. The crispy crust is capable of supporting a whole lot of toppings, and that’s a good thing since they like to pile the toppings high in The Gateway City. Then topped with provel cheese. A processed blend that is said to be a mix of cheddar, provolone, and Swiss cheeses, yet tastes unlike any one cheese in that trio. Designed to melt better than any one of the three component cheeses.

When my mom made pizza at home, long, long ago, the pie was free form, looking like a huge amoeba. This was like it was made in Campania, where pizza originated and consisted of the bread, canned tomatoes, chunks of garlic, oregano and anchovies (and occasionally black olives). The only cheese on the pizza was Parmesan, no mozzarella. It was great and even better the next day when we would warm it in a frying pan with a little olive oil, just enough to soften the bread. Great memories.
One of my mentors was of Italian extraction, and his wife made pizza like this. They canned their own tomatoes, and she made a HUGE pie. She'd pour a quart of pureed tomato on the crust, and each jar contained a whole basil plant that would spread out. Salt, pepper, a bit of oregano, and shaved Parmesan. Excellent food, washed down with heavy duty red wine.

Last edited:
Green bean casserole with blue goat cheese and cream; roasted purple artichokes; sauteed spinach with lots of EVOO and vitamin G; roasted eggplant "breaded" with almond flour and parm; loin pork chops, seared, then braised with mushrooms and sherry (and thyme, soy sauce, and garlic).

IMG_3273.JPGIMG_3274.JPG

Deciding to not do pizza this weekend, I think it's been about 5 weeks in a row. So opened the avenue for some pasta. Simple ragu with some ground chuck. Haven't had traditional sgetti's for a while. Easy to make, good to eat. Nice red wine as an accompaniment. Served with garlic bread and a salad (salad not pictured, didn't sample the laptop).

3-17-22_ragu.jpg

Some ground chicken taco meat made into nachos. Had a batch of cooked salsa I made the other night that went unnoticed by the kids, so dressed the nachos with some of that, some cheese and some taco sauce. Nice and spicy!

Thanks to NM Mike for the authentic NM chile powder, the gift that keeps on giving! I'm getting into the hotter powder, the family made me use up all the mild stuff first, oh darn (more food for me now)! My forehead has a sunburned looking tinge with some sweat, perfect amount applied.

3-18-22_nachos.jpg

Jumped on the scale at the doctors office last week when taking my son for a covid test (he had the flu, no covid). I think it must not be calibrated since it read about 15 lbs higher than I thought my current weight was fully dressed. So I tried the experiment at home and came up with the same result. Trying to remember what I was eating when I was stuck at home only working 20 hours a week in the beginning of the pandemic when I lost a good deal of weight. The following was my go to lunch, a salad (hydroponically grown romaine lettuce) with some grilled tuna. Yum!

3-20-22_tuna-salad.jpg

Latest posts

Back