What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to normal, pizza night tonight. But just for fun, since someone was mentioning stromboli today at work, I decided it was time for a boli. I use my normal pizza dough recipe, but I only made one dough last night, so had to get one going quickly upon getting home from work. It actually behaved pretty well for a 75 minute old dough (I proof it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so, then bring it out to accelerate rising - CCR Bad Moon Rising starts getting louder in the background as it warms up). Two types of salami, two types of ham and some swiss cheese. Youngest daughter who doesn't really care for pizza will eat at least half of this at dinner time (she might weigh 65 lbs?)!

FYI: cheap charcoal, again, at Lowe's - I think $9.99 for 2 x 18.5 lbs of Kingsford, and $8.99 for two Royal Oak bags, just don't know the weight of the bags.

6-16-17_boli.JPG

Last edited:
And last nights dinner out and about in Santa Fe celebrating our BFF's 32nd wedding anniversary. Baked Halibut served over risotto. Paired well with a La Crema Pinot Noir. We had one chicken, one fish and two steak orders so PN was about the best thing that would (sorta) work with everything. LOL

IMG_2299.jpg

Prepped and the Pit Boss is coming "online"......

Brisket is using the "secret" Franklin's BBQ rub out of Austin......

Pork Butt is using a KC Style rub with lots of mustard (dry).....

Brisket on first, Butt a little later in the AM.

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

Mike: I take it you still approve of the Pit Boss? My brother-in-law has really been eyeing an Egg, but asked me about these the other day.

Halfway through the brisket cook time. Just hit 165 internal and wrapped him in foil to bring it up to ~200F. Pulled Pork should hit 165 in about an hour or so and he will get the same treatment. I will then pull them off and let sit wrapped in a heavily insulated styrofoam ice chest to rest until dinnertime.

We are so hot today. ABQ will hit 102F, we are supposed to hit ~97F I don't think I will need any more wood. The sun will keep this guy at ~225-250 easily all by itself. I started with a nice stack of lump charcoal and then a nice stick of seasoned apple and a nice stick of seasoned pecan wood.

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

I love mine. Like any grill/smoker the more you use it the more you get to know what it needs. The one in Costco this year is slightly different from mine. They are throwing in a really nice pizza stone or heat deflector (fire) but they put on cheap slatted fake wood fold down side arms. Mine came with real wood of sorts but I did not get the pizza stone. I think this would make a killer wood fired pizza except you can't see the pie while its cooking.

This is not a ginormous smoker. The lower grill area is lost to my water pan. If you try and use that to grill/smoke you better be careful as its close to the heat. I have 16lbs of meat on today and it is handling that easily. I have done ribs and pulled pork as well. You can get more ribs if you buy a rib rack and stand then on end. It holds/maintains the temp really steady. It's well made.

I still have an offset smoker I got like 15 years ago for fathers day on the side of the house with a cover on it.That will cook a whole pig I think but it is tricky to maintain the heat. Seems like I was always opening and shutting things to dial up or down the temp.

The BGE is much more thermally insulated. Just set it and forget it! LOL

Mike: I take it you still approve of the Pit Boss? My brother-in-law has really been eyeing an Egg, but asked me about these the other day.

Never got a chance to smoke anything on vacation since the weather was so variable. Looking back most days I could have pulled off cooking a few racks of ribs, etc, but I settled for things on the propane grill, which worked out fine and left me more time to do "projects" and drink beer and wine.

Today started off with a shower, but since has warmed up quite a bit, so I started up the Weber Bullet and put a bone-in turkey breast on an hour or so ago. Normally I'd let the temp hang around 375*F, but pushed it up since this breast had been frozen and not sure it thawed the whole way though. Couple of hand fulls of pecan chips at the start, rubbed it with a homemade GF fajita rub that all the kids like. Will probably have a bunch of leftovers since the older two are working tonight (older one training the younger one, could be interesting, we'll see if they are talking to each other when they get home). Planning on an eye round roast beast tomorrow on the grill, would still like to empty the garage and clean it properly, but the weather is very unpredictable this weekend.

Edit: Turkey was well received (even the youngest hot dog fanatic enjoyed it, asked for seconds).

6-17-17_turkey-1.JPG

6-17-17_turkey-2.JPG

6-17-17_turkey-3.JPG

Last edited:
And the Brisket is........ to die for! :sm

Pulled it off the Pit Boss after 6 hours (wrapped) and stuck it into the styrofoam chest where it basically slow cooked for another 2 hours. When I pulled the lid, the heat came up and hit me in the face. This is hands down the best brisket I have ever cooked. When you stick a fork in it to pick it up and it starts to fall apart..... you have a moist and tender brisket. The rub is perfect. Thank you Franklin's!

IMG_2312.jpg

Hodge podge tonight, but a good one. I made up some beer marinated skirt steaks and chicken, along with two salads: one a mango, avocado, black bean salad with quinoa and another shrimp summer salad. My sis brought some fried chicken from a local place that is outstanding.

Detox-Chopped-Salad-1-2-600x900.jpg

mango-black-bean-quinoa-salad-1-768x1152.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

And the pulled pork is finished resting! OMG Winner winner pulled pork dinner! Nice bark. Moist and tender. Only taking (a few) samples tonight! This is the main show for Father's day mañana! :db

IMG_2313.jpg

If the 'delete' function were still available, I'd have deleted this post. Instead, I have to make this stupid edit.

Last edited:
Updated with some finished pics. Ribs turned out awesome, although about an hour earlier than expected. Good thing I was pairing with leftover sides, so they were ready. A fine finish to a fine day.

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

Found a cheap eye round roast yesterday at the local Giant, coated it with kosher salt, garlic and fresh rosemary and left it to marinate in it's juices for a day. Used a method that employs a lasagna type aluminum pan with holes in the bottom to deflect the heat of the grill and allow for more even cooking (cooked at 300*F for ~ 50 minutes). Aimed for medium, and that's about what I got. Very tender and flavorful with a bit of garlic and rosemary in each bite. Served with some sweet corn and twiced baked taters that my wife made. Excellent meal for an excellent Sunday. Some days it's just good to be alive!

Edit: Jim, I feel full just looking at your last image!

6-18-17_roast-1.JPG

6-18-17_roast-2.JPG

6-18-17_roast-3.JPG

Last edited:
Found a cheap eye round roast yesterday at the local Giant, coated it with kosher salt, garlic and fresh rosemary and left it to marinate in it's juices for a day. Used a method that employs a lasagna type aluminum pan with holes in the bottom to deflect the heat of the grill and allow for more even cooking (cooked at 300*F for ~ 50 minutes). Aimed for medium, and that's about what I got. Very tender and flavorful with a bit of garlic and rosemary in each bite. Served with some sweet corn and twiced baked taters that my wife made. Excellent meal for an excellent Sunday. Some days it's just good to be alive!

You nailed it!

Latest posts

Back