What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a tad better on dinner last night. We were out for my son's end-of-season baseball party at a local pizza joint. I had a cheesesteak and a Sam Adams. :i

Kinda, sorta made up for the recent lack of decent meals tonight. Total indulgence at Costco this afternoon with the purchase of some Prime Ribeye Cap Steaks. This is the outside portion of a ribeye roast (the best part, IMHO) taken off, rolled, tied and cut into steaks. It's pretty decadent. I got a pack of 4 and cooked the smallest for myself, along with some chicken for the wife and oldest. Youngest not feeling well, so I made him some egg drop soup. Didn't do much to pair with this steak - tots and some cut up fresh veg - very simple, so the steak spoke for itself. Because it was about 1.5 inches thick, I threw it in the sous vide for about 45 minutes at 130F - not to tenderize it, but just to make sure I had it cooked through nicely before a quick sear on the new Weber. Fired that puppy up to a little better than 600 degrees and put some sear marks on it. Chicken done w/ a basic BBQ rub that I used on some pulled pork not long ago. No fancy sides or plated pic, but this was simply a really enjoyable steak. The remaining 3 are much bigger - may need help with them. Got 'em in Foodsaver bags, so I'll try to save them for special occasions.

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

IMG_5386.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

Total indulgence at Costco this afternoon with the purchase of some Prime Ribeye Cap Steaks.

OMG, there are.... there are..... sniff sniff... <choke> .... <sniff>... there are no words! That is the most <cough... sniff> the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. :HB

Well, I was all set to brag about my dinner tonight, but SOMEONE (<cough> boatboy <cough>) completely and utterly stole my thunder. I found a grass-fed ribeye steak on sale. To go with it, I made a brown rice salad with soy/balsamic/sesame oil dressing, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and chives. I fired up the Weber to smoking hot, and fast-cooked green beans in EVOO with marjoram on a perforated metal plate on the grill. For the star of the show, I dry-brined the ribeye, then seasoned with paprika, chipotle, garlic, etc., then seared on a super-hot grill for ~3'/side. My little, minuscule, bitty, petite scrap of the cap muscle (i.e., the spinalis muscle) (compared to Jim's humungous hunk of meat) was delectable bordering on orgasmic. The rest of the steak, i.e., the same muscle (the longissimus) that is in a NY strip steak, was very tasty, too, but not in the same league!

Southwestern beer marinated flank steak; quinoa, mango, avocado salad and sous vide corn on the cob (finished on the grill for some color) with a chile-lime-cilantro compound butter.

Well, this is what's for lunch. I was going to fry up one of my usual egg dishes, but it is so dang hot here today. Ahh! I got it! A Niçoise salad. Various lettuces, olives, capers, cubes of salami, grilled green beans, feta cheese, dressing, and, "oeuf" course, two poached eggs.

nicoise.jpg

A meal that I forgot to pack last week for vacation, London Broil. This one was about three pounds and very thick. So after cooking burgers and dogs for our Pastor's farewell picnic, I was primed to do a good job on this thick LB. Hit medium, which is about what everyone will accept (boys like rare, girls like well done). There were some nice pink pieces and some nice gray pieces, so everyone was happy. Served with sweet corn on the cob and nothing else (everyone was still somewhat full from the big lunch they had). This is an image of what was left (one kid MIA swimming). The excess juice is because my wife was in a hurry and it didn't rest the prescribed 10 minutes that I usually allow.

6-11-17_London-broil.JPG

Had some friends over again. Did a bunch of chicken thighs 'roadside' style (best chicken ever), along with a handful of boneless breasts, burgers and hot dogs. Good stuff and the new grill is certainly being put through its paces.

Tonight was a marinated grilled chicken salad. Lemon/lime vinaigrette with fresh sweet corn. The strips were cooked on the grill in a cast iron skillet surrounded by marinated thighs.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1497227767.359581.jpg

Had some friends over again. Did a bunch of chicken thighs 'roadside' style (best chicken ever), along with a handful of boneless breasts, burgers and hot dogs. Good stuff and the new grill is certainly being put through its paces.

What's roadside style?

Well, I once again came into those lamb rib chops that are priced like shoulder chops. Now that summer is finally upon us, I was able to throw them on a smoking hot Weber.

I had some of that leftover brown rice/mushroom/onion/soy/sesame salad that I made the other night. Then I steamed artichoke halves until tender, then finished on a hot grill. Finally, the above-mentioned lamb. I dry-brined it, then seasoned with coriander, cumin, garlic, cardamom, and chipotle. Cooked on hottest grill I could for 3'/side. This was just a little too done, just this side of perfect. It was, in any event, heavenly.

Last edited:
What's roadside style?

Here's the recipe. When I make it, I make up two batches of the sauce: one with no oil that I use to marinade the chicken - two to four hours for boneless, 4-8 for bone-in. The batch with the oil, I put into an empty 'shaker top' Worcestershire sauce bottle and shake onto the chicken every 5 minutes or so during cooking. If I don't have a bottle handy, I just brush it on. Repeated basting/shaking builds up layers of flavor. This chicken is always a winner and always has folks asking for more. Just have a 'safe zone' ready on your grill with no direct heat so you can move the chicken if/when you have flare-ups.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken

Last edited:
Here's the recipe. When I make it, I make up two batches of the sauce: one with no oil that I use to marinade the chicken - two to four hours for boneless, 4-8 for bone-in. The batch with the oil, I put into an empty 'shaker top' Worcestershire sauce bottle and shake onto the chicken every 5 minutes or so during cooking. If I don't have a bottle handy, I just brush it on. Repeated basting/shaking builds up layers of flavor. This chicken is always a winner and always has folks asking for more. Just have a 'safe zone' ready on your grill with no direct heat so you can move the chicken if/when you have flare-ups.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken

Glad you replied. I thought it might be another name for roadkill. Thanks for the link. I'll be trying this soon.

The local grocery story had these large pasta bowls that I have been wanting, but felt they were too expensive. We have no nice pasta bowls or any large serving bowls to speak of.

Well, guess what?? The cut the price in half! As a result, dinner was decided. Spaghetti with sauce Bolognese! A little garlic bread to go with it.

IMG_20170604_180241035[1].jpg

IMG_20170604_190023993[1].jpg

Sangria for dinner? Why not!

View attachment 36916

1885d1ca9d1a4e78d6ad5da97577118b.jpg

Back