What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting article about what is currently going on in the meat processing industry in regards to Brisket (its going to go sky high in price if you can find it al all). Many BBQ joints may switch to smoking standing rib roast instead.
That's so sad. Guess I'll have to disappoint the wife, as well as myself. Maybe that whole brisket for $50 is a bargain. I'm going foraging tomorrow after work (ha) and it is early enough that the tagged items with a mark down are usually still there. I'll have to talk with her and see what she thinks. Maybe I'll have to fork out the $55 to renew my BJs membership.

Had some left over pasta from the other night, so had to find something to pair with it. Had a little bacon grease that I didn't feed to my bird population, so mixed in a little canola oil and fried up some GF chicken for chicken parm. I think staying home is creating a monster, burgers and fries don't cut it anymore.

5-11-20_chicken-parm.jpg

Sauce is a jar and a half of DeLallo Passata Rustica Tomato Purée (24 oz jar) with some Cento Italian herb mix not cooked when added. My brother and I are experimenting with pizza sauces and this is one of the bases we have been trying. Rough cut mozzarella on top, will add more when it comes out of the oven. No garlic bread allowed since my wife and I are trying to reduce our carb intake (argh).

Very interesting article about what is currently going on in the meat processing industry in regards to Brisket (its going to go sky high in price if you can find it al all). Many BBQ joints may switch to smoking standing rib roast instead.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/wh...ail&utm_term=0_92f99d7313-d11291f579-53279471

I went to Costco yesterday and the meat shelf area was basically empty, people panic too much and start piling up. And yes I understand news may influence some, but no need to rush to the stores and get more of what one needs.
I'd want to buy 1 piece of brisket, hope to get it this week.

I went to Costco yesterday and the meat shelf area was basically empty, people panic too much and start piling up. And yes I understand news may influence some, but no need to rush to the stores and get more of what one needs.
I'd want to buy 1 piece of brisket, hope to get it this week.
I'll be curious tomorrow if our local Giant store has any, they had 10 or so of them last time I was there late last week.

I have a good relationship with the meat department at that store and the manager will lay one aside if I ask him. Always be nice to the meat dept manager, it pays dividends!

I'll be headed to Wegman's tomorrow for my weekly trip. I was last there on Friday to grab some flowers for the Mrs while she was out of the house and at least then, the meat department was still pretty full.

Tonight, we're having Instant Pot Cashew Chicken (no cashews, so I'm using peanuts). Skipping the rice and making some sesame soba noodles.

Here are the noodles we had. Recipe for the chicken below - I doubled the sauce and can't imagine doing it without doubling. I realize I'm mixing up my Asian foods, but this worked really well. We devoured a ton of both chicken and noodles. Time for a food coma/nap.

https://www.foodiecrush.com/sesame-soba-noodles/
Crock Pot Cashew Chicken
This is better than most Chinese takeout cashew chicken. Throw it all in the slow cooker and have a delicious, no fuss dinner!

Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thigh tenders or chicken breast tenders
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup cashews

Directions:
Combine flour and pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side.
Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken. Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice.
If you like sauce and want to have some to pour over the chicken and the rice, double the sauce ingredients.
Makes 4-6 servings.E01CD4DA-8CFF-4D2D-83EE-193E94BBD797.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice grilling day today, a bit windy, but that seems to be standard now days. Looked through the freezer this morning, saw a rack of St Louis style ribs, had bought as a buy one get one free sale back in early February. Figured it was getting close to being in the freezer too long so pulled them out, filled the sink with some water and thawed them (only took about an hour). Basic salt/pepper/smoked paprika, then added some chili powder and mango habanero rub to half for the "boys" in the family. Smoke cooked on the weber using the snake method. Hung around 250* for most of the cook. Wrapped about an hour before taking off the grill, and boy they were good! Hadn't had ribs for a while, there is nothing like the flavor of rendered pork fat!

Image just before wrapping. Looks like I glazed them but I didn't. That's all porky fat goodness right there.

5-12-20_ribs.jpg

Nice grilling day today, a bit windy, but that seems to be standard now days. Looked through the freezer this morning, saw a rack of St Louis style ribs, had bought as a buy one get one free sale back in early February. Figured it was getting close to being in the freezer too long so pulled them out, filled the sink with some water and thawed them (only took about an hour). Basic salt/pepper/smoked paprika, then added some chili powder and mango habanero rub to half for the "boys" in the family. Smoke cooked on the weber using the snake method. Hung around 250* for most of the cook. Wrapped about an hour before taking off the grill, and boy they were good! Hadn't had ribs for a while, there is nothing like the flavor of rendered pork fat!

Image just before wrapping. Looks like I glazed them but I didn't. That's all porky fat goodness right there.

View attachment 61085

1589328731267.png

Same ribs for me too 😊

Much like Jim's Homer, I involuntarily salivated at those rib pics.

What's for lunch? Grilled Mahi Mahi tacos. Rubbed, cooked directly over the charcoal for a few minutes, moved back to the foil (had removed skin from fillet chunks so they weren't holding together real well. Served mine with lettuce, diced jalapeno, sour cream, cherry tomatoes and some chipotle taco sauce. Really hit the spot on a beautiful Spring day in Central PA!

5-13-20_fish-tacos-1.jpg

5-13-20_fish-tacos-2.jpg

Went to the local Weis Market to forage for food this morning. Top Round London Broil for $3.99/lb (one per day per customer), turkey tenderloins for $1.99/lb, Frozen mahi mahi for $4.99/lb, tuna steaks were 4 for $12 (little pricey but that was what I was hankering for). Black Forest Weiners (really big hot dogs) normally $6.99 for 5 were on sale for $3.99 (end of July expiration date). They had a little of everything, only shortage was TP and paper towels. Even got some whole wheat flour!

Rubbed the tuna with smoke paprika, cayenne pepper, freshly mauled black pepper, kosher salt and some olive oil to make it stick. My Son picked the thicker fillet of the two and it had a nice pink hue to it, mine was pretty well done, but I knew I was chunking it for a salad. Went really well with some greek dressing and a blue soda.

5-14-20_tuna-1.jpg

5-14-20_tuna-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back