What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, where did you get jackfruit?

1rg85h.jpg

Today, I had an incredibly sane moment (they are rare). Okay, everyone does there ribs low and slow, I can't get my smoker to go that low and slow, or can I? I tested my thermometer today from my New Braunfels smoker after reading and using the boiling water test app on the Weber Bullet site. My word, it explains everything, my thermometer is so far off that I can't believe it (reading way high). Found another in the kitchen that is at least within 25*F, we'll see if it is off in a linear fashion, but I could never get my ribs done on time, now I know why, I've been cooking them low without giving enough time for them to get done. Will be shopping for a new smoker thermometer tonight if I don't drink too much this afternoon (or can get my oldest to chauffeur me to Hanover to a cooking place I know of). At least I've figured out I've been doing my ribs around 215*F for two hours, now I can bump it up to 230*F or so and get them done with time to spare (get it, spare ribs, spare time? yuck yuck yuck).

Edit: now running 240*F for the last almost couple of hours. Smells fantastic, just a bit of smoke from the pecan peaking out every now and then. Hoping this is my best rack for some time (other than my wife's).

Last edited:
Sorry, lost my head, forgot to take a picture before we dug in. Here's the leftovers, main dinner was well received, no one actually added any bbq sauce, which amazed me. The dry rub was a Powderpuff version from a Steven Raichlen's bbq bible rub and marinades book (page 25 if you have the book). Excellent end product. Ribs were perfect in my book (and the kids book too).

6-24-17_ribs-3.JPG

Wifey not feeling well, youngest has been at two birthday parties this afternoon and is full of pizza, burgers and cake. So it's me and the oldest. Hmm. What's in the freezer? A couple of individually wrapped, small Mahi-Mahi filets and some ribeye cap steaks. Kid loves fish tacos (so do I, but not in the mood) and I love steak. Thawing some fish on the counter, and a ribeye cap steak in the sous vide. I'll whip up some sauce for the kid, season the mahi-mahi with lime, chili powder and cumin and use a coffee/chile rub on my steak. Now the big question: gas or charcoal?

No brainer. You bought 15 bags on Memorial Day, time is a wastin'!

Is that one of those from Costco? If so it seems like it deserves some wood but if its just one steak I would not think less of you for pushing the easy (propane) button on that new Weber you stole..... :h

Went with charcoal. Haven't fired up the Performer since I got the Genesis and I think she was feeling a little neglected. :i

Oh, and it was spectacular.

No brainer. You bought 15 bags on Memorial Day, time is a wastin'!

Is that one of those from Costco? If so it seems like it deserves some wood but if its just one steak I would not think less of you for pushing the easy (propane) button on that new Weber you stole..... :h

Yep, those are from Costco. They are expensive, but insanely good. IIRC, it was 4 or 5 in a package, and I brought them home and sealed individually with the Foodsaver. Went with charcoal tonight. Haven't fired up the Performer since I got the Genesis and I think she was feeling a little neglected. :i I 'defrosted' in the sous vide at 128 for about 90 minutes before searing on the grill.

Oh, and it was spectacular.

Sorry for the multiple posts. I'm getting errors saying I can't post pictures, and there is no longer an option to delete your previous post. @TXBrew , this needs to be looked at.

Anyway, here's a pic of tonight's mixed grill. My ribeye cap steak w/ a coffee/pepper/brown sugar rub, along with 'skinny' chicken breast and mahi-mahi done with lime juice, s&p, cumin and chili powder for tacos.

IMG_5421.jpg

My lovely wife's chemo is kicking her butt, so she's in bed and I'm batching it. Fresh salad from the garden, no tomatoes yet tho:(, topped with grilled New York steak. Well, and a glass of 2007 Cab Sauv from my favorite local winery. Bloody hot on the deck tho::

Latest posts

Back