What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the flavor would be deeper and more complex if you used some PA canned mushrooms :h

Seriously though, I never have tried that dish on smashed taters...wonder if the kids would like that option better? I can cook it with the shooms but I have to remove them for all but my oldest daughter. Then we get double and triple servings of them, yum!

My first exposure to Chicken or Steak Marsala was at Carrabba's Italian Restaurant and they served it with garlic mashed potatoes. Awesome combination IMHO!

Its easy enough to make from scratch but I pushed the weekday easy button and used a chicken marsala simmer sauce (pre packaged) but I added a package of fresh shrooms into the mix when I got home from work, then simmered until they were done. Easy weeknight dinner!

Easy is a good thing. Plus degree of difficulty doesn't always make for better flavor. My oldest Son is serving dinner tomorrow night, so I seared the $3.29 pork bone-in sirloin roast (I think it was like 0.59 per lb off the back of the truck), which is sitting in foil in the garage at 25*F cooling. I'll toss it in the crock pot tomorrow morning with some apple cider vinegar, water and onions, plus some salt and pepper, and maybe some of my new favorite spice, smoked paprika. Easy peasy...he just has to get out two forks and pull it.

My first exposure to Chicken or Steak Marsala was at Carrabba's Italian Restaurant and they served it with garlic mashed potatoes. Awesome combination IMHO!

That was the first place I ever had marsala and liked it. Still don't know why I ordered it, but I'm glad I did. One of the things I love about theirs is that they grill the chicken, so you get a little hint of smoky grill-y goodness.

Chicken Marsala with fresh shrooms! Slow cooked in the crock pot, (there is some smashed potatoes in there somewhere. :)

Fresh spinach (pan steamed) with a little EVOO and balsamic vinegar on the side.

Looks nice and delicious, how's the grease, a bit greasy?
Need a recipe.

No grease, but lots of calories from things like..... BUTTER!

Recipe was posted long ago here:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47401&highlight=marsala

Easy Button here:

Campbells-Skillet-Sauces-Marsala-1.jpg

Looks nice and delicious, how's the grease, a bit greasy?
Need a recipe.

I need to find a good Marsala. The stuff you can buy at the grocery store is utter crap.

You guys got me thinking, which is dangerous, and wanting to play with some wine tonight, so I dropped by and picked up a bottle of dry Marsala at the State run Store, and applied it to tonight's pulled pork for fun.

Found a Pulled Pork Marsala Stroganoff recipe and followed it loosely:

http://www.bluebonnetbaker.com/2010/05/04/pulled-pork-marsala-stroganoff/

No crock pot time needed since it had already done that part during the day. Didn't use as much sour cream and could only find portabella mushrooms in the local Giant (fresh, not canned). Served it on farfalle shaped pasta. Has a really nice mushroom/garlic/marsala flavor to it, with a bit of rich sourness from the sour cream. Will be making a chicken version tomorrow in the crock pot so I'll have leftovers for work the rest of the week.

1-31-17_pork-marsala-stroganoff.jpg

Part two of the marsala experiment. Crockpot Chicken Marsala. Should probably add Stroganoff since I had some left over sour cream and could resist adding it just before serving it. Followed Mike's example and made a small bed of garlicy mashed taters. Had to take it out of the crock pot to heat on the stove to get the thickeners to thicken. Chicken was extremely tender and still plenty moist for non-bone in breasts. Glad I had some left over taters, already have tomorrows lunch ready, can't wait, might even skip breakfast...

2-1-17_chicken-marsala-1.jpg

2-1-17_chicken-marsala-2.jpg

2-1-17_chicken-marsala-3.jpg

So proud of you for walking past the center aisle where the nasty canned shrooms live and walked those 20 steps more to the fresh produce section! :sm

Part two of the marsala experiment. Crockpot Chicken Marsala. Should probably add Stroganoff since I had some left over sour cream and could resist adding it just before serving it. Followed Mike's example and made a small bed of garlicy mashed taters. Had to take it out of the crock pot to heat on the stove to get the thickeners to thicken. Chicken was extremely tender and still plenty moist for non-bone in breasts. Glad I had some left over taters, already have tomorrows lunch ready, can't wait, might even skip breakfast...

I've been obsessed with middle east food lately. So today I made some home made whole wheat flatbread (roti) and stuffed it with tomatoes, lettuce and muhammara. This is a delicious roasted red pepper and walnut dip flavored with cumin. I added a little tahini to it too. Yum.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1486004355.511815.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1486004367.519002.jpg

Spiced beef and pickled onion tortas with Cara Cara orange, radish, and romaine salad.

Tonight, we started with an appetizer of pizza-dough-cum-flatbread, topped with roasted sweet onion, homemade bacon, and fontina cheese. Dinner was trout meuniere with capers, too; polenta with blue cheese; and green beans with a mustard/cream sauce. Washed down with a Bogle Chard and at WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir.

So, Paul: how much time do you spend on cooking each week? You menu always sounds so good, but I cringe thinking how long this stuff would take me to make. Have to admit: while I enjoy cooking, I'm a bit slow though.

Back