What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody else feel this way at times? :)

15250773_394776477580335_520384284995457090_o.jpg

We're dads. It's what we do.

Man! This was good! 80+ degrees today. Cut the lawn this evening, then cooked these up. With a little Sauvignon Blanc Rose it feels like summer tonight. Got some nice searing on both the chicken and fish and they were both cooked perfectly on the inside (If I do say so myself).

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5242.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3144.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

Too funny. I had sent Mrs. Sour Grapes a copy of this picture earlier today, and she kibbutzed that it was perfect.

Later, I was cooking dinner (detailed below the shirt). As I was cooking away, she was reading something, and she asked "Honey, what does b-i-c-a-m-e-r-a-l mean?" I responded with the definition of bicameral (having two houses of legislature, such as the Senate and the House) and expounded that, IIRC, all US states except Nebraska have a bicameral legislature; Nebraska is unicameral, etc. Then we looked at each other and laughed: It's what I do -- I cook, and I know things. :)

So, tonight's dinner was tilapia smothered in a mango chutney/salsa. I dusted the fish in flour, seared it hard in butter, then spooned on lots of a ho-made salsa with mango, shallots, lemon juice, cilantro, and hot Calabrian peppers. Served with potatoes tostones, i.e., potatoes first simmered, then smashed and fried. Also a simple salad with a ho-made tarragon dressing.

Then we looked at each other and laughed: It's what I do -- I cook, and I know things. :)

My Wife would like to rent you for her Chemistry final. I told her it would probably cost most of the red wine I have aging, plus the Viognier. She would be fine with the cost since she isn't into dry reds and doesn't "love" the Viognier.

Man! This was good! 80+ degrees today. Cut the lawn this evening, then cooked these up. With a little Sauvignon Blanc Rose it feels like summer tonight. Got some nice searing on both the chicken and fish and they were both cooked perfectly on the inside (If I do say so myself).

That looks REALLY yummy, and I see avocato in there :HB

If you throw in the Viognier, maybe you could hold out for @GreginND or Mike @ibglowin . :D

I figured you'd be here next week for the NFL draft in Philly. She'll take any mad scientist available, for chemistry that is. She prefers computer geeks for her husband.

On to more cooking related topics. Picked up, finally, something I can cook with on the stove top then stash it in a 170*F oven to cook all day (crock pot alternative). Our local Giant is pushing Lodge Enamel cookware that you can purchase at a reduced price (or even free for the smaller items). You earn "Lodge points" for every $10 you spend. Since the end of February, I've spent at least $10 x 130, since you needed 130 points + $24.99 for this round cast iron casserole. They were supposed to charge me the tax on the value ($129.99) but only did on the $24.99. So for a little over $26 I now have another kitchen tool at my disposal. Some vege chili for lunches is on the docket today. Might figure out an all day in the oven meal for tomorrow if this rain keeps up. Going to soon need some farm equipment to harvest my yard.

4-22-17_Lodge-enamel.JPG

On to more cooking related topics. Picked up, finally, something I can cook with on the stove top then stash it in a 170*F oven to cook all day (crock pot alternative). Our local Giant is pushing Lodge Enamel cookware.

I love an enameled cast-iron pot! I was lucky enough to find a Chantal dutch oven at a TJ Maxx or Marshall's (I forget which) for about $40. Much better than shelling out the big bucks for a Le Creu$et. I do like the looks of that Lodge one, too.

In my ignorance, I had never heard of Chantal. After buying the dutch oven, I looked into their product line. I wound up buying a small (1.7 qt) enameled steel saucepan at full price. This thing is heavy, and has a copper plate fused to the bottom, then everything is fully enameled. The enamel is totally non-stick and has held up fabulously.

835-162%20RE-01.jpg

I love an enameled cast-iron pot! ... This thing is heavy, and has a copper plate fused to the bottom, then everything is fully enameled. The enamel is totally non-stick and has held up fabulously.

I just love the fact I could stir the "trinity" with my wooden utensil and not move the pot around. Plus it browns things so nicely once it gets going. Just had to be careful not to turn the heat up too high since it is great at maintaining temperatures and takes quite a while to cool down.

Couple of images of it's virgin run. Still has an hour or so to cook to be done, but I'll probably cook it the rest of the afternoon for giggles, plus it makes the house smell so good!

Edit: Now about an hour later and I had some with blue tortilla chips, it was excellent. I did have a layer stuck to the bottom as I'm used to simmering at a higher temperature with my other pots. Lesson learned, but it didn't compromise the dish, for me at least. Note to self: not as much smoked paprika next time.

4-22-17_chili-1.JPG

4-22-17_chili-2.JPG

Last edited:
Craig: I know you have at least one gluten allergy in your household, but for making bread, the DO is great.

Yea, this one is going to remain GF. Might pick up one like you have in the link, I've seen them as low as $38 + shipping. My brother has an Amazon prime subscription, so I could order it through him and get the free shipping. I know the one I picked up today is a special "make" to be sold as an expensive DO/Casserole. I figure the one I have is probably worth around $40 tops, not $129, but heck, it works and it fills a need on the cheap. Also, it makes me happy, and that's why everyone is here on this earth, to make me happy, right?

Wifey's 49th b-day celebration, or rather 29th b-day celebration. In our household the honoree gets to choose the dinner, within reason. Since her b-day was Thursday and she had class, we deferred the event to today. She requested chicken of some sort and chocolate icing on her cake, rest was left to me. BBQ chicken on the grill, using my Mom's sauce recipe she picked up at Lackland AFB in the early 50's (1950's that is). Corn on the cob and a GF white cake with milk chocolate icing, that my 9 yr old daughter is applying. Rain held off for the cooking part, so no complaints on my end (for once).

4-22-17_dinner-2.JPG

4-22-17_dinner-3.JPG

4-22-17_dinner-1.JPG

First grilling of the season! I marinated a ribeye in soy/garlic/sesame oil/ginger/molasses. Then hit it on a HOT gril, 3.5 minutes per side. This was almost too much, it came out maybe medium rare. This was accompanied by wahine rice, and escarole with garlic braised in sherry.

Last edited:
Oldest daughter and SIL are headed back tomorrow so last night for a special home cooked meal (nobody eats at home in LA it seems) Snagged a NY Strip roast at Easter while they were on sale so onto the BGE it will go this afternoon. Seasoned with S&P and some Herbs de Provence. Gonna have some nice baked potatoes with all the fixings (also smoked on the BGE) and a nice wedge salad with home made bleu cheese dressing with tomato and bacon crumbles on top.

Film at 11:00..........

IMG_2129.jpg

Latest posts

Back