What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, is that a skirt steak or a flank steak? Can one use other cuts?

That's a flank. Normally, I think you should use skirt, but I've even seen recipes that call for ribeye.

I was all set to simply use Frontera's store bought marinade (pictured below). I'd never used it before, but we like their taco and enchilada sauces, so I figured this would be good. When I opened it, it just smelled like Italian salad dressing, and I was a little disappointed. So I added a little cider vinegar, Worcestershire, lime juice, orange juice, minced garlic, sliced onions, cumin, chili powder and black pepper (and obviously, a few orange slices). Reserved about 1/3 of the marinade. The steak soaked in the fridge for about 8 hours. When grilling, I basted a few times per side with the reserved marinade. Very happy with how it came out.

1589545075263.png

Last edited:
How about a thick top round, or is it too thick? Was going to make Steak Siciliano tonight, depending on the T-storm timing, but what you made looks way yummier!

Could work. I'd just give it more time in the marinade and slice thinly.

Marinate made, in fridge so it should get about 7 hours of marination time. Here is what I used because I had all the ingredients:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/carne-asada-3832297

Sounds good. I'd be tempted to boil that marinade when you're done, then use it for basting (unless you made extra and set some aside). Beneath that recipe was a link to this, which also sounds very good, although in a completely different 'genre'.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/shrimp-scampi-tetrazzini-8023064

You guys are making me hungry (no breakfast yet and ate at 6pm last evening)....so heading to Costco to see what's available, hope to get a brisket for next week.

You guys are making me hungry (no breakfast yet and ate at 6pm last evening)....so heading to Costco to see what's available, hope to get a brisket for next week.
Haven't you ever heard to not shop when hungry? I bet you come home with double what you would have purchased when not hungry!

Just send the extras to us...

Has anyone started a brisket inside an oven and then move into charcoal grill? I am just wondering if bark will form properly.
Just thinking out loud, say start late at night inside the electric oven just for the overnight cooking hours and then half way through got to charcoal grill when inside temp is in the 120F or so.

Haven't you ever heard to not shop when hungry? I bet you come home with double what you would have purchased when not hungry!

Just send the extras to us...

Lol, yep.
My daughter just took some frozen yuca our of freezer and we boiled, then some eggs, cheese and a glass of warm milk with protein powder.
Hungry no more! But heading to Costco just to check what's out there.

One of the nice side benefits of working from home is on a nice day like this (78 and still climbing, we haven't had a day in the 80s since February I think) is you can make a more interesting lunch other than leftovers toted to work. Johnsonville Hot Italian sausages on charcoal. Served with some diced onions and jalapenos. My Son loves sausages, so he's in heaven. Just have to watch his blood sugars since the fats in these will eventually be converted into sugar. At 21g a piece, I think I ate healthier the last few days.

5-15-20_italian_sausage-1.jpg

5-15-20_italian_sausage-2.jpg

yum.!!

Just came back from Costco (have to blame you guys...lol) and ended up buying a package of beef inside skirts, beef loin top sirloin and a pork shoulder/butt which has 2 pieces (you know Costco, buy big or go home).

Pork shoulder may be in the thinking for tomorrow (is it about 8 hours on the grill? I forgot, need to check YouTube..!!)

yum.!!

Just came back from Costco (have to blame you guys...lol) and ended up buying a package of beef inside skirts, beef loin top sirloin and a pork shoulder/butt which has 2 pieces (you know Costco, buy big or go home).

Pork shoulder may be in the thinking for tomorrow (is it about 8 hours on the grill? I forgot, need to check YouTube..!!)

Inside skirt, eh? Sounds like it's time for some Carne Asada!!

Question for you pros about pork butt/shoulder....
I'm thinking about giving it a bit of a sweetness flavor towards the end, not exactly just BBQ sauce, but maybe some honey and brown sugar flavor.
Wondering if my last spray, before I wrap it, would be a good time to go a bit heavy with a liquid solution of apple sauce, brown sugar and honey?

Or just glace it with honey/sugar?

Latest posts

Back