What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey it's the Super Bowl. Buffalo Wings cooked on the grill and then tossed in the Frank's table side, Queso dip with Habanero Rotel tomatoes and.... bacon bits! Veggie tray for something "healthy". Enjoying the game for sure!

IMG_1994.jpg

We had chicken wings, lasagna and other varieties last night. What a game..!!

Made a killer Chicken Teriyaki using a wonderful teriyaki sauce I picked up at Costco. Nailed the chicken perfectly in the pan with a nice char to it. Then took the chicken out of the pan and tossed in some snow peas and carrots. Cooked for a minute and added the chicken back in only to have the veggies release too much moisture and dissolve my perfectly cooked chicken teriyaki char! Argggggg!

Still tasted fantastic. Going to have to either cook the veggies less or cook them by themselves and drain off any extra moisture.

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

Roasted chicken leg/thigh quarters with fresh thyme, rosemary, and garlic. Risotto made with homemade chicken stock. And roasted broccoli bathed in lemon/oil/garlic. I also made some garlic bread, just a loaf of good francese bread (i.e., Italian bread pretending to be French), cut open, doused with butter, garlic, and some Italian herbs. That little lagniappe may have been the highlight of the meal!

Roasted chicken leg/thigh quarters with fresh thyme, rosemary, and garlic. Risotto made with homemade chicken stock. And roasted broccoli bathed in lemon/oil/garlic. I also made some garlic bread, just a loaf of good francese bread (i.e., Italian bread pretending to be French), cut open, doused with butter, garlic, and some Italian herbs. That little lagniappe may have been the highlight of the meal!

Okay, Paul, you sent me to the dictionary on this one! That is a new word for me.

Okay, Paul, you sent me to the dictionary on this one! That is a new word for me.

Me too! Not only did I not know the meaning, I couldn't even pronounce it properly until I'd looked it up.

Here I was saying "log-knee-ah-pay" to myself. :)

Me too! Not only did I not know the meaning, I couldn't even pronounce it properly until I'd looked it up.

Here I was saying "log-knee-ah-pay" to myself. :)

I would like to point out that some of our favorite southern friends (I'm looking at you, @JohnD ! And you, @tonyt ) have introduced this word to WMT previously!

I think I learned it from Justin Wilson's cooking shows long ago...

I would like to point out that some of our favorite southern friends (I'm looking at you, @JohnD ! And you, @tonyt ) have introduced this word to WMT previously!

A word long in the vocabulary here in the south, long as I can remember, pronounced lan-yap by most. We even have some local publication under that title. There's usually a section in the newspaper entitled "Lagniappe" with coupons, giveaway offers, and nice human interest stories (good news).

Pretty much means "a little something extra". Like in a "bakers dozen", the thirteenth donut would be considered lagniappe. Can't remember the last time I actually received a bakers dozen..................

I am feeling better that I'm not the only one who has to look up words in the dictionary. Was starting to feel longer in the tooth than I really am. I try to build my vocabulary so I can lose it later on, was worried I was already heading into the denouement of my life.

I am feeling better that I'm not the only one who has to look up words in the dictionary. Was starting to feel longer in the tooth than I really am. I try to build my vocabulary so I can lose it later on, was worried I was already heading into the denouement of my life.

Don't worry, buddy! I'd wager you still have plenty of rising action in you yet! Probably haven't even achieved climax yet, let alone denouement.

South Indian lemon rice. Yum.

View attachment 33935

You know, you ought to be compiling these recipes into a cookbook. The wife and I are trying to eat a bit healthier (leaves room for more wine drinking) and some of these look mighty tasty. That plus my bonus daughter and her spousal equivalent are vegan. It sometimes makes holidays interesting, given that I am a dedicated omnivore.

Looks fantastic! But you left off the other side dish it seems...... :)

081-1489x1500.jpg

South Indian lemon rice. Yum.

WOW! I used to watch that guy all the time. I even purchased a couple of his cookbooks.

The funniest thing is that in one of the books, there is a picture of him and his (then) wife. Here he is, and 80 year old coot, standing next to a 30 year old Adrian Barbeau lookalike! He had a BIG SMILE on his face!

I guess it is good to be the creole king.

Back