What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't normally do cheese on a fish taco, but it felt right tonight.

Hey, I live in Wisconsin. It is always the right time for cheese.

hero-cheese.png

Now its time for the power nap. Need to clean up first. It got hot today - 81 and humid. Shouldn't be having this weather in April.

Now its time for the power nap. Need to clean up first. It got hot today - 81 and humid. Shouldn't be having this weather in April.

Supposed to be even higher up here today, with upper 80s on Saturday. Will help me keep some of my weight loss intact. Might have to drink some additional fluids or I may waste away to nothin' :h

The first picture is of Shan tofu. This is a Burmese tofu made from chickpeas instead of soy. I lightly seasoned it with soy sauce and green onions. The second is a Thai green papaya salad.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1493428987.114754.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1493428997.798997.jpg

I was too drunk and tired to post this last night, but we had a guest over and we made a nice dinner for her.

I started with a reprisal of the amuse-gueule that I concocted on Easter: I took a scallop, seared it hard for 90 s per side, sliced it in half, put in a layer of caviar, put the top back on, covered with crushed pink peppercorns, placed it on a seared escarole leaf, then smothered it in a sauce of lemon, cream, and seafood stock.

For a vegetable, I made a spring vegetable salad, with asparagus, lima beans, mint, arugula, pistachios, and grated parmesan cheese, and covered this with a lemon/oil/shallot/tarragon dressing. I made "smashed potatoes," which is kind of like how you treat plantains in tostones. In this case, you quarter them, simmer them for 20 minutes, smash them ~1/4" flat with a mallet, then fry them until browned and crisped on the outside. For the meat, I took a ~1.5" thick tenderloin filet, then smashed it down to about 3/4" thick, and marinated it in olive oil, garlic, and thyme for a few hours. I then flash-cooked this on a smoking hot grill pan, then served with a chimichurri sauce.

I am not a dessert person, so DW scooped up some ice cream covered with berries in a sweetened sauce.

It was all very yummy! :db

Grilled steak (NY Strip for me & kids, a small filet for the Mrs.), corn on the cob, onion rings. Had much bigger plans, but today wore me out. Feeling tired and lazy.

I was too drunk and tired to post this last night, but we had a guest over and we made a nice dinner for her.

I started with a reprisal of the amuse-gueule that I concocted on Easter: I took a scallop, seared it hard for 90 s per side, sliced it in half, put in a layer of caviar, put the top back on, covered with crushed pink peppercorns, placed it on a seared escarole leaf, then smothered it in a sauce of lemon, cream, and seafood stock.

For a vegetable, I made a spring vegetable salad, with asparagus, lima beans, mint, arugula, pistachios, and grated parmesan cheese, and covered this with a lemon/oil/shallot/tarragon dressing. I made "smashed potatoes," which is kind of like how you treat plantains in tostones. In this case, you quarter them, simmer them for 20 minutes, smash them ~1/4" flat with a mallet, then fry them until browned and crisped on the outside. For the meat, I took a ~1.5" thick tenderloin filet, then smashed it down to about 3/4" thick, and marinated it in olive oil, garlic, and thyme for a few hours. I then flash-cooked this on a smoking hot grill pan, then served with a chimichurri sauce.

I am not a dessert person, so DW scooped up some ice cream covered with berries in a sweetened sauce.

It was all very yummy! :db

Oooh, I got some pictures!

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0044.jpg

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0052.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

Met up with some friends last Saturday.

I opened a bottle of 1998 Cuvaison Cabernet that I have been saving for 18 years or so. (Pic 1).

I was amaze by the cork and how dark it was. (pic 2)

It was soft and (for lack of a better word) yummy. Still had great color and good tannic structure still remained.

For dinner, we had BBQ B-Back ribs, 'tater salad, and some delicious and creamy mac and cheese. We were so hungry that we were half finished before I remembered to take a picture... (pic 3)

IMG_20170429_121059_862.jpg

IMG_20170429_121111_844.jpg

IMG_20170429_162936_306.jpg

Been dreaming of a burger all day. Had to race against the rains arrival, only got sprinkled on a bit. Nice beef burger with a double serving of bacon, cheddar cheese, mushrooms browned in european style butter, dill pickle, tomato slice and some lettuce on the bottom. Served on a nice fresh potato roll with some chips and an Oktoberfest, yum! Burrrrrp, time for a nap...

5-1-2017_burger.JPG

Burgers all around! DW is out of town (actually, out of the hemisphere), so a burger for me. It sounded good -- a couple of slices of ho-made bacon and some Cambozola cheese on a toasted bun, but I would trade it for Craig's in two burps flat.

Latest posts

Back